RTX 2080Ti or AMD Radeon vii

There has been little/no feedback from DCS users on R7 . You-tube reviews put it as about an RTX 2080 . So the Ti would definitely out-perform it . On the other hand , you could get the R7 , save several hundred dollars , and write us all a nice comprehensive review of its performance in DCS :)

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

I have it, and still lacking the time for writing a proper review about it... Strangely, the VII does not seem to be popular around here, but I wouldn't really know why..

Here I've add the results of a benchmark track somebody else was using to compare different set ups (that track is now broken, after the last DCS update):

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3922034&postcount=27

I also used my correct settings (it was asked to run the above benchmark at FullHd, I am now on UltraWide 3440x1440) for another quick test:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3919567&postcount=114

After a few days, I managed to find the sweetspot for voltage/fanspeed profile/clkspeed, I can run it at stock freq. (1800MHz) @1000mV and never exceed 85 deg at junction, 60 at core. The temperature reading is something you'll need to read about, many people are getting scared about these temps, not realizing that these are perfectly normal numbers, one may stay within 105-110 deg at junction and it will still be perfectly ok. If one is not bothered by the loud fans, and they can get really loud, I believe this card is a great deal, and a beast that needs some tinkering to get the best out of.

First, I got it for 100€ less than the cheapest 2080: I see now the prices have risen for the VII and lowered for the 2080, so I am not sure about the price advantage. Still, costs at least 40% less than a 2080ti, and it is definitely NOT 40% slower. It has a lot of OC potential, I could get it to >2000Mhz stable, temps under control, fans spinning like hell though. Water cooling will be my next step (note however that this reduces the large price advantage it has with respect to the 2080ti).

If you have anything specific you want me to test, I can do it. I will try to find the time for a proper review, but work keeps getting in the way..

Performance in DCS are great, but I cannot directly compare it myself to either the 2080 or the ti, I'll first need to find a track that has been used by others with these cards, for a useful comparison. Actually, if anybody here has similar specs to mine and a 2080/2080ti, we can set up a proper testbed and compare them once and for all on DCS.

My specs:

i7 8700k, stock, water cooled

32 GB DDR4-3200

Radeon VII

DCS on a M2 NVME SSD

3440x1440

Reverb coming soon (or so I hope), so I cold also report on VR performance, in case

Edited by gabgio

Nunc est bibendum, nunc pede libero pulsanda tellus

Thanks gabgio!

My plan is to run a 4K monitor with factory settings - overclocking etc. beyond my expertise.

I fly mainly ground pounders so visual target acquisition is important for me from around 3000 meters.

Bad news is that the VII at factory settings runs unnecessarily hot (though no self-combustion-hot as the ti used to be :music_whistling: ); good news is that adjusting the voltage is extremely easy, so do not worry about that.

If budget (and the idea of transferring >1k to nvidia) is not a problem, just go for the 2080ti, that's the unchallenged king of the mountain right now, especially at 4K.

On GPUs, don't mess around: for 4K get an RTX 2080 Ti. Sure people will complain that you are buying Ray Tracing silicon that you will not likely put to much (any?) use. True. But it is still the fastest thing out there besides the latest Titan or top end Quadros. I am using an RTX 2080 Ti with a 5K monitor and it does fine, but I still would like more raw pixel pushing power.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i’m still holding my breath for a fast non-RT nvidia card.

a card like that would sell like apples. everyone would have one.

Well... that ain't going to happen. So start breathing again, if I were you. You'll have to wait and see what AMD comes up with after their recent mid-range Navi launch.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

RTX 2080Ti or AMD Radeon vii

they could have a change of heart like they did with 3D once they realize nobody is using RT.

they have done it before.

as a manufacturer, they can push and encourage a direction, but if nobody is going along they will have to rethink and reset.

AMD is not releasing Ray Tracing hardware until it can be offered across the entire product stack without halving performance. That's basically next year with Navi 2 and the new consoles coming out. Nvdia isn't doing non-raytracing equivalents as not to allow consumers a path to actually quantify the monetary value of the tech. The 2080ti isn't worth its asking price, and only costs what it does (the entire 20 series) so Nvidia could clear 10 series inventory they over produced.

"The 2080ti isn't worth its asking price..."

If you don't have enough food to feed your family the RTX 2080 Ti is not worth its asking price.

If you are a billionaire the RTX 2080 Ti is easily worth its asking price.

If you are somewhere in between the perceived value of the RTX 2080 Ti varies between those two extreams. It might not be worth it to you. But it is to me.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"The 2080ti isn't worth its asking price..."

If you don't have enough food to feed your family the RTX 2080 Ti is not worth its asking price.

If you are a billionaire the RTX 2080 Ti is easily worth its asking price.

If you are somewhere in between the perceived value of the RTX 2080 Ti varies between those two extreams. It might not be worth it to you. But it is to me.

Your POV on value is subjective, while I'm saying rather objectively you are solely being charged for the companies manufacturing mistake. They are literally about to repeat what they did with the original Titan GPUs, where it was the best gaming (even though it wasn't supposed to be for gamers) until a "normal" priced Ti card for practically the same performance was released. They just shifted the entire product stack up a tier to save face (with investors) for the 10 series over production. They are going to release RTX Super cards in roughly a months time where in all likelihood the $700-800 card supplants the $1200 ti card. The 2080ti offers the same percentage performance increase over the 1080ti, that the 1080ti did over the 980ti. Only 1080Ti was just $50 more, where as the 2080ti is nearly twice the cost of it predecessor.

Your POV on value is subjective...

Yes. That is exactly the point I was making. Your statement was too absolute.

And as for the rest of what you say. That is all obvious. Such is life for people wanting the bleeding edge of tech rather than mid range tech.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I have the 1080ti because it was the only thing that could handle VR with a significant pixel density bump at the time. Which would also translate into decent performance for higher res headsets. While the Radeon VII is likely a marginal improvement over it, the shift to Vulkan will likely make it the better choice in the long run for the same money as the non-Ti 2080 or less. Its a cut down workstation card that actually costs more to produce with 2x the frame buffer of the 2080.

Yeah I have problem giving my money to companies that are regularly anti-consumer and do arbitrary things to manipulate their consumer base. Maybe I'm weird for not wanting to give rewards for bad behavior. The 2080ti is not priced on its own merits, but to inflate the perceived value of older inventory. Nvidia learned they could charge $1200 for a non-gaming card sold to gamers, which they explicitly justified themselves as not marketed to gamers (yet not calling it a Quadro). So they could definitely charge even more for their entire "for gamers" product stack. Its all margin. They were already making stupid high margin at $700, and I would have considered $800 "fair". Its on the same node as the previous gen which gets cheaper to produce on over time. It's genuinely not worth $1200, no matter how much value an individual ascribes to it being the best available option. Well 2nd best since the $2400 RTX Titan is a thing.

I saw on Utube a video claiming that the 1080ti alone had sales totalling a 40 % share of the entire gpu market . The 2080ti less than 10% .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

[...]

Yeah I have problem giving my money to companies that are regularly anti-consumer and do arbitrary things to manipulate their consumer base. Maybe I'm weird for not wanting to give rewards for bad behavior. The 2080ti is not priced on its own merits, but to inflate the perceived value of older inventory. Nvidia learned they could charge $1200 for a non-gaming card sold to gamers, which they explicitly justified themselves as not marketed to gamers (yet not calling it a Quadro). So they could definitely charge even more for their entire "for gamers" product stack. Its all margin. They were already making stupid high margin at $700, and I would have considered $800 "fair". Its on the same node as the previous gen which gets cheaper to produce on over time. It's genuinely not worth $1200, no matter how much value an individual ascribes to it being the best available option. Well 2nd best since the $2400 RTX Titan is a thing.

You and me both. While I'm "jealous" of those who bought the 1080ti in the pre-mining-madness era and enjoyed a massive return on their investment (I mean, three years down the line and still kicking strong!), I have a rather different opinion about shelling out >1k to Nvidia. Yes, it is the undisputed performance champion, but no way I wold hand in that amount of cash to them for just eye candy (but I can't judge those who do, if you have the money, go for it by all means). On the other hand, the VII enables me exploiting that humongous amount of fast Vmemory for other purposes (rendering and editing + 3D sw), and could even turn out a fantastic gaming GPU for DCS if and when Vulkan will be adopted. And to be honest, it is no slouch at all right now, I feel it was a great purchase for 650€ (got lucky with one-day offer), some 20% less than a 2080 around here, one month ago.

You and me both. While I'm "jealous" of those who bought the 1080ti in the pre-mining-madness era and enjoyed a massive return on their investment (I mean, three years down the line and still kicking strong!), I have a rather different opinion about shelling out >1k to Nvidia. Yes, it is the undisputed performance champion, but no way I wold hand in that amount of cash to them for just eye candy (but I can't judge those who do, if you have the money, go for it by all means). On the other hand, the VII enables me exploiting that humongous amount of fast Vmemory for other purposes (rendering and editing + 3D sw), and could even turn out a fantastic gaming GPU for DCS if and when Vulkan will be adopted. And to be honest, it is no slouch at all right now, I feel it was a great purchase for 650€ (got lucky with one-day offer), some 20% less than a 2080 around here, one month ago.

:thumbup:

This 1080ti was the last card I bought from nv for a very long time, just because of the price and the way they make deals.

Hallo Lisa....

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/nvidia-super-rtx-confusing-graphics-cards/

We are fixing to get market-segmented to death.

We may be able to find some good values moving forward if we can figure out how much vram and how many compute units we want

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder