Live ATC DCS servers?

JSpidey

Hey guys, want to get into a server that has live ATC/AWACS/JTAC for immersion, is there any active servers with live ATC/AWACS/JTAC for SRS? Some servers that do have a lot of unrealistic F10 options, I'm just looking for a solid realistic server with those features. Or even a squadron that implements them into their missions/ops

Edited by ItaLiaNKiinG

I find the live ATC pretty amusing, especially taxi instructions. I have yet to get taxi instructions that match taxiway names on the charts. Who knows what charts are in use or if anyone knows how to read them

Live GCI/AWACS is awesome but we really don't have enough traffic to justify live ATC, especially since no one on either side of the ATC conversation really has any clue what they should be saying or doing.

And you never know if there is live ATC. Its funny to hear ATC chastise someone for not checking in with tower before taxying when there is absolutely no way to know if there is a human controller on the freq.

We really need ATIS or a popup text message or something to let us know the field is suddenly and quite randomly, controlled.

EDsignaturefleet.jpg

I find the live ATC pretty amusing, especially taxi instructions. I have yet to get taxi instructions that match taxiway names on the charts. Who knows what charts are in use or if anyone knows how to read them

Live GCI/AWACS is awesome but we really don't have enough traffic to justify live ATC, especially since no one on either side of the ATC conversation really has any clue what they should be saying or doing.

And you never know if there is live ATC. Its funny to hear ATC chastise someone for not checking in with tower before taxying when there is absolutely no way to know if there is a human controller on the freq.

We really need ATIS or a popup text message or something to let us know the field is suddenly and quite randomly, controlled.

Well, in a operation where there is a full server and everyone knows which airbase they'll be spawning in at should make ATC more doable, squadrons could teach their new recruits how to communicate with ATC and have a dedicated ATC section that gets ATC training and attends each op. The sim just isn't complete without complete communication imo. I understand in a public server it isn't that feasible, but in a squadron's operation that they host every Sunday/Saturday would be doable I think.

Edited by ItaLiaNKiinG

Also it would make sense for AWACS/GCI to be in charge of ATC since they're already in the map/LotATC looking for targets for friendlies

Hey guys, want to get into a server that has live ATC/AWACS/JTAC for immersion, is there any active servers with live ATC/AWACS/JTAC for SRS? Some servers that do have a lot of unrealistic F10 options, I'm just looking for a solid realistic server with those features. Or even a squadron that implements them into their missions/ops

Every single server that has SRS has the basic infrastructure set up for live ATC etc.

The real question is, will anyone actually be serving in that role when you join?

The answer to that is, you can never know in advance.

Having someone do ATC/AWACS etc. for the other players requries that someone is willing to go online and do it.

If no-one is occupying that function, then it won't be there.

There is not a single server that can garuntee to have someone doing that for the players all the time. I doubt there is even a single server which can garuntee that human ATC or similar will be availble on a regular and fixed basis at specific times either.

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/philstylenz

Storm of War WW2 server website: https://stormofwar.net/

There is not a single server that can garuntee to have someone doing that for the players all the time. I doubt there is even a single server which can garuntee that human ATC or similar will be availble on a regular and fixed basis at specific times either.

Agreed. Certainly not in DCS. There are some for other simulators though. Semi-public meta-servers such as VATSIM, IVAO and PilotEdge spring to mind.

One of the differences is the lack of ATC-incentive in DCS. There are no points/scores for ATC in DCS... only air/ground/ship kills. You cannot log hours as an ATC. There is no rank system or gaining qualifications. Nor is there any authority (e.g. the ability to do something about non-complying aircraft). Or, as in PilotEdge, you don't get paid. As a result, in DCS ATC tends to be done either as a novelty or because it is part of squad operations. (By the way, the same incentive issue goes for logistics.)

For knowing that there is ATC available, one option is to have JTAC or Tac.Cmdr or GameMaster roles reserved for the ATC. So, if you see that is filled, you know that there is someone in the tower. I have also seen an ATC once on the ColdWar server repeatedly put into the in-game chat something like "ATC on 253 MHz" (although this does assume that pilots haven't hidden the in-game chat). It may also be possible to script it so that messages repeated pop-up in the top right telling pilots that ATC is available.

Agreed. Certainly not in DCS. There are some for other simulators though. Semi-public meta-servers such as VATSIM, IVAO and PilotEdge spring to mind.

One of the differences is the lack of ATC-incentive in DCS. There are no points/scores for ATC in DCS... only air/ground/ship kills. You cannot log hours as an ATC. There is no rank system or gaining qualifications. Nor is there any authority (e.g. the ability to do something about non-complying aircraft). Or, as in PilotEdge, you don't get paid. As a result, in DCS ATC tends to be done either as a novelty or because it is part of squad operations. (By the way, the same incentive issue goes for logistics.)

For knowing that there is ATC available, one option is to have JTAC or Tac.Cmdr or GameMaster roles reserved for the ATC. So, if you see that is filled, you know that there is someone in the tower. I have also seen an ATC once on the ColdWar server repeatedly put into the in-game chat something like "ATC on 253 MHz" (although this does assume that pilots haven't hidden the in-game chat). It may also be possible to script it so that messages repeated pop-up in the top right telling pilots that ATC is available.

Like I said, a squadron having ATC for their pilots is way different than having an ATC for a public server, everyone knows the date and time of a scheduled operation/mission, it's a event that is hosted once or twice a week (like most squadrons) so everyone has the date and time, a squadron with a dedicated ATC/JTAC/AWACS makes way more sense than a public server. They could be trained how to follow procedures of an ATC/JTAC/AWACS and everyone on the squadron could be trained in how to communicate with ATC/JTAC/AWACS effectively. Again, in a public server it's not realistic but in a squadron, training, attendance and the know-how is required to stay in most squadrons anyway. LotATC can be used for ATC/GCI while Combined Arms would be used for JTAC. That combined with SRS would be the most authentic experience a squadron could give their members imo.

Edited by ItaLiaNKiinG

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry I'm a bit late to the discussion, but our Task Force will usually put up an AWACS/ATC position once we have enough people online to justify it (anything over ~6) using https://www.lotatc.com/ . You're more than welcome to swing by and check us out. We have squadrons of all air frames.

https://discord.gg/AhtJRRz

This is the recruiting thread for one of our squadrons in the task force

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=250020