Popular places to source switches, buttons, encoders, etc?

agathorn

Hey all,

I'm curious what are the more popular places builders around here use to source switches, buttons, rotary encoders, etc for panels?

Intel i7-4770k @ 4.4ghz, 32gb ram, GTX 1080ti, Oculus Rift S

Advanced apologies if my post contains typos or missing letters. Many of my posts are typed on a laptop with an old keyboard that has a personality all its own.

Digikey. Wow that's some serious information overload. I love it.

Advanced apologies if my post contains typos or missing letters. Many of my posts are typed on a laptop with an old keyboard that has a personality all its own.

eBay... Chinese parts are very inexpensive. You will be amazed at the savings and the quality is definitely acceptable. With the hundreds of components I have purchased, only once did I get a batch of bad MAX 487 chips. When reported, the store sent me a new batch which worked just fine.

Just do some searching on eBay... loads of whatever you'll need.:thumbup:

Regards

John W

aka WarHog.

My Cockpit Build Pictures...

John Wall

My Arduino Sketches ... https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1-Dc0Wd9C5l3uY-cPj1iQD3iAEHY6EuHg?usp=sharing

WIN 10 Pro, i8-8700k @ 5.0ghz, ASUS Maximus x Code, 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Ram,

AIO Water Cooler, M.2 512GB NVMe,

500gb SSD, EVGA GTX 1080 ti (11gb), Sony 65” 4K Display

VPC MongoosT-50, TM Warthog Throttle, TRK IR 5.0, Slaw Viper Pedals

eBay... Chinese parts are very inexpensive. You will be amazed at the savings and the quality is definitely acceptable. With the hundreds of components I have purchased, only once did I get a batch of bad MAX 487 chips. When reported, the store sent me a new batch which worked just fine.

Just do some searching on eBay... loads of whatever you'll need.:thumbup:

Problem I have with the stuff on eBay is you don't really know exactly what you are getting, so it isn't possible to look up data sheets. I've seen several items even where they claim it is one thing but when you look up the sheets on that thing it clearly isn't what they are selling.

Since I am working up cad files its helpful to have all the dimension data.

I have never had that problem. I have always been able to find data sheets when I thought a data sheet was needed. As to cad files, I have drawn over 400 AutoCAD files ranging from gauge faces, panels and knobs to PCBS for smd components working to an accuracy of .0005”. When it comes to electronic components, these Chinese, Japanese, Thai and South Korean vendors don't screw around. They can't afford to as eBay will drop them if they get complaints. Besides, where do you think the American, British, Canadian vendors get most of their parts from... Asia. :smilewink:

Arduino Mega in North America... $35.00. Chinese clone... $11.00. Functionality... same

Lighted toggle switch .... $7-8.00 in North America. From China $2.40. Both products are from same manufacturer. You can see more Chinese parts on my Flickr page. Link is in my signature.

But each to his own. If one can afford parts from Digikey and Mouser (and their shipping costs) and can't wait a few weeks for deliveries from across the world, then I say... go for it. I just want to make sure new cockpit builders know there are alternatives to the over priced parts available from your local suppliers.:pilotfly:

Regards

John W

aka WarHog.

John Wall

My Arduino Sketches ... https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1-Dc0Wd9C5l3uY-cPj1iQD3iAEHY6EuHg?usp=sharing

WIN 10 Pro, i8-8700k @ 5.0ghz, ASUS Maximus x Code, 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Ram,

I have never had that problem. I have always been able to find data sheets when I thought a data sheet was needed. As to cad files, I have drawn over 400 AutoCAD files ranging from gauge faces, panels and knobs to PCBS for smd components working to an accuracy of .0005”. When it comes to electronic components, these Chinese, Japanese, Thai and South Korean vendors don't screw around. They can't afford to as eBay will drop them if they get complaints. Besides, where do you think the American, British, Canadian vendors get most of their parts from... Asia. :smilewink:

Arduino Mega in North America... $35.00. Chinese clone... $11.00. Functionality... same

Lighted toggle switch .... $7-8.00 in North America. From China $2.40. Both products are from same manufacturer. You can see more Chinese parts on my Flickr page. Link is in my signature.

But each to his own. If one can afford parts from Digikey and Mouser (and their shipping costs) and can't wait a few weeks for deliveries from across the world, then I say... go for it. I just want to make sure new cockpit builders know there are alternatives to the over priced parts available from your local suppliers.:pilotfly:

Oh you misunderstand me. I don't have a problem with parts from China. Its more the sellers that I have a problem with on eBay is most of the listings I found through searches were just trash and didn't really have the detailed information I would want, like the data sheets do on an electronics store. If I can find good sellers with good listings then that would be a different story. I'll check out the link in your sig.

