SU-27S/SM(2) research.

Frosty

simple rules, this thread is all about proving we can find enough information we can dig up on the Su-27SM and possibly the SM2

anything related to the su-27SM equipment. mach values. engine. reference images to cockpit, livery's flight manuals, specs, turning circles ect. post it here.

lets show the 3rd parties how much we want this :thumbup:

i'll start with this.

it has a LOT of interesting information regarding Russian radar of all sorts.

http://aerospace.boopidoo.com/philez/Su-15TM%20PICTURES%20&%20DOCS/Overscan's%20guide%20to%20Russian%20Military%20Avionics.htm

one particularly interesting bit is this part

"N011M Bars is an upgraded phased array antenna version of the N011.

Under development since the early 1990s, two prototype N011M radars were produced, of which one was flight tested in Su-27M prototype "712". It is now in production, and is currently fitted to the Su-30MKI.

Antenna diameter is 1m, antenna gain 36dB, the main sidelobe level is -25dB, average sidelobe level is -48dB, beamwidth is 2.4° with 12 distinct beam shapes. The antenna weighs 110kg. It is both mechanically and electronically scanned to give increased field of view over a fixed phased array antenna and also to allow the radar to be tilted away when not in use, decreasing RCS. Two variants were initially proposed, the first was both electronically and mechanically scanned in azimuth (±30° mechanically plus ±60° electronically, for a total coverage of ±90°) and electronically scanned in elevation (±60°). The second was mechanically and electronically scanned in both azimuth and elevation (±90° in both axes).

The N011M fitted to the Su-30MKI was the first type, but in testing the passive phased array proved unable to be electronically steered greater than 40° without unacceptable degredation of performance. Therefore scanning limits are reduced to ±70° (±30° mechanically, ±40° electronically) in azimuth and ±40° in elevation.

Peak power output is 4-5kW, average power output is 1.2kW.

Ts200 PSP (Programmable Signal Processor)

Data entry speed: 28 MHz

Peak performance on fourier transforms of "butterfly" type: 75 Million operations per second.

Radar control processor

Number of processors: 3

Processor RAM (or possibly Flash memory): 16 Mb

Processor ROM: 16 Mb

Weight of complete radar system is 650kg.

Initially India were supposed to construct both programmable signal processors (PSP) and data processors (RC) under project "Vetrivale" to replace the original Russian components. Unfortunately, LRDE expressed their inability to develop the system within the envisaged time frame, especially in view of the non-finalisation of the required technical specification by NIIP. The project therefore reverted to the Ts200 PSP originally designed for the Su-27M's N011. The initial radar data processor delivered was also Russian.

The contract for the N011M radar has three stages. The initial MK1 software was tested in 2002 and supplied with the first Su-30MKI deliveries. NIIP were finalising the 2nd stage (MK2), still using the Russian data processor, in October 2003, while testing on the final (MK3) revision had also begun. MK3 incorporates the Indian-designed Vetrivale RC (radar computer) based in the i960 architecture. Currently in 2004 MK3 is still in testing. While MK2 implements most of the modes above, full capability will only be met with the 3rd stage radar.

The construction, the operating system and the applied ”Bars” radar control system software support fully are compatible with Western standards, which allows their upgrade without changing the logic of the radar control system’s operation.

The computer technology is executed in Western military standard form factor (Compact PCI).

A Bars' test radar is said to have detected Su-27 fighters at a range of over 330 km, tracked several targets while volume scanning, and correctly identified aerial targets.

Air to air modes

Velocity Search

Range While Search

Detection range in headon engagements: 120-140km

Detection range in tailchase engagements: 60km

Track While Scan of 15 targets

Precision Tracking up to 4 targets for engaging targets while continuing volume search.

Scanning zone while tracking is given as 5,500 square degrees in one document, while another says targets can be tracked anywhere in the 80° tracking zone of the radar while continuing to scan. A ±40° azimuth by ±40° elevation scan area like this suggests would be 6,400 square degrees.

Target Illumination; generation of radio update commands for BVR AAMs.

Track ECM source

Raid Assessment while scan

Target Identification while scan

On switching on of this mode, the “Bars” radar control system determines the type of aerial target detected through the parameters of the signal reflected from the target. Identified generic target types include “large target,” “medium target,” “small target,” “group target,” transport airplane, helicopter, and jet airplane. Upon introduction into the database of the appropriate spectral characteristics, this mode can identify exact aircraft types. The technique is thought to be based on on identifying engine type from the signal modulation induced by rotating engine compressors. 5 targets can be identified in 1 second, while the radar continues to volume scan and track other targets.

Several close combat modes for search, lock-on and tracking of a single aerial target in close-in maneuvering combat.

