DCS : F4U-1 Corsair

Hueyman

They probably started to model the Yorktown class years ago, when the F4U was planned to be just the first step into a massive Pacific war project.

I agree that an Essex class carrier would have been a better choice for what we have know. Never really understood why developers didn't focus on Korea first after the F-86, MiG-15 and a late model P-51D had been released back then.

• 3 weeks later...
They probably started to model the Yorktown class years ago, when the F4U was planned to be just the first step into a massive Pacific war project.

I agree that an Essex class carrier would have been a better choice for what we have know. Never really understood why developers didn't focus on Korea first after the F-86, MiG-15 and a late model P-51D had been released back then.

Probably because Korea is a low hype scenario instead of WWII Pacific theater that could be a game changer. Carriers ops in the Pacific has much more hype & sell potential, could be the jump start for a lot of scenario and modules in a setup with virtually no competitors (IL2 team abandoned the project for the moment...).

Inviato dal mio BLA-L09 utilizzando Tapatalk

Probably because Korea is a low hype scenario instead of WWII Pacific theater that could be a game changer. Carriers ops in the Pacific has much more hype & sell potential, could be the jump start for a lot of scenario and modules in a setup with virtually no competitors (IL2 team abandoned the project for the moment...).

Inviato dal mio BLA-L09 utilizzando Tapatalk

The korean war involved carrier ops in the pacific.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Maybe that is one of the nice things about an F4U module: it can fit in both with the WW2 scenarios and the Korean scenarios. It would stand out as a little bit odd at Midway, though... (no worries, just the purists wouldn't like it).

Well, regardless of which carrier or which theater, the Corsair will be a first day buy for me!! :thumbup:

me too brother! I really look forward to flying Whistling Death... :thumbup:

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Maybe that is one of the nice things about an F4U module: it can fit in both with the WW2 scenarios and the Korean scenarios. It would stand out as a little bit odd at Midway, though... (no worries, just the purists wouldn't like it).

The purist in you should also note that the -4 is not what we are getting but is what was flown in Korea......a 3 blade Hog with Korean theater markings looks goofy.

Are we getting the F4U-1C or D?

I'm hoping we get both. Having the option between the 6 .50 cals or the 4 Hispanos would be nice.

Hardware: T-50 Mongoose, VKB STECS, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: AH-64D, Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, F-16C, F-15E, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria

That is very true however, as long as they are going to build a WWII carrier for the one and only (so far) carrier capable plane in DCS, why not build a model of one that not only operated Corsairs off of it during WWII but also had them aboard during Korea?? I realize that it was the -4, -4B and -5 that flew in Korea but I would take a -1D off an Essex class on a map with P-51's, F-86's and Mig-15's any day. I guess I have an over active imagination! :pilotfly:

....and besides, just like the Essex, the Corsair did not fly during any of the early carrier battles. It wasn't until late '44, early '45 that Corsairs were assigned to her.

I am a purist but with a very active immagination! :thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 1 month later...
Is work still being done on this module, or has it been put on hold?

Great question...it seems that the Christen Eagle II is taking a lot longer to release then originally planned. According to this post: https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3471322&postcount=1, the CE II would have been given to ED for initial review on May 9 so there must have been some significant issues that needed to be corrected.

I wonder how this delay affects the Corsair and associated content (Pacific map and aircraft carrier)…?

Edited by =BJM=

i5 7600K @4.8GHz | 1080 Ti | 32GB 3200MHz | SSD | DCS SETTINGS | "COCKPIT"

They gave a 1 liner about it in the Autumn Update, I'd imagine we'll get Christmas Sneak Peeks like we did last year.

Last but not least, is a note on F4U-1D Corsair development. We can proudly report that PBR conversion of it's textures is underway.

It would be nice to get a Corsair update. Some pics maybe too :)
+1

Hardware: T-50 Mongoose, VKB STECS, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: AH-64D, Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, F-16C, F-15E, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

• 2 weeks later...

I imagine along with all the complexities of putting a module together for DCS building the right sounds for these aircraft is incredibly challenging. Reproducing the little quirks of how piston engines, especially the radials, with their temperamental lope while cold and then the warmed up steady thrum through different rpm ranges. One thing I have always missed is that bass reverberation that you get standing next to these aircraft.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2038444043042180/permalink/2273279549558627/

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Leonardo Da Vinci

"We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea, whether it is to sail or to watch - we are going back from whence we came."

John F. Kennedy

• 4 weeks later...

Coming back to this, I would like to see more Corsair rendered/ingame pics soon. I mean, the recent ED newsletter has a looong overdue shot of the I-16 from Octopus. Last pic I saw of the Corsair from M3 was in an overedited shot alongside the CE2.

There will be more, don't worry. We don't plan to hide anything that can be shown to you guys.

AMD Ryzen 5900X @ 4.95 Ghz / Asus Crosshair VII X470 / 32 GB DDR4 3600 Mhz Cl16 / Radeon 6800XT / Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD / Creative SoundBlaster AE-9 / HP Reverb G2 / VIRPIL T-50CM /
Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Audio Technica ATH-MSR7