Cant fly without breaking the engine - Page 3 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 09-09-2019, 11:14 AM   #21
grafspee

Quote:
Originally Posted by whaaw View Post
I have two last question regarding engine:

when do i use ram air or filtered air? as of now, I use filtered on the ground and takeoff and after takeoff i go ram air and don't touch it again. I read in the forum the lever has not a function ingame because its always ram air. (posts from 2013)

when do i use carb heat? i understood its used as de-ice but only when run on ramair, and not over 12kfeet because the mixture gets to lean. my carb temp is always in the green except when im high it goes down to -20C but the engine doesn't care as far as I can tell.

otherwise, I think im pretty good now in not breaking the plane.
IF ram air is used(ram air lever forward) it uses ram air inlet visible under prop, at this position heat lever has no effect.
If you want tu use heat you have to move ram air lever back then you can engage carb heat.
Filtered position is used in dusty conditions,ground operations,etc. For t/o use ram air
Up high there is very little water in air, no need to bother with carb icing.
carb heat is used when flying in icing conditions(low temp,high humidity,snow,rain,clouds)
grafspee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 12:29 PM   #22
whaaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by grafspee View Post
IF ram air is used(ram air lever forward) it uses ram air inlet visible under prop, at this position heat lever has no effect.
If you want tu use heat you have to move ram air lever back then you can engage carb heat.
Filtered position is used in dusty conditions,ground operations,etc. For t/o use ram air
Up high there is very little water in air, no need to bother with carb icing.
carb heat is used when flying in icing conditions(low temp,high humidity,snow,rain,clouds)
thx for your replys, i think im all on its way now to fall in love with this airplane. after all the jets I flown this is probably my jumpstart into the ww2 World. And i love it
Old 09-09-2019, 05:17 PM   #23
grafspee

Quote:
Originally Posted by whaaw View Post
yeah, I think I got it now, flew the whole weekend without a broken engine.
the definitiv trick was to bind oil and water radiator to my hotas. i can now fly forever on 2700RPM 46Hg i also managed to go to 30k feet multiple times without any issues. what i use now:

2700 / 46 take-off (i know its 3000 / 60 but even with bombs i don't need that much power)
2400 / 35 Auto Cooling / Cruise / climb max 500-800ft/min
2700 / 46 Manual Cooling / max Cruise / climb up to 2000ft/min
2700 Landing

thx all!
you can get away with 2700rpm46' t/o in game, irl it is just major safty procedure, taking off at 3000 50-61' is made for that once you lift off your engine is clean, any spark plug foul burned off you are at the same time testing engine "can he take full power"if not you have time to abandon t/o . you would not like to loose engine just after lift off.
p-51 manual advice, before landing and after long low power cruise, to crank up power to 61' 3000rpm for couple minutes to clean engine.
P-51 is totaly capable of climbing from SL to 40k ft at full power setting 61' 3000rpm it can do it at WEP rating 67' with no problem too.
Oil and coolant radiator flaps should be in auto position all the time even with WEP climb, they will open fully if required.
I dont know why lot of ppl want to maintain oil temp in green all the time, no realy point for doing that.
For me green line on oil works like engine check.
If im at cruise power coolant/oil flaps are set to auto and everything is in green i know that engine is in good shape, but if for example oil temp would be above green line, that would be indication of something wrong going on, it would alarm me.
Actual p-51 manual state that at wep power rating oil tem cant exeed 95 degrees for longer then 5 minutes.
if you are at 46'2700 oil temp should be just above green line or at very end same as coolant temps. Ofc we are talking about level flight not soem crazy climbs or dives.

Last edited by grafspee; 09-12-2019 at 02:48 PM.
grafspee is offline   Reply With Quote