10 reason to buy this module please :)

Bigskill

I have been podering to buy this module, I like the delta wings, love the sound and I will use it mostly for low and fast attack and interdictions, I mostly play online.

Is it worth it (Around ca$70.00).

I heard in AA is not so great tho.

Cant decide atm, form your prospective, what you think?

Positive and negative side?

Thank you :D

1) Deep strike capability currently unmatched in other DCS modules.

2) All weather strike

3) Ground radar and radar navigation (along with tactical navigation with the CK-37)

4) An innovative and unconventional avionics suite that allows you to do with one seat what would otherwise require 2 seats (in that generation of aircraft)

5) Anti-ship capability

6) Mjolnir guided cluster munitions

7) Low altitude high speed NOE flying

8 ) A completely different experience from other DCS modules

9) VigWalkman

9.5) Some really cool skins available :D

and finally...

10) Heatblur modeled a masterpiece!

I don't own the module so my opinion is pretty worthless but from what I've seen on YouTube, it is a very good strike jet. So, if that's what you'll use it for, then you probably won't be disappointed. It is not great at air-to-air but it wasn't designed to be. You can still load it up with sidewinders (or the equivalent) and get a few sneak kills though.

Thx for the few words guys, what about the speed? Could be faster than the F15?

Down low, absolutely (the F-15 is faster at altitude). The viggen can also fly supersonic with external stores. However, if you find yourself in a fight with an F-15, you're pretty much done.

Down low, absolutely (the F-15 is faster at altitude). The viggen can also fly supersonic with external stores. However, if you find yourself in a fight with an F-15, you're pretty much done.

Yeah thats a problem that happen a lot lately due to the borked FM that F15 has but I was hoping to be faster over the ground.

The delta wing of the Viggen allows it to be fast at low altitude (less lift and less induced drag), so it is a speed demon down low. However, it also has a low ceiling because the delta wings don't give you the lift in the thinner air of high altitude.

I have been podering to buy this module, I like the delta wings, love the sound and I will use it mostly for low and fast attack and interdictions, I mostly play online.

The Viggen requires a flight plan in order to strike a target, but the missions at most Servers have Viggens usually with no flight plan pre-made or the default plan is not appropiate to the current objective.

To use the Viggen on those Servers you have to create your fligh plan while on the cockpit, which can be a bit laborious, as this video shows:

Yub8f03dr9U

I've binded the numeric keypad of my keyboard to the numeric keys of the Viggen, in order to make the data input a bit easier.

In my opinion, yes ... but I strive to never pay list price for a DCS module, if I know that I will not be able to wait for a sale on some new aircraft, then I purchase it with the pre-release discount. Older modules get purchased only when they are at sale ... this attitude can save you quite a bit on the long run, as my log shows:

tePFvBv.png

The Viggens can carry Sidewinder, but just for self defence and as last resort ... I usually dont carry them and trust more on low flying and terrain masking to avoid detection.

I actually love the Viggen, but for online play it's best for use on private servers, with a group of fellow pilots where they design cooperative and pvp missions that have been designed to fit a group of Viggens ... on air-quake servers the Viggen doesnt shine.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

As an anti-maritime attack asset the Viggen is amazing (both in tems of effectiveness and fun), IMO.

The main problem I have with it, is that so many multiplayer servers aren't providing maritime targets to go after, despite the massive areas of open water (especially on Caucasus and Normandy maps).

Skimming the waves tops in heavy weather in the Viggen is an incredibly satisfying experience.

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/philstylenz

Storm of War WW2 server website: https://stormofwar.net/

The main problem I have with it, is that so many multiplayer servers aren't providing maritime targets to go after, despite the massive areas of open water (especially on Caucasus and Normandy maps).

from personal expierience the acg cold war server (or similar servers) have plenty of missions perfectly suitable for the viggen.

they even have a special mission for anti-ship operations

on this setting the viggen really shines!

sincer there are only older aircrafts allowed, the viggen is also capable to use as dogfighter - not perfect but you get your kills ;)

sigpic.png.4d2403c54e341ae5cf45e3309e87cb2c.png

from personal expierience the acg cold war server (or similar servers) have plenty of missions perfectly suitable for the viggen.

they even have a special mission for anti-ship operations

on this setting the viggen really shines!

sincer there are only older aircrafts allowed, the viggen is also capable to use as dogfighter - not perfect but you get your kills ;)

I also find that to be the best server for using the Viggen.