Limits:

Azimuth: ±3° or ±10°

Elevation: -15/+40° or ±7.5°

Air-to-ground modes

Real beam mapping

DBS mapping

SAR mapping

Moving ground target selection

Measuring of ground target coordinates and tracking up to 2 ground targets

Range, a railroad bridge: 80-120km

Range, group of tanks: 40-50km

Best resolution in SAR mode: 10m

Anti shipping modes

Long range detection of huge sea targets

Sea surface scan and detection of sea targets

Range against a destroyer sized target: 120-150km

Moving sea target selection

Measuring of coordinates, tracking up to 2 sea targets, moving or stationary

Naval target ID

Mixed modes

Search air-to-air targets while tracking ground or sea targets

Track one ground target while simultaneously firing at an aerial target in long-range combat"

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"If the MWS didn't see it. it never happened"

basically what it is saying is that these are semi-detailed specs on the radar system of the su-27SM!

it mentions it was for the su-27m which was a demonstrator which the su-27sm 'evaluated' technology from

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

information of the radar of the su-27sm2

N036 BRLS AESA/PESA Radar

Radar: N036 BRLS AESA/PESA Radar (Enhancement of IRBIS-E of SU-35)

??Frequency: 3 Cm (0.118 in) (X-band)

??Diameter: 0.7 m (2 ft 4 in)

??Targets: 32 tracked, 8 engaged (50 / 10 according to PAK FA Gen Designer 2013)

??Range: 400 km (248 mi)

??EPR: 3 m?? (32.3 ft??) at 160 km (99.4 mi)

??RCS: 0.01 m?? At 90 km (55 mi)

??Azimuth: +/-70°, +90/-50°

??Power: 4,000 W

??Weight: 65 to 80 kg (143 to 176 lb

'The N035 Irbis-E is a direct evolution of the BARS design, but significantly more powerful. While the hybrid phased array antenna is retained, the noise figure is slightly worse at 3.5 dB, but the receiver has four rather than three discrete channels.

The biggest change is in the EGSP-27 transmitter, where the single 7 kiloWatt peak power rated Chelnok TWT is replaced with a pair of 10 kiloWatt peak power rated Chelnok tubes, ganged to provide a total peak power rating of 20 kiloWatts. The radar is cited at an average power rating of 5 kiloWatts, with 2 kiloWatts CW rating for illumination. NIIP claim twice the bandwidth and improved frequency agility over the BARS, and better ECCM capability. The Irbis-E has new Solo-35.01 digital signal processor hardware and Solo-35.02 data processor, but retains receiver hardware, the master oscillator and exciter of the BARS. A prototype has been in flight test since late 2005.

The performance increase in the Irbis-E is commensurate with the increased transmitter rating, and NIIP claim a detection range for a closing 3 square metre coaltitude target of 190 - 215 NMI (350-400 km), and the ability to detect a closing 0.01 square metre target at ~50 NMI (90 km). In Track While Scan (TWS) mode the radar can handle 30 targets simultaneously, and provide guidance for two simultaneous shots using a semi-active missile like the R-27 series, or eight simultaneous shots using an active missile like the RVV-AE/R-77 or ramjet RVV-AE-PD/R-77M. The Irbis-E was clearly designed to support the ramjet RVV-AE-PD/R-77M missile in BVR combat against reduced signature Western fighters like the Block II Super Hornet or Eurofighter Typhoon. Curiously, NIIP do not claim superiority over the F-22A's APG-77 AESA, yet their cited performance figures exceed the public (and no doubt heavily sanitised) range figures for the APG-77.

The existing N011M series lacks a Low Probability of Intercept capability, in part due to antenna bandwidth limits and in part due to processor limitations. This is likely to change over the coming decade, with the Irbis-E, as customers demand an ability to defeat or degrade Western ESM equipment and the technology to do this becomes more accessible.

New Irbis-E (Snow Leopard) hybrid phased array, in development since 2004 and planned for the Su-35BM block upgrade, and as a block upgrade or new build radar for other Flanker variants, such as the Su-35-1. It will enter production before the end of this decade.

The design is intended for fixed low signature tilted installation, rather than gimballed installation, and auxiliary cheek arrays are planned for. The design is claimed to have been integrated with an existing BARS/Irbis radar for testing and design validation purposes.

Public statements made in Russia claim 1,500 TR module elements. Counting exposed radiating elements on video stills of the antenna indicates an estimated 1,524 TR channels, with a tolerance of several percent. This is within 5% of the 2008 APA model for a Flanker AESA.

