F/A-18C Armament Thread

Angelthunder

I agree with Lithion. Real life procedures or how they employ/use the weapons shouldn't have any impact on DCS: F/A-18C.

The real capabilities is what matters here. We should be free to use/employ/carry whatever we want, and the way we want within the sim. That's how DCS is at the moment and I don't want it to be changed.

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As Mentioned,

USMC F/A-18s, Have Underdone Upgrades, Along w/ RCAF who finally got the BRU-55 in 2015.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

As Mentioned,

USMC F/A-18s, Have Underdone Upgrades, Along w/ RCAF who finally got the BRU-55 in 2015.

Does this count?

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20060718006084/en/EDO-Delivers-Production-Smart-Rack-Navy

Looks to me like the Navy F/A-18 could and did carry the BRU-55 before 2015

"The BRU-55 will initially be utilized on the F/A-18 A+, C & D models. The Super Hornet (F/A-18 E/F) will be BRU-55 capable upon completion of an ongoing integration-and-test effort."

So basically the F/A-18C had already completed integration testing for the BRU-55 and was ready for use in 2006.

Edited by VincentLaw

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Check the photo here for two Marine F/A-18C Hornets getting ready for takeoff with dual GBU-12s on a BRU-55. https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3266262&postcount=68

I think the purpose of the simulator should be to simulate the capabilities of the aircraft as realistically as possible. If the real F/A-18C Lot 20 can carry the BRU-55, but the US Navy decided not to take advantage of that capability, then it should be up to the mission designers to exclude the BRU-55 from missions.

If the aircraft is capable of a certain feature or set-up, it'll likely be included in the sim. If it's not, then don't expect it. If game programming limitations prevent something from being featured, the developers will have to make trade-offs and I'd rather they strive to simulate how a particular platform was used in practice as opposed to what would be cooler. That's my point. Given photographic proof, it seems like the F/A-18 not only carries two GBU-12s at one station, but does so operationally. I don't have a problem with it.

My issue is when people start asking for things that straight-up never happened, like AMRAAMs on the F-14. I know all it lacked was a software upgrade, but if that software upgrade never happened in real life, then it wasn't part of the plane.

Probably one of those things the navy can do but doesn’t do often or at all usually, because there is not a huge need for it/logistical concerns/airframe stress/whatever.

Someone mentioned F-14 6 X Aim54s, another example would be empty VLS cells on a destroyer

The point is, they certainly can use 55s on legacy’s if the need arises, and if the benefits start outweighing the costs. You could say the same thing regarding those two other examples.

I think it should be available in the sim for that reason first ergo the sim can be used too demonstrate hypothetical scenarios and secondly for the sake of representing other operators of the hornet like USMC who regularly use that configuration.

Edited by Wizard_03

DCS F/A-18C :sorcerer:

Does this count?

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20060718006084/en/EDO-Delivers-Production-Smart-Rack-Navy

Looks to me like the Navy F/A-18 could and did carry the BRU-55 before 2015

"The BRU-55 will initially be utilized on the F/A-18 A+, C & D models. The Super Hornet (F/A-18 E/F) will be BRU-55 capable upon completion of an ongoing integration-and-test effort."

So basically the F/A-18C had already completed integration testing for the BRU-55 and was ready for use in 2006.

BRU 55s were not deployed to the USN fleet in 2006, the USMC acquired them first.

That Article was a "Here's the Plan" Article, however, delay's happened, and the BRU-55's were never deployed to the Fleet until long after that article was published.

EDO Corporation (NYSE: EDO) has delivered the first of 135 BRU-55 dual-carriage, "smart" bomb racks to the US Navy as part of Lot #1 production.

The BRU-55 will initially be utilized on the F/A-18 A+, C & D models. The Super Hornet (F/A-18 E/F) will be BRU-55 capable upon completion of an ongoing integration-and-test effort.

The First of 135, iirc, was about half dozen units, and they went directly to fleet test squardons, and that was it, the rest of those BRU-55s were not delivered until 2015,

And they went directly to super hornet sqns, as the plan to retire the legacy airframes and give to the USMC had already been approved by Congress.

Edited by SkateZilla

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

BRU 55s were not deployed to the USN fleet in 2006, the USMC acquired them first.

The Marine Corps also exclusively uses the Litening pod.

Asus ROG Maximus X Apex//Core I7 8700K @ 5.3Ghz //32GB DDR4 RAM//Asus 3090 RTX//4K monitor w/ TrackIR 5

The Marine Corps also exclusively uses the Litening pod.

USMC Only uses the Litening on land, when deployed w/ fleet they use ATFLIR provided by the Navy.

USMC had their Hornet's upgraded with expanding wiring for the centerline and fuselage hardpoints. they can use the Litening on either side fuselage station and on the centerline station.

USMC Bought Litenings used from USAF cheaper than the cost of new ATFLIR pods.

GBU-12 and 16s. I am not 100% sure about the JDAMs however, I have seen websites claiming that the BRU-33 is capable of carrying and employing GBU-38/32 and 54.

As for the JSOW, I doubt it, we would need the BRU-55 in this case (AFAIK).

BRU-33/A does not deploy Guided Munitions. (GBU's included).

Dual Conventional Bombs and Rocket Pods are used on the BRU-33/A

LGBs don’t have any data connection to the aircraft, so no technical reason they can’t be. Whether they are qualified to be loaded on a BRU-33 on the Hornet is a different matter.

• Like 1

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

LGBs don’t have any data connection to the aircraft, so no technical reason they can’t be. Whether they are qualified to be loaded on a BRU-33 on the Hornet is a different matter.

That's exactly what I was thinking. The only 'connection' I can think of is the fuzing cable. Which would be from the arming safety switch to the bomb itself.

i7yG6Vy.png

Wait for an official statement from ED regarding planned weapons and loadouts, there's no point in getting into a heated debate over something that hasnt been confirmed to be in or out.

• Like 1

That's exactly what I was thinking. The only 'connection' I can think of is the fuzing cable. Which would be from the arming safety switch to the bomb itself.

Not sure if this apply, but here are some examples of GBU wiring setup

[ATTACH]148306[/ATTACH]

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

Agreed. But the discussion was about the BRU-33 being able to carry and release GBUs.

I wonder if they GBU are to close to each other to properly separate on a BRU-33? Do they fit with the fins?

Edit:

I guess they do:

https://farm5.static.flickr.com/4399/36473322136_7264b6a6f9_b.jpg

http://www.afwing.com/intro/f18/bru55.jpg

By the way, I am not saying the F/A-18 lot 21 can or can't carry GBU on the BRU-33, simply noting that looks like they do fit next to each other.

Edited by mvsgas

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

Posted without checking, lot 21 is single aircraft Bu#165526 block 52, ours should be the 10 prior, BLOCK 51, 165399 thru 165408. Thanks for noticing.

• Like 1

To whom it may concern,

Not sure if it's a typo but our Lot is 20, 21 would be Super Hornet already.

Actually there is a Lot 21 F-18C......literally a as in a single airframe (Buno 165526) :)

Crap - sniped by mvsgas :D .

But IIRC Lot 21 actually also contained a handful of F-18Ds as well as the first couple of SuperHornets.

Edited by Alfa
  • Like 1

JJ