Mig-15 review

Lordbaldur

Any thoughts?

Well, it's more of a heads-up about the state of the beta or a criticism of the lack of content than a comprehensive review. Half of the video focuses just on that one issue, most of the rest on how it compares with the F-86F in a dogfight and there's barely any information about the aircraft itself. If you want it to be a "buyer beware" or "first impressions" video then great. But if you want it to be a review, try focusing on the whole picture a little more.

You only get 5 instant missions. At least the Sabre had some single missions. Either way none of them have enough content for the price they ask for, i think.

i5 4590 @ 3.77GHz | GTX 1060 6GB | 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 | 1TB HDD+500GB HDD | Win10 Home X64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You only get 5 instant missions. At least the Sabre had some single missions. Either way none of them have enough content for the price they ask for, i think.

?

I think you're being unreasonable. You're paying for a hi-fidelity study level aircraft, so they're doing what they do best.

It's also a sandbox sim, and DCS:World comes with a complete and well appointed Mission/Campaign builder. Make one yourself ... or wait until some other talented individuals come through with the goods.

I'd much rather Belsimtek focus on building aircraft!

Any thoughts?

I guess it's partially a style and an era thing ... but the review wasn't my cup of tea, though I'm sure it hits the spot for others.

I specifically didn't like the argument about *lack of content* for the same reason that I've stated above.

Edited by Teapot

"A true 'sandbox flight sim' requires hi-fidelity flyable non-combat utility/support aircraft."

Wishlist Terrains - Bigger maps

Wishlist Modules - A variety of utility aircraft to better reflect the support role. E.g. Flying the Hornet ... big yawn ... flying a Caribou on a beer run to Singapore? Count me in. Extracting a Recon Patrol from a hastily prepared landing strip at a random 6 figure grid reference? Now yer talking!

Dont get me wrong, i alsolutely love flying these birds but i personally think that for the price, there should be more contant. Thats just my opinion, you dont have to agree with it.

i5 4590 @ 3.77GHz | GTX 1060 6GB | 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 | 1TB HDD+500GB HDD | Win10 Home X64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I agree with the review. It has a wonderful FM, is pretty and overall well made. But the lack of content does detract greatly from it. And no, expecting training missions and a campaign is not unreasonable. $50 for a single plane, not an entire game, does demand a bit more than just a plane and nothing else. This is especially true for simple planes like the MiG-15. Everyone except BST seems to get this. Don't get me wrong, I still like the MiG-15. But they either need to up their content or drop their prices (full price, not sale price) to reflect the lack of content.

• ED Team
I agree with the review. It has a wonderful FM, is pretty and overall well made. But the lack of content does detract greatly from it. And no, expecting training missions and a campaign is not unreasonable. $50 for a single plane, not an entire game, does demand a bit more than just a plane and nothing else. This is especially true for simple planes like the MiG-15. Everyone except BST seems to get this. Don't get me wrong, I still like the MiG-15. But they either need to up their content or drop their prices (full price, not sale price) to reflect the lack of content.

As already stated, it is still in beta.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

...This is especially true for simple planes like the MiG-15. Everyone except BST seems to get this. Don't get me wrong, I still like the MiG-15. But they either need to up their content or drop their prices (full price, not sale price) to reflect the lack of content.

Different strokes I guess. See, I think the full price is very reasonable considering the amount of research that goes into the creating of these planes. If it was FC3 quality I'd probably agree with you ... but these aren't.:D

• Like 1

"A true 'sandbox flight sim' requires hi-fidelity flyable non-combat utility/support aircraft."

Wishlist Terrains - Bigger maps

Wishlist Modules - A variety of utility aircraft to better reflect the support role. E.g. Flying the Hornet ... big yawn ... flying a Caribou on a beer run to Singapore? Count me in. Extracting a Recon Patrol from a hastily prepared landing strip at a random 6 figure grid reference? Now yer talking!

• ED Team
Then it should have a beta price.

What the heck is a beta price???? So you pay the beta price and then what, you are going to send them some more money when its done? The point of a beta is to get early access. It wont be feature complete, it will have problems, but you get early access... seriously guys... come on....

Beta in the ED world is early access. With early access you can have an aircraft that isn't feature complete. What does that mean? Manuals are missing or incomplete, the aircraft itself might be missing features, or features might be early in development, therefore buggy. Content like campaigns and missions might not be ready as some content might not work as expected later on after other features are added or changed.

Most people that review products make it clear that they are reviewing beta products, they dont spend a lot of time rubbing the developers nose in the fact that features are not there when the idea is that features are not complete or added yet. Sure point it out, but again, BST hasnt said they arent going to release this content, in fact, other modules of theirs has this content, the Huey campaign is quite well done.

