Trim, Stores, and FLCS - ED Forums

Notices

Old 10-12-2019, 05:31 PM   #1
mattag08

Default Trim, Stores, and FLCS

I'm curious if Mover or someone with some experience could comment on how the FLCS handles changes in stores. In F4, the flight model assumed that the FLCS automatically adjusted to maintain 1G, 0 roll rate, and zero Beta with asymmetric stores. It would also adjust to maintain this condition as stores were expended. In effect, the trim acted to command a continuous pitch, roll, or yaw rate if the pilot wished to deviate from the normal trimmed condition for some (unknown) reason.

In DCS, stores configurations, asymmetry, and employing weapons cause the jet to be out of the trimmed state. From what I understand the jet should be automatically countering this with no pilot input. Is the current behavior accurate and if not is that something that will be fixed?
mattag08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 05:45 PM   #2
Tomsk

I was wondering the exact same thing. Also currently in the Viper roll trim is only correct for one speed. So if you have an asymmetry in stores and you get the plane trimmed out then if you change speed you need to re-trim the plane again. This noticeable increases pilot workload and I wonder if the real plane is like that .. if the pilot has commanded a certain trim why wouldn't the computer adjust that for speed automatically? Would be really curious how it works IRL.
Tomsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 06:57 PM   #3
Frederf
Veteran

The airplane won't auto-trim in roll if for example one bomb of a left-right pair is released. If you drop one MK-84 the airplane will not fly straight until pilot roll trim is applied. The same is true of yaw.
Frederf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 07:05 PM   #4
Tomsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederf View Post
The airplane won't auto-trim in roll if for example one bomb of a left-right pair is released. If you drop one MK-84 the airplane will not fly straight until pilot roll trim is applied. The same is true of yaw.
Yes but once the effect has been trimmed out does the pilot have to keep changing the trim with airspeed. If so .. why? A computer is really good at doing that kind of thing automatically.
Old 10-12-2019, 07:15 PM   #5
Bouli306

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomsk View Post
Yes but once the effect has been trimmed out does the pilot have to keep changing the trim with airspeed. If so .. why? A computer is really good at doing that kind of thing automatically.

Once trimmed the FLCS computer tries to keep that trim for any given speed. it is not perfect however.
Bouli306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 10:23 PM   #6
Tomsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouli306 View Post
Once trimmed the FLCS computer tries to keep that trim for any given speed. it is not perfect however.
That makes sense .. seems like it's not quite functioning in DCS currently. It doesn't really seem to make any effort to adjust the trim for speed .. or at least I find myself constantly having to trim out with an asymmetric load.

Did you (or do you) fly the Viper Bouli306?

Last edited by Tomsk; 10-12-2019 at 10:38 PM.
Old 10-13-2019, 10:09 AM   #7
mattag08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouli306 View Post
What about beta? That's probably the most frustrating part of the asymmetry at the moment.

Last edited by mattag08; 10-23-2019 at 10:14 PM.
mattag08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 03:08 PM   #8
VDV

I cant find where is the option for FLAPS (up, down and auto) ?
VDV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 03:12 PM   #9
sobek
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDV View Post
I cant find where is the option for FLAPS (up, down and auto) ?

Flaps are handled by the FLCS.
sobek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 03:32 PM   #10
VDV

Ok thanks, and is it possible to add waypoints now?
VDV is offline   Reply With Quote