So I guess what I am saying is that as a reference for builders of places to buy from, it would be nice to link to specific good eBay stores rather than just say "eBay".

Edited by agathorn

Here is a perfect example of what I mean: https://www.ebay.com/itm/5pcs-Rotary-encoder-with-switch-EC11-Audio-digital-potentiometer-20mm-handle/311425031956?hash=item488260df14:g:GnMAAOSwv-NWUrCs

Supposedly an EC11 Rotary Encoder. Ok let's find the datasheet. Which specific EC11 is it? I pull up the entire EC11 series on a normal electronics website and try to find this specific one. Looks like a vertical mount, ok. Listing says "Pulse Number: 20" so presumably that means it has 20 pulses. But wait, there isn't a single EC11 with 20 pulses according to the official data. There are ones with 18 pulses, but not 20.

So now I'm left wondering if it really is an EC11 at all. Is it just a mistake in the listing, or is it in fact not an EC11 but being marketed as such? Who knows, but since I don't know how can I model it up? If it was an official one I could even just download the provided CAD from the manufacturer.

So yeah if anyone knows of specific eBay stores that sell components with proper details then I'd love those links. But eBay in general searching seems pretty crappy for me so far.

I buy a lot of my stuff through Aliexpress if I can wait a month or so for it to arrive. Descriptions usually include enough information to find a datasheet. I often use Arrow and RS Electronics for things that are either urgent or are being used for things that I believe warrant it. Tactile switches, for example. For some things, I'm fine with using Aliexpress switches. $2 for a bag of 50. If the switches are going somewhere that will take me significant time or effort to replace should they go bad, I spend the same money on a single Omron switch from Arrow. It might not really make a difference but the prices are so low for the effort expended that the peace of mind is worth it.

I buy a lot of my stuff through Aliexpress if I can wait a month or so for it to arrive. Descriptions usually include enough information to find a datasheet. I often use Arrow and RS Electronics for things that are either urgent or are being used for things that I believe warrant it. Tactile switches, for example. For some things, I'm fine with using Aliexpress switches. $2 for a bag of 50. If the switches are going somewhere that will take me significant time or effort to replace should they go bad, I spend the same money on a single Omron switch from Arrow. It might not really make a difference but the prices are so low for the effort expended that the peace of mind is worth it.

Do you have any particular sellers on AliExpress that you use frequently?

I guess part of this too is just ordering some components from various places and seeing if you are happy with them or not. Like you say things like push buttons the feel is often very important, and you won't know if you like it or not until you try it.

Here are a few of my favorites.

I purchased all of my toggle switches from mobilev below.

https://www.ebay.com/str/mobileveletronicsshop?LH_BIN=1

Arduino boards from:

https://www.ebay.com/str/txhangelectronic

Displays for MFCDs and CDU:

https://www.ebay.com/str/chinatobby2011

Basic components, resistors, caps, diodes etc from

https://www.ebay.com/str/satisfyelectronics

Regards

John W

aka WarHog.

John Wall

Do you have any particular sellers on AliExpress that you use frequently?

I guess part of this too is just ordering some components from various places and seeing if you are happy with them or not. Like you say things like push buttons the feel is often very important, and you won't know if you like it or not until you try it.

Before I even click on a listing, I look at the number of sales and the seller's rating. After that, I check the reviews. I've ordered about sixty individual items so far this year and I have only had two fail to arrive. My only real issue is that I keep adding cheap components to my cart and then discovering that I've gone over my budget. Buying on Aliexpress is almost a hobby within itself.

Edited by Biggus
Removed a word

My only real issue is that I keep adding cheap components to my cart and then discovering that I've gone over my budget. Buying on Aliexpress is almost a hobby within itself.

Funny how that always seem to happen :music_whistling:

Also, when you need three, buy five. ...its always good to have spares. :thumbup:

Regards

John W

aka WarHog.

John Wall

Here are a few of my favorites.

I purchased all of my toggle switches from mobilev below.

https://www.ebay.com/str/mobileveletronicsshop?LH_BIN=1

Arduino boards from:

https://www.ebay.com/str/txhangelectronic

Displays for MFCDs and CDU:

https://www.ebay.com/str/chinatobby2011

Basic components, resistors, caps, diodes etc from

https://www.ebay.com/str/satisfyelectronics

Thank you for the tips! This hobby is expensive enough as it is, nice to save a few bucks here and there!! :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

I get most of my electrical stuff from all electronics.com iirc

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.