Also, if I was your friend, I would be a little worried that I was bragging about 'borrowing' his licence. I am pretty sure the the EULA covers this point and states its frowned upon. That's not a threat or anything, just a pro-tip for your future videos...

My recommendation by your review video is that you avoid participating in any beta phases as you are not happy with the state of the software, and that is fine, its not for everyone. Beta cant be problematic, especially if you are only 'trying' the module for a couple hours only... I give this review a 4 out of 10..... oh wait, this is my post I can change it.... whawhawhaaaa 2 out 10.

Edited by NineLine
  • Like 2

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

Wow, guys, calm down. Lordbaldur clearly said it was beta. People watching the video have a brain and can decide for themselves if lack of content in a WiP module is a big deal for them or not. No need to hate on a reviewer just because you don't share his priorities.

just because you don't share his priorities.

But didn't he also use a "shared licence" so to speak - and what should we make of that?

Anyway, a time-limited beta for a lower price could work, I don't know.

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

I would say, you cannot say you make a REVIEW - you have done a PREVIEW.

From my POV, you can`t review a thing, without the full feature list and a beta version is not finish.

And if you don`t like BETA don`t preorder one!

Playing: F-16C

Intel i7-13700KF, 64GB DDR5 @5600MHz, RTX 4080 ZOTAC Trinity, WIN 11 64Bit Prof.

Squadron "Serious Uglies" / Discord-Server: https://discord.gg/2WccwBh

Ghost0815

I would say, you cannot say you make a REVIEW - you have done a PREVIEW.

From my POV, you can`t review a thing, without the full feature list and a beta version is not finish.

And if you don`t like BETA don`t preorder one!

Amen.

Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X | i7 9700K@5.0GHz | Gainward Phantom GS RTX 3080 | 32GB DDR4@3200MHz | HP Reverb | TrackIR 5 | TM Warthog HOTAS | MFG Croswinds | DCS PD 1.0 / Steam VR SS 170%

I'm sure you wouldn't be eating Lodbaldur alive if he said the module was 10/10 perfect and ignored the missing missions, campaigns, documentation etc., instead of "mere" 8/10. The borrowed copy would be a non-issue then and it would be a perfectly valid, objective review :lol:.

if he said the module was 10/10

I wouldn't say it's 10/10 & am also miffed by BST's tardiness in getting even the Huey finished, since it's still missing its thermal damage model after two years. Does this mean I now have to think the guy is 10/10?

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

He had asks:

[..]

Any thoughts?

i would not give points for a beta - no serial game magazine give points, why should a youtuber?

You can only report the actual status (what is in the beta and what do you think is missing) and then you can compared this the official announcement!

From my POV, i don`t like the missing/unfinished flight manuals from the each Belsimtek release. This is for me, one of the main points of not buy a new aircraft from Belsimtek!

I have the MiG-15 (it was a gift) and i like to fly it, but i also know it is not a finish product, yet!

Playing: F-16C

Intel i7-13700KF, 64GB DDR5 @5600MHz, RTX 4080 ZOTAC Trinity, WIN 11 64Bit Prof.

Squadron "Serious Uglies" / Discord-Server: https://discord.gg/2WccwBh

Ghost0815

I'd like to add my 2 cents here for the new people to DCS or those who don't really follow the forums that often.

Please don't take reviews of products that are in beta too seriously. As others have said they are a preview not a review. And in most cases not by someone who follows what is going on in the DCS world.

The facts are (even if some people don't want to except it) that both the F-86 and the Mig-15 weren't meant for the current graphics engine they are for EDGE 2.0. IMHO BST has and is working on content for these aircraft, however, it makes no sense to put out content that won't work as intended on a (sorry here ED don't mean to insult) out of date graphics engine. And makes even less sense to waste time and money trying to down grade product, just so people will stop complaining.

BST put out these AC so that we could have a taste of what the future holds. Why would they do this (you may ask). Because we asked them too.

Any complaints on beta products, should be held for at least several months after EDGE 2.0.

Believe me, the DEV's are working VERY hard on getting EDGE 2 ready, and want it out as fast as they can get it to work correctly. And why is this so, because if it works as they have planned, they are looking at a major influx for users to the DCS world. No other flight simulator, (short of Military or Professional ones costing in the hundreds of thousands of dollars) has the content and/or abilities as DCS will.

When I was a young'in, my father once told me, "If you want to know which way to proceed....Just follow the money!". Why do you think more and more 3rd party dev's are coming on board and investing time and money, its because they stand to make a killing if ED can pull off what they have planned.

Ok, I know I've went on for too long, sorry about that.

Be well, have fun, and see you in the sky.

• Like 1