Tobii EyeX

Shame. I suppose eyex + IMU headtracker* might work like we're talking about, but I think I'll give it a miss till the tech matures a bit more.

*something like edtracker (or an arduino based IMU) with OpenTrack; eyex needs IR so an IMU would be a suitable complement

I've just got rid of my EyeX as I can't see myself using it at all. Especially having got the Rift.

I really can't recommend it, except for people with certain health issues. It did make my eyes ache after a while, because looking around in a combat flight sim type environment (as well as in ArmA, where I quite liked EyeX) is more of a strain due to trying to spot very small things - such as targets and threats.

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

What The Man Says....

I've just got rid of my EyeX as I can't see myself using it at all. Especially having got the Rift.

I really can't recommend it, except for people with certain health issues. It did make my eyes ache after a while, because looking around in a combat flight sim type environment (as well as in ArmA, where I quite liked EyeX) is more of a strain due to trying to spot very small things - such as targets and threats.

I have Tobi and Tracker IR and the Rift is the way to go.

:pilotfly:

i7-6700 / 32GB DDR4 / 500GB SSD / GT 108 Founders /Oculus S/ Warthog /TRP/Obutto Ozone

• 1 month later...

Just got the Tobii 4C today - have to say that with the right setup configuration the head tracking is very high res and super smooth. likewise with the gaze.

The trick is to retrain yourself - look with the direction of your head, use your eyes for the small movements at each position.

I have Track IR5, the Rift and now Tobii 4c. For me, the TrackIR is now redundant when not flying with the rift.

No more silly hat or a plethora of cables hanging from ones head - Top buy in my view.

'T'

Come pay us a visit on YouTube - search for HELI SHED

Main Banner.PNG

• 1 month later...

I am also thinking about getting the new Tobii Eye Tracker 4C, however I would be interested about the range. I have read from the specs that the range is about 90 cm. When using my flight chair with table mounted center HOTAS I am sitting about 160cm (!) away from my 3 27inch monitors so I guess this would not work. Now I thought about this possibility: couldn't I just place the Tracker Bar on the front side of my table? (so basically in the middle between my monitor and myself) I know the usual setup would be below my monitor, but I think you must calibrate it before use. If I place it on the table and I calibrate it could this work? Could anyone try?

And could anyone try if at least head tracking works on a longer distance? (for DCS it might replace my trackIR in case it would work, tired of wearing a cap...)

Thanks for any input on this! :)

• 11 months later...
Hi all

I have a Tobii Eye Tracker 4C, it work good in DCS, but i can not look up (Pitch axis).

Outside DCS the Tracker work fine in all axis.

Same issue for me.

As well I have between 60 and plus FPS in game most of the time, but with the latest DCS 2.5 and the Eye tracker 4C (eye tracking software turned ON) I gett insane shuttering/ lag efery 2-5 seconds (still the same FPS). Anyone else having the same issues?

Using an Inte Optane 900P which I first thought might be the issue but it turns out its the tobii eye tracker causing the issue.

Followed every DCS shutter post on all forums I could find and tried tweeking settings and so on until I finally tried turning of the Eye tracker :/

• 1 year later...

I have just got Trackir, having previously been a Tobii Tracker 4C user. At present, I only use them in Flight sims (DCS and MS Flight sim). I have spent time to work out the best way to program the Tracker 4C. and, as such, I get satisfactory results, but the current software is slightly less sophisticated w.r.t Trackir in areas such as zoom where this function seems to work better off a china hat type switch and being able to look around, over and under fixed items in the cockpit (such as stick and gunsight). As such, I decided to get Trackir 5, and in the majority of the functions, it is an excellent product. However, when I try to tune it I do not seem to be able to get a stable "ïn cockpit look down". Being fairly new to the sim environment (and not forgetting quite old) I need to spend lots of time when attempting programming in data for avionics and weapons etc. but cannot get the kind of stability in the views I get with the Tobii tracker. In my first efforts to use trackir, I have leaned heavily on the excellent vid by Gerry Abbott which provides an insight to tuning Trackir and is which is available on youtube, but I cannot find a way around the problem of looking down in comfort enough to set up flight plans and such like in the cockpit. Can anyone help or advise please.

Edited by Todd Down