NIIP have publicly cited detection range performance of 350 to 400 km (190 to 215 NMI), which assuming a Russian industry standard 2.5m2 target, is consistent with the 2008 APA model for a radar using ~10W rated TR modules, which in turn is the power rating for the modules used in the Zhuk AE prototypes. This puts the nett peak power at ~15 kiloWatts, slightly below the Irbis E, but even a very modest 25% increase in TR module output rating would overcome this.'

http://warfare.be/db/catid/334/linkid/2568/title/irbis-family-radars/

:thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

are you planning to do SM module/FC3 mod for DCS?

tl:dr no

this is more of a

"see! we did it ! now make it :3"

but since i learned you need the express permission from all the manufacturers available and not just stolen from some dark web library

edit: if i don't sell it. and its only a mod

does that mean i still have to go to prison if i do make it with all the stolen data? haha?

Edited by Frosty
double posting i'snt cool

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Actually, ED require a license of manufacturer or government or other authorized source to publish any kind of modules.

Remember:

Ka-50: Approved by Kamov

A-10C: Military contract by Usa Air national Guard

VEAO was on legal agreement to build the Bae Hawk / Eurofighter.

UH-1 have approved by Bell.

Polychop have on talks to get a licence from eurocopter / german government, to publish the Sa-342 gazzelle and Bo-105, without them, they can´t publish nothing.

and more similar situations.

The Russian government put a Secret official law about all military hardware constructed / build on that country. ED has Russian company, and cant not infringe that law or was legal actions vs the company.

I you go to use "stolen data / no open info / not agreement" with Russian government, on a module and intent sell them, you can get legal actions, fees, or jail, about you and your company, and ED can deny you access to the SDK and none support to your "module".

Edited by Silver_Dragon
  • Like 1

basically what it is saying is that these are semi-detailed specs on the radar system of the su-27SM!

Except that it isn't - the Su-27SM has an upgraded version of the N001 radar(the one in the basic Su-27) developed for the Su-30MKK(exported to China). So all the stuff about the Bars and Irbis has no relevance to the Su-27SM - at least not the ones currently in Russian service.

it mentions it was for the su-27m which was a demonstrator which the su-27sm 'evaluated' technology from

Incorrect - the Su-27M(aka Su-35) was the first prototype for a multirole Flanker(several prototypes were built) and initially had a mechanically scanned slotted array called N011.

In connection with the development of the Su-30MKI for India, an updated version of this radar(called N011M "Bars") with a PESA antenna was developed and tested onboard one of the Su-27M prototypes.

JJ

IF i WAS going to do a module.

i would rather do something like the Yak-130 and 131

oooooor.

how would anyone feel about sub hunting in a Ka-27PL?

or the Assault transport helicopter variant KA-29TB

looks very exciting

ka29tb-truc-thang-vu-trang-tot-nhat-cho-hqdb-viet-nam.JPG

that is something i might feel like doing in my spare time

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Last question before I close the thread:

How might one obtain a SDK.

Might I have to pitch something to DCS and prove I eligible.

No speculation please. Hard facts and source if you can.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

To get the SDK, you need build a complete 3D model with External model (with proper texture and some functional animations), and a 3D internal model (cockpit with texture and some proper animations). You can require a "team":

- Some 3D animator with experience on 3DS MAX to make aircraft 3D models / Cockpits, weapons, equipment and if your module required them aditional AI 3D object (vehicles, ships, theaters etc).

- Some Texture maker with help to the 3D modeller to make appropriate texture to your models.

- A programmer with C++ and Lua experience.

- Some programmer with make some type of flight model to the module (SFM or AFM)

With your model has advancer, you can present them to DCS: W team (Wags, or other member), and present a request with some documentations explain your intentions to see if your team can be get the SDK.

IF i WAS going to do a module.

i would rather do something like the Yak-130 and 131

oooooor.

how would anyone feel about sub hunting in a Ka-27PL?

or the Assault transport helicopter variant KA-29TB

looks very exciting

A Yak-130 (Yak-131 never enter of service) can be very difficult get info about them to a project, but a Ka-27PL / Ka-29TB not bad to see them into the simulator (a naval ASW helo / naval assault helo), very interesting to boost naval environment into DCS: W. Otherwise, the main problem can be get some type of agreement of the Russian government, get some info, and model ASW (antisubmarinte) envirotment actualy on the simulator.

Edited by Silver_Dragon

Ka-29TB it may be then.

I can't hire anyone and I wish to do all the modelling and texturing. I have no idea on the process in simulating the "handling" so I don't reckon I could do that. I should learn to code myself as it's part of the course at the uni I want to go too.

All in all this will most likely end up as a practice and showcase project for personal use for the next 5 or so years.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I would rather work on my own anyway. As I'm at collage I can learn how to model and such there and it would go towards my grade. It would end up being difficult to explain what I have and have not done.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]