Padlock IS finally working!! Thank you big (Iron) Mike and Heatblur team!

Pally

Sir IronMike and Heatblur team:

I do not know what happened, but the Padlocking feature is finally full on working!! I was tracking with my X56 thumbstick (mapped it as a mouse) in event of IR SAM launches. Somehow, I touched the padlocking bandits keybind on my throttle--which keybinded for glance cockpit, and padlock bandit/terrain function--started to track an Mi-8 all by it pretty self. I was stunted!

I nearly lost situation awareness as I was too distracted so as to retest whether it was my eyes or that it was truly working. By the way, the terrain tracking function works, too! Thanks y'all!

I do not know what to say. I even wrote a quick email to you guys and got a reply related the fact that it should work as always. Perhaps my luck, but whatever it was, I am glad as a giddy that you guys made it work (or that it finally works, whichever, is al-right, brother)!!

Again, Thank You!!

Sir IronMike and Heatblur team:

I do not know what happened, but the Padlocking feature is finally full on working!! I was tracking with my X56 thumbstick (mapped it as a mouse) in event of IR SAM launches. Somehow, I touched the padlocking bandits keybind on my throttle--which keybinded for glance cockpit, and padlock bandit/terrain function--started to track an Mi-8 all by it pretty self. I was stunted!

I nearly lost situation awareness as I was too distracted so as to retest whether it was my eyes or that it was truly working. By the way, the terrain tracking function works, too! Thanks y'all!

I do not know what to say. I even wrote a quick email to you guys and got a reply related the fact that it should work as always. Perhaps my luck, but whatever it was, I am glad as a giddy that you guys made it work (or that it finally works, whichever, is al-right, brother)!!

Again, Thank You!!

:) It was fixed in the last patch, glad you like it.

Heatblur Simulations

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...
By the way, what are the keys / combo for padlock ?

Top Jockey:

I think you can hit "search" in the keybinding within the DCS mainframe. Then search for "padlock" as a generic term, from which all four other types will show up. They are, if I recall correctly: Padlock bandit, Padlock cancel, Padlock terrain, and Padlock missile.

p.s: padlock missile may have another derivative called padlock threat missile.

Edited by Pally
minor correction on wording.

Top Jockey:

I think you can hit "search" in the keybinding within the DCS mainframe. Then search for "padlock" as a generic term, from which all four other types will show up. They are, if I recall correctly: Padlock bandit, Padlock cancel, Padlock terrain, and Padlock missile.

p.s: padlock missile may have another derivative called padlock threat missile.

Thank you Pally, under views, although with somewhat disguised denomination, there it is!

Edited by Top Jockey

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system
i7-4790 K , 16 GB DDR3 , GTX 1660 Ti 6GB , Samsung 860 QVO 1TB

What is "Padlock"?

"Padlock" is a feature from the era when there was no TrackIR (or it was very new) and people were using a hat to turn the view around. It is slow and difficult task to get the hat work well enough to look around when you are on the move around the target.

So "Padlock" was invented, that is automatic lock function on the nearest object you lock, like an "Padlock enemy" makes so that closest enemy gets locked center of your view. You can as well turn camera manually to ground position and padlock that, so camera stays in that point of the ground when you fly around etc.

There are all kind other "Padlock" settings like missile threat etc, where the view will automatically turn to keep the missile flying at you in center of the view.

IMHO the TrackIR completely made the padlock unwanted, and VR it is completely useless.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

"Padlock" is a feature from the era when there was no TrackIR (or it was very new) and people were using a hat to turn the view around. It is slow and difficult task to get the hat work well enough to look around when you are on the move around the target.

So "Padlock" was invented, that is automatic lock function on the nearest object you lock, like an "Padlock enemy" makes so that closest enemy gets locked center of your view. You can as well turn camera manually to ground position and padlock that, so camera stays in that point of the ground when you fly around etc.

There are all kind other "Padlock" settings like missile threat etc, where the view will automatically turn to keep the missile flying at you in center of the view.

IMHO the TrackIR completely made the padlock unwanted, and VR it is completely useless.

Nice!! I didn't know that existed! Is it on all modules? I actually just use a hot stick myself, and this is sounds EXTREMELY useful.

Edited by MobiSev

Modules owned:

FC3, M-2000C, Mig-21bis, F-5E, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, KA-50, Mi-8, F-14A&B, JF-17

Is padlock needed to command a AI wingman to engage a specific target in the Tomcat by the way?

I have not started to learn the Tomcat eventhough I got it so I havent tried myself but in other full fidelity aircraft I have tried padlock is the only way to tell a wingman to designate a specific target, a radar lock wont work like it does in the F15.

Skickat från min D5503 via Tapatalk

Is padlock needed to command a AI wingman to engage a specific target in the Tomcat by the way?

I have not started to learn the Tomcat eventhough I got it so I havent tried myself but in other full fidelity aircraft I have tried padlock is the only way to tell a wingman to designate a specific target, a radar lock wont work like it does in the F15.

Skickat från min D5503 via Tapatalk

No, padlock is basically a "cheat-view" that helps those who have no tracking device to maintain their view on the bandit, means your view will be locked to the bandit no matter what. This in itself needs some practice so you do not get disorientated while maneuvering and of course is not allowed on most servers, as it would give the padlocking player a serious advantage. It is a feature mainly used in Singleplayer and works well if you have not tracking device like TrackIR or VR. If the latter is the case, I would recommend against it.

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

• 4 months later...

Editing padlock visuals

Does anyone know if you can edit the padlock visuals ?

I'm still running 1.5, but assume it's still similar in 2.5.

e.g. in FC3 any target that I padlock maintains a green crosshair.

For the WWII birds, the crosshair appears briefly and then fades out (which is much more preferable).

I've tried looking through a few of the bazar and view LUA files, but nothing obvious.