Differences between the A-10 C and A-10A

BlueMax

If you get the A-10A, be prepared to memorize about a dozen or so keyboard commands.

If you get the A-10C, be prepared to read a 600 page manual, learn how many types of weapons work like laser guided bombs, cluster munitions, etc. Be prepared to learn the complicated computer system and how to use the avionics.

If you know how to fly DCS: A-10C, you know how to fly the Hog in real life, that's the level of realism you should be prepared for.

That said, once you learn the A-10C, you'll be a lot more effective at engaging targets. In the A-10A, i cant last more than 10 minutes without being shot down because the plane is so simplified and limited. In the A-10C, I can last over an hour and engage dozens upon dozens of targets including SAM sites, AAA sites, tanks, APCs, trucks, etc

You could make the A-10C your sim career if you wanted to, that is if you wanted to be real efficient in the jet, just like IRL.

Part of the DCS A-10C software was used to train up pilots IRL, it's used in the transition training from the A-10A to the newer A-10C systems.

Plenty of great info can be found / downloaded HERE

attachment.php?attachmentid=170812&stc=1&d=1508281208

Also checkout Chuck's PDF manual

A10C.jpg.0ccd32fd13f0b5194fce40f69c5d881d.jpg

• Like 1

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

attachment.php?attachmentid=170812&stc=1&d=1508281208

I was always impressed that those guys could fly the hog with all its buttons using a T-flight. I certainly couldn't do it! It was kinda funny when I walked past a supply closet at my old training squadron and saw boxes of T-flights just sitting there. I've also seen rooms with a Warthog stick mounted to every desk, and a set of CH pedals at everyones feet!

Come fly with me, lets fly, lets fly away! -Sinatra

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My Specs: Lenovo Y50 with GTX 860m (2GB), i7 4700HQ 2.4GHz, 8GB Ram. Corsair K70(MX Blues are awesome!), Benq GW2760HS monitor, Steelseries V3 Prism headset, TM Warthog Hotas, Sidewinder FFB2 W/ FLCS grip, CH Pro pedals, TrackIR5, KW-908 Jetseat

I love it how everybody scares people with the manual... lol, don't take it like that. You can learn the aircraft without reading it, but if you are curious about anything, you can find the information in it

'Shadow'

Everybody gotta be offended and take it personally now-a-days

I love it how everybody scares people with the manual... lol, don't take it like that. You can learn the aircraft without reading it, but if you are curious about anything, you can find the information in it

You mean learning to operate the A-10C by random pushing knobs..?? I don't quite agree. Things like startup, operating the CDU, the DSMS, the profile settings of the CCIP/CCRP weapons, etc etc etc is something that can't be learned by just trial and error. RTFM is the keyword here.

You mean learning to operate the A-10C by random pushing knobs..?? I don't quite agree. Things like startup, operating the CDU, the DSMS, the profile settings of the CCIP/CCRP weapons, etc etc etc is something that can't be learned by just trial and error. RTFM is the keyword here.

I guess he's refering to the tutorial missions. They have not been around when I started with the A-10C, so I had no choice to learn this bird by the manual, but that's how I learn new DCS modules still today. I've never touched any of the tutorials. A good manual is all you need :thumbup:

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

I guess he's refering to the tutorial missions. They have not been around when I started with the A-10C, so I had no choice to learn this bird by the manual, but that's how I learn new DCS modules still today. I've never touched any of the tutorials. A good manual is all you need :thumbup:

Agree, QuiGon. I did look at the tutorial missions, but they aren't as much help as the manual. Far from that. Good tutorials could be found on Youtube, but still: manual is better for understanding and learning.

No I was not refering to pushing randon knobs and switches, hoping for a miracle.

I believe that doing something in practise or being shown an example is way better than reading on theory.

The tutorials on the A-10C are good initial point to give you the basics, which on the other hand should spark your intereset to start watching DCS videos (tutorial, or just old ralfidude videos and wonder how he did that, or "öw, the way he does it is pretty neat-o") and after that to read up on the manual for even greater details .

Chuck's guides are a good read too.

Sadly on a lot of the modules, the tutorials are pretty underwhelming and not detailed at all. Some are of big need of an update.

So yeah, don't be scared of the manual. You don't need to read from start to end just to start the jet or do anything

Edited by Shadow KT
  • Like 1

'Shadow'

Everybody gotta be offended and take it personally now-a-days

• 2 weeks later...

Agreed, the A-10C tutorials are a great place to get started, and along with practice missions help you to get many different procedures into muscle memory. I refer to the manual very seldom and prefer to find info from the great posts and video tutorials in this forum.

It takes some time and practice but anyone can learn to do this, and the rewards are far beyond anything you'll get from simpler sims.