RB-15 can't select Bx8 to fix it

Eihort

So before the patch I followed John's video and was able to use the Rb-15s successfully.

1. Took off

2. Flew to an approx waypoint to start looking for ships

3. Found ships on the radar

4. Successfully radar fixed Bx8 near them

5. Successfully radar fixed Bx7 since they were in a port and I had to attack from a specific direction

6. Got correct HUD symbology and pickled

7. Ship is no more

Now post patch, all ready to try it in an op with my buddies and:

1. Took off

2. Flew to an approx waypoint to start looking for ships

3. Found ships on the radar

4. Everything fell apart because I couldn't select Bx8 on the computer to set it. Tried setting it manually with coords and it apparently got stored in B8 instead.

Tried it in both NAV and APPR mode (I use english pit. Fite me.). Weapon dial set to attack. Nothing I seems to do shows me ANY of the Bx# points on the nav computer...

Did I muck it up? New bug? q_q

Brave pilots were (virtually) lost to a ship that I was supposed to delet.

The problem of bx8 confirm that it does not work. Moreover, this module is currently broken, should be reviewed by developers.

Are you able to replicate this in single player? If so, would you be able to post a track?

DCS AJS37 HACKERMAN

There will always be bugs. If everything is a priority nothing is.

I press Bx and then 8 to select it and the computer does nothing. I try and program it and it appears to go into B8 and not Bx8.

Can you post a track? If not, do you have the dcs.log?

DCS AJS37 HACKERMAN

Just tried SP mission with the RB15. Latest OB patch. Working as advertised.

Attk selected, ANF.

Bx then DATA panel keypad (not the WPT buttons)

Hit T1 Fix to bring up cross on radar screen, position cross over target on radar, Hit TV

Job done. In SP at least

Is the OP hitting the Data key?

MSI Tomahawk X570 Mobo, Ryzen 5600X undervolted on Artic Freezer E34 Cooler, RTX3080 FE, 32GB (2x16GB Dual Ranked) GSkil 3600 CL16 Trident Neo RAM, 2X 4th Gen M2 SSDs, Corsair RM850x PSU, Lancool 215 Case. 

Gear: MFG Crosswinds, Warthog Throttle, Virpil T50CM gen 1 stick, TIR5, Cougar MFD (OOA), D-link H7/B powered USB 2.0 Hub all strapped to a butchered Wheel stand pro, Cushion to bang head on, wall to scream at.  

I realized there is something here:

If you try to select Bx-waypoint (or rather any special waypoint) without loading a data-cartridge or without previously defining that waypoint you'll hit undefined behavior. The CK37 will try load whatever is stored at that memory address. I've purposely kept these in as it is a realistic representation of the computer. It wouldn't load B8 as far as I can tell though. I've now added logic that will make sure that there are memory stored there that makes sense to the computer even though there is no data cartridge, I little less realistic maybe but for game-play reasons, just as the logic to place Bx8 in front of the aircraft when trying to make a fix when it hasn't been set before.

Wasn't able to reproduce the issue in the post though. I did this:

1. Joined a random multiplayer server with Caucasus map

2. Started the aircraft as per normal startup routine

3. Inserted cartridge and set REFLOLA and IN 9099 LS when CK was ready

4. Out, AKT and Bx and then keypad 8

5. Set A1 and then T1

6. Fix appeared on radar straight in front of the aircraft, as expected.

I'll need more info.

Edited by RagnarDa

DCS AJS37 HACKERMAN

If we had realistic logic where would Bx8 be when trying to make a radar fix? 00N000E? Could you clarify what you mean "make sure that there are memory stored there that makes sense to the computer even though there is no cartridge"? Does CK37 have on-board memory, or is all data stored on the cartridge?

It interests me what's in the cartridge, what isn't, and what happens when it isn't there. In my practice missions I will sometimes depart without the data cartridge inserted (or without loading it), and CK37 will switch to B1 (ME route) when weight is off wheels. Does CK37 automatically load the cartridge on takeoff?

Thank you.

Wow! "What would undefined behavior of a almost 60 year old computer be?" <- This is possibly the nerdiest topic ever :D

I haven't put super-much thought into this but I guess I at some time considered that CK37 possibly stored waypoints in a flat plane-system since it measures distances between points constantly, and latitude/longitude differ a lot considering where on earth you are. A flat plane cant be used in a too large area but Viggen wasn't supposed to fly much outside of sweden anyway. So I went with that and put the origo where the DCS map has its origo (so in Caucasus its on the Krim peninsula). Everywhere else where there is UB I would opt to go with what would be the C/C++ way of handling UBs. Please don't start to complain about this since it's well out of scope for the module. There is a lot of believable mismanagment representations already modeled in Viggen (for example I believe it's the first module where you could have a misaligned INS, and also the first/only where the gyroscope can be misaligned or drift).

DCS AJS37 HACKERMAN

I recognize that I was using badly when entering Bx8 in navigation mode and not ANF. :doh: :chair:

I was also doing that wrong and tested today. Works like a charm!

Det är kanon!! (It's cannon... :doh: )

| Strix Z490-H | i5 10600K | MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Gaming X | 32GB 3000MHz DDR4 | 256 Gb SDD Samsung 840 Pro + 480Gb SDD Kingston + 500 Gb HDD | Acer Predator Z1 2560*1440p | TM Warthog HOTAS | 2x MFD Cougar | Buddyfox A10 UFC  | TrackIR 5 | Win10 Pro 64-Bit Swedish |

| A-10C Warthog | AJS-37 Viggen | F-86F Sabre | F/A-18 Hornet | KA-50 Blackshark | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | UH-1H Huey | FC3 | CA | WWII Assets Pack | Supercarrier |