Korn's Huey Cockpit Build

Kornskydiver

Lol.....next is mounting an m-60 :)

The chair is surprisingly comfortable with the seat cushions. The obutto seat hugs the body better but it doesn't provide much cushion. I will be adding an additional layer of memory foam from an old mattress topper that should add some additional comfort for long gaming sessions.

A set of Huey controls are definitely needed but a VR headset might be next on the list unless Oculous will be releasing their CV2 within the next couple of years.

I started framing the overhead console today and I'm not too happy with they way things are looking. The footprint of everything is too big and looks ridiculously out of place in my mancave. I am now debating going with a simple pillar directly behind the center console that will hold the overhead panel like picture below.

IMG_1212.thumb.JPG.d9040235a17bd2a7ea0d9d724cab847c.JPG

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

That would look awesome. Maybe adding a small overhang to give the allusion of the cockpit? W/O it overwhelming the actual cockpit? Maybe a good compromise.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

That would look awesome. Maybe adding a small overhang to give the allusion of the cockpit? W/O it overwhelming the actual cockpit? Maybe a good compromise.

Exactly! That beam that stems between the two front windshield will connect to the overhead panel.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Today's update: the Huey seat sat two inches lower than what I liked so I had a local machinist build a base for the seat and he also welded my warthog mount directly to the seat. Totally digging this seat :)

The last photo is a picture I took yesterday of the two pillars that I previously built for the cabin. I just stacked them up to give me a visual idea of how I wanna build the overhead console stand.

IMG_0419.thumb.JPG.bb21d9f3dc2653d713ac14e87249666f.JPG

IMG_0421.thumb.JPG.ef002df1a7e2a861c2ceec3c4db7c07e.JPG

IMG_1217.thumb.JPG.7e784d97bb75d86a9bbae8561b18237f.JPG

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm, I would say both! WTH, it's not my money. :)

In your setup, collective first, I think. But Huey in VR is simply amazing. The "sense" of flight is incredible. It instantly made me a better Huey (sim) pilot..

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Hmm, I would say both! WTH, it's not my money. :)

In your setup, collective first, I think. But Huey in VR is simply amazing. The "sense" of flight is incredible. It instantly made me a better Huey (sim) pilot..

Looks great Korn!!

Well fellas....things just got real interesting!

IMG_0697.thumb.JPG.e3c8ca57362f0483edb81180ef8a72fb.JPG

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Enjoy!!! Fire up the gunnery instant action one. It's a BLAST!!!

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

Thanks guys! I am really enjoying the Rift! VR is the real deal and I can't wait to see how much VR improves in the next 5 years. Like others have mentioned, the resolution isn't the best but the immersion you get highly outweighs the resolution. I have been spoiled with 4K gaming but the experience you get from VR is 10x better imo. The big question now is what do I do with my pit? Do I halt all improvements now that I have a Rift or do I continue? After a lot of thought the pass few days, I'm going to make them both work together. Why choose one over the other when I can have the immersion of VR while also having the tactile feeling of actuating physical switches in a simpit.

Besides my simpit building won't end until I get my hands on a fuselage :) Until then I guess I'll enjoy the Rift when I fly alone and the simpit when I fly with the kiddos and friends.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You know what Korn, it's surprisingly natural to use MFDs and switches using VR. I position my MFDs (for A10) about where it is in the cockpit. When I reach out in VR, my hand is near the MFD and I just sneak a look through the bridge of the nose. Some say it breaks immersion, but not for me.

And it's the same for physical switches (which is why I've been trying to build button boxes for a while). The only problem I have to overcome now is that Lillput USB monitors don't work with Rift. Rift says it's DisplayLink problem and DisplayLInk says it's Rift problem. I'm leaning towards it being a Rift problem.

So I would do both. Before you know it, hand tracking will come into play and your replica cockpit will be perfect for it! :)

When I first tried Rift with Huey (and the Komodo gear) I was gobsmacked that I could taxi on the runway while being a few feet off the ground. I could *never* do that before.

So I tried with Komodo and monitor only and I couldn't do it as well. So it's the sense of altitude and speed that helped me. Then I wasted all that time on the gunnery instant mission. :)

Enjoy your cockpit *and* your VR! One caveat: You'll know why they have hand holds in cockpits. When you check six, you *really* have to check six! :)

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

Those gunnery missions are so much fun in VR...hell, everything is fun in VR. I can spend hours just hover taxing around airfields and have a blast lol. I really need a good set of dedicated heli controls though. I can probably wait on a cyclic but a collective will probably be my next big purchase. Maybe come summertime I can save up some money to pick one up. I emailed rich from Komodo not too long ago and he's finally getting some help with production and said his turnaround times should be drastically shorter come January timeframe. we'll see if hegy or anyone else in the community can come up with a better solution.

Lynx's button boxes seem to be a great solution for the VR crowd who still like To have the touchy-feely of physical switches. I can see putting a couple in the overhead panel and a couple in the center console to use for start-up, armament system and lighting.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 1 month later...

Hey Fellas, just picked up this gem on eBay for $140. These are super hard to come by these days and I couldn't pass it up. I have no clue how to make this functional but I will be doing a ton of research on these forums the next couple of weeks. If it turns out to be to difficult I will probably post it back up on eBay. I was ready to pull the trigger on a Komodo Huey collective but Rich is nowhere to be found these days. Any tech savvy folks out there that can share some guidance would greatly be appreciated :)

IMG_1911.thumb.PNG.56414fb27d767a388418c085371b43a9.PNG

IMG_1912.thumb.PNG.cdb06f4e32c6018a1366aad1bca26c60.PNG

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Rewire it using a Bodnar board, or similar, as the interface.

http://www.leobodnar.com/shop/

Should be pretty straightforward.

EDIT: Very cool, btw. :thumbup:

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...