Real world functions of cyclic and collective switches

TripRodriguez

Hello folks.

My questions are two.

In the real aircraft what are the functions (if any) of the unexplained (and presumed non-functional in DCS) switches and buttons on the cyclics, collective, and video stick? See list below for details.

Are there any functions on the cyclic or otherwise that deviate in the manual from the real world aircraft?

List of buttons and switches I'm wondering about:

Collective: "Servo" toggle switch

Video Stick: The toggle switch just to the left of the video stick, up and down on the center mounted HAT switch.

Commander Cyclic: All

Pilot Cyclic: Top left HAT, button under large red safety, top right red button, front trigger

Thank you for your time and effort,

Trip

PS- I just realized that a couple of these functions might be labeled on the in-game cockpit controls, but I cannot access the game right now to look and see.

Edited by TripRodriguez

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Demo of my 6DOF Motion VR Sim:

Collective: "Servo" toggle switch

Enables the electric valve supplying hydraulic pressure to the main and tail servo controls (power assist for swash plate, etc.).

The Cyclic grips are a standard casting, not all switches/buttons are enabled (switches may be blanked but could be serviced/purposed for a different variant).

http://data4.primeportal.net/hangar/pierric_boudehen/sa-342m_3547/images/sa-342m_3547_258_of_291.jpg

http://www.primeportal.net/hangar/pierric_boudehen/sa-342m_3547/index.php?Page=13

Commander Cyclic: All

Most are blank but AFAIK you'd have mag brake, SAS/Autopilot disable and intercom trigger (two stage - 1st ICS, 2nd Radio).

Pilot Cyclic:

• Top left HAT - not used
  • button under large red safety - Armament switch (recessed button, would be Live with cover down) - not used
  • top right red button - SAS/Autopilot Disable (USED IN GAME)
  • front trigger - intercom (two stage - 1st ICS, 2nd Radio)

My impression is the real SAS/Autopilot Disable buttons are momentary contact switches that turn off the autopilot/SAS in an emergency, not toggle switches as in game. SAS/autopilot would need to be re-enabled on the SAS panel.

Edited by Ramsay

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

Thank you Ramsay, that is very helpful! Also this means I have plenty of unused buttons for sim controls such as start/stop my motion simulator etc. which is very handy!

Funny for the armament button (big red prominent feature) to be unused!

Trip

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Funny for the armament button (big red prominent feature) to be unused!

I guess the armament button will be used/functional on the Gazelle L and/or Mistral versions but don't know for sure, lazy thinking/typing on my part :)

AFAIK there isn't a good cockpit picture of the SA342K but there are a few shots of a Mistral armed SA342L1

http://www.primeportal.net/hangar/ulrich_wrede/sa342l1_gazelle_fr/index.php?Page=2

In this Gazelle Mistral video you'll see the pilot also appears to use of the Top LH hat switch but was he adjusting trim, doing something else or did a video editor cut to an unrelated shot for 'effect' ?

Edited by Ramsay

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

I guess the armament button will be used/functional on the Gazelle L and/or Mistral versions but don't know for sure, lazy thinking/typing on my part :)

AFAIK there isn't a good cockpit picture of the SA342K but there are a few shots of a Mistral armed SA342L1

http://www.primeportal.net/hangar/ulrich_wrede/sa342l1_gazelle_fr/index.php?Page=2

Ramsay, what about the two toggle switches mounted in a dedicated enclosure just left of the fixed left hand grip for the commander?

Trip

181683119_vidstick3.png.6c37b494032f6dad38d8ac29db36d14c.png

Edited by TripRodriguez

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ramsay, what about the two toggle switches mounted in a dedicated enclosure just left of the fixed left hand grip for the commander?

Trip

IIRC, Polychop didn't know themselves, but modelled what was there. They also mentioned there wasn't really a 'standard' cockpit as there was a lot of variation which made using different reference air frames difficult as they weren't 'wrong' just different.

IIRC, Polychop didn't know themselves, but modelled what was there. They also mentioned there wasn't really a 'standard' cockpit as there was a lot of variation which made using different reference air frames difficult as they weren't 'wrong' just different.

Yes I have found in my own "research" that different individual Gazelles have significant differences in the cockpit. Probably from upgrades being performed by different countries etc.

Back to the "Servo" switch, would this normally be simply left in the on position at all times, including when shut down/parked etc.?

Thanks again for the excellent information sir!

Trip

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Back to the "Servo" switch, would this normally be simply left in the on position at all times, including when shut down/parked etc.?

The Hyd 'Servo' switch would always be on in normal flight, hence Polychop's decision not to model it (IIRC there's limit to the number of arguments/animations DCS supports).

The Gazelle SA-341G Manual lists some features

• Engine pre-start check list - ON
  • After engine start check list - check it's working by turning it OFF, warning lamp, control forces are still ok and reset/enable - ON
  • If the hyd servo system fails, the cyclic moves aft and right, collective moves to 8 degrees, max safe speed 180 km/h, considerable pedal force, greater cyclic force, tighten collective friction before slowing engine.
  • Test flights - Alt. 100-150m, IAS 130 - 180 km/h, Aircraft remains controllable, re-enable to land.

It's a shame we miss out on the servo failure mode after taking damage but I guess there are limitations when modelling all the features in a side-by-side cockpit.

Edited by Ramsay

• 2 years later...

EDIT.

Sorry, stupid necro of 2017 thread....

Edited by Fri13
Stupid, not noticing year 2017.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.