Example video:

There are still some missions with little to do against shipping the "phone booth" one I think? . . but generally, yeah, I take the Viggen on ACG server.

Somthing I find frustrating with many DCS servers, is they seem to want to cater to ALL aircraft, all the time.

I much prefer to fly on servers with limited historically correct planesets, missions and assets. At least then everyone is on a more level tech playing field. This is also why ACG is a favourtite, they decided to stick with a 1970s/80s "cold war" planeset (if you ignore the Sabre and early MiG). This is a decision I have a lot of resepct for.

Edited by philstyle

I love Viggen, it's probably my favorite module, but to be objective, let's mention couple of downsides as well:

- no internal guns (you can equip gunpods)

- no internal countermeasures (you can equip CME pods)

- limited interdiction capability

- A2A weapons and avionics suite is very very basic

- no A2A refueling

So you're fairly limited in what you can do in the air. Basically, you go to target, you dump your stores on it and you go back. What you can't really do is to loiter in the area and pick off targets in a similar manner A10 can.

You also need to make compromises in what stores you equip due to lack of internal guns and CME. Gun pods, CME pods and antiship missiles occupy same hardpoints so you have to choose. Viggen can carry up to 4 Mavericks, but then you can equip only RB24 A2A missiles instead of more advanced RB74 so again, you need to compromise.

In A2A combat, Viggen can hold it's own against Mig 21, but against anything newer, you either run or die.

It's also fair to mention, that there are bunch of persistent, annoying bugs, like that the repair doesn't work, the RB74 missile performs nowhere near it's potential and one of the most powerful weapons, the BK90 cluster munition dispenser, doesn't work properly in MP.

On the upside, LN has been really working hard to fix those (and generally are very responsive to bug reports) and for example, we should get BK90 for MP soon.

So in the end, it really depends on what you're looking for. If you're looking for a plane that will dominate the battlefield by destroying all the available, dispersed ground targets and then can go hunt enemy 4th gen fighters, you won't get that.

I can mention why I do love Viggen though. First off, it's amazingly fast plane, with unique design philosophy, which has been modeled with tremendous attention to detail (the sounds!).

And second, it gives me the right mix of automation and stick on flying. Your navigation suite is helpful and easy enough to operate that you still have the incentive to use it and same goes for radar. But it's not completely point - follow cue - obliterate of A10C.

Lastly, I agree that ACG Cold War is by far the best place for Viggen. Most of the missions have exactly the targets Viggen excels in destroying and A2A environment is challenging but not impossibly so.

• Thanks 1

I love Viggen, it's probably my favorite module, but to be objective, let's mention couple of downsides as well:

- no internal guns (you can equip gunpods)

- no internal countermeasures (you can equip CME pods)

- limited interdiction capability

- A2A weapons and avionics suite is very very basic

- no A2A refueling

So you're fairly limited in what you can do in the air. Basically, you go to target, you dump your stores on it and you go back. What you can't really do is to loiter in the area and pick off targets in a similar manner A10 can.

You also need to make compromises in what stores you equip due to lack of internal guns and CME. Gun pods, CME pods and antiship missiles occupy same hardpoints so you have to choose. Viggen can carry up to 4 Mavericks, but then you can equip only RB24 A2A missiles instead of more advanced RB74 so again, you need to compromise.

In A2A combat, Viggen can hold it's own against Mig 21, but against anything newer, you either run or die.

It's also fair to mention, that there are bunch of persistent, annoying bugs, like that the repair doesn't work, the RB74 missile performs nowhere near it's potential and one of the most powerful weapons, the BK90 cluster munition dispenser, doesn't work properly in MP.

On the upside, LN has been really working hard to fix those (and generally are very responsive to bug reports) and for example, we should get BK90 for MP soon.

So in the end, it really depends on what you're looking for. If you're looking for a plane that will dominate the battlefield by destroying all the available, dispersed ground targets and then can go hunt enemy 4th gen fighters, you won't get that.

I can mention why I do love Viggen though. First off, it's amazingly fast plane, with unique design philosophy, which has been modeled with tremendous attention to detail (the sounds!).

And second, it gives me the right mix of automation and stick on flying. Your navigation suite is helpful and easy enough to operate that you still have the incentive to use it and same goes for radar. But it's not completely point - follow cue - obliterate of A10C.

Lastly, I agree that ACG Cold War is by far the best place for Viggen. Most of the missions have exactly the targets Viggen excels in destroying and A2A environment is challenging but not impossibly so.

Thank you for taking time to elaborate.

I really want a fast plane to do AG, I like the viggen shape sound etc, I think Im going to get it as soon as goes in sale again, hopefully soon, not sure how long I can keep my desire calm XD

Thank you :D

In case you haven't bought it yet.

1. Unique aircraft.

2. Simulated with the ability to operate independent of any navaids, GPS or GCI etc. So a truly Cold War gone hot aircraft. If the enemy has crippled your GPS/Navaids/bases, you continue! Designed by the Swedes to attack enemy positions with known coordinates. More on that later!

3. Handling that simulates a single engine Bomber, so it's challenging. No flying a toy aircraft on rails here!

4. Flameouts can be corrected with straightforward procedure.

5. BK90 is superb. This is about to get an upgrade that will make the enemies eyes water and give us satisfying eye candy!

6. Anti Ship weapons permit either complex BVR and Beyond Radar Range attacks or close in and dangerous attacks.

7. Hand giuded missile that took hundreds of hours of simulator practice before front line pilots were typed to carry it! Keep you busy for months!

8. Three types of Mavrick available.

9. Sidewinders that are very useful for self defense. Get a enemy aircraft in the seeker zone and it's a kill.

10. You can receive coordinates from JTAC (CTLD) if any are alive down there and quickly input them into your INS set them up as target points and prosecute them. This gives a battlefield fluidity to the sim.

Also can be flown at night or in fog and provided the weapon choice is correct, get the job done. You can land in fog/night using the Swedish version of ILS....see my movie. Oh, did I mention you can land on a road, with a powerful reverse thrust bucket you can really stop this aircraft!

My Mission Not Impossible here;

Cheers!

Edited by Accipiter
Link to video added

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]i7 Haswell @ 4.6Ghz, Z97p, GTX1080, 32GB DDR3, x3SSD, Win7/64, professional. 32" BenQ, TIR 5, Saitek x55 HOTAS.

Search User Files for "herky" for my uploaded missions. My flight sim videos on You Tube. https://www.youtube.com/user/David Herky

Thank you for taking time to elaborate.

I really want a fast plane to do AG, I like the viggen shape sound etc, I think Im going to get it as soon as goes in sale again, hopefully soon, not sure how long I can keep my desire calm XD

It's on sale atm, and is currently my only Full-Fidelity sim next to the L-39 (waiting for the Hornet).

I don't really have anything to add to the points listed above. I just feel that not one other module at this moment matches the feeling the cockpit modelled sounds give you while you're darting over the deck at Mach 1, especially since the 2.5 graphic update.

EDIT: Sale Link: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=206798

Edited by Lithion
Added sale link

T.16000m HOTAS + Pedals || TrackIR5 ||

Win10 64bit || 120+500GB SSD, 1TB HDD || i5 4440 @3.3GHz || 16GB RAM @ 1600MHz || GTX1070 G1 ||

FCIII, L39ZA, AJS-37, Normandy '44, Persian Gulf, Channel

F/A-18C, Bf-109 K-4, WW2 Asset Pack, CA, P-47, F-16

For those who played DID Tornado back in the day, does the Viggen strike mission experience feel a bit like that gameplay? It sounds like it might. Finger over the purchase button here...

If you're talking about the 1993 DI game called "Tornado", then it's hard to make any fair comparisons due to age.

However, the concept (low and fast strike missions) is thr same I guess based on the few vidoes I found of that game.

Here's what the same kind of thing looks like now, in the DCS Viggen: