DCS Environment and Hosting

SARP

Hi there,

I could not understand why:

- ED does not host official servers

- ED does not create official PvP scenerios

- ED does not include Combined Arms module with this offical PvP scenerios while we definitely in need ground units, JTAC and Tactical Commanders to invade Airfields AND while they are all playable.

One this type of scenerio would keep running for days in "a bit more" realistic combat environment.

Please accept my appologies if i am wrong, i am very newcomer for DCS World.

ASUS TUFZ270 MARK 1 / Intel i7-7700K @4.8Ghz / 32GB DDR4 @3000Mhz / Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB / 3x TS240GSSD20S SSD / Philips BDM4350 / TrackIR 5

1. Because it's expensive and they don't have to, they gave it to.the community

2. Because they don't have servers. See #1

3. See #2.

It's not uncommon for games that have community hosting to not bother with official servers, which nobody plays on anyway in any of the games I've seen with both.

They are building a dynamic campaign engine.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

Hi zhukov032186,

I dont believe hosting could be as expensive as that any game producer could not handle. May be it is, just dont know.

The other your point of view "dont have to" which is a strict and thick line - also which i may agree but i do not - may come to that ED does not have to update any software by any means as well.

I guess this is "all about" improving users/players experience.

I wouldnt like to talk about any "sales & marketing strategy" which is completely ED's concern and none of my business, and also may subject to "dont have to" here.

What i wrote was just some hopefully thoughts which may someday worth to consider by ED.

Thats all my friend.

Edited by =SARP=
my poor english :)

ASUS TUFZ270 MARK 1 / Intel i7-7700K @4.8Ghz / 32GB DDR4 @3000Mhz / Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB / 3x TS240GSSD20S SSD / Philips BDM4350 / TrackIR 5

I wasn't criticising or being mean. It's not that it's impossibly expensive, just that it's unnecessary. Most games that allow private servers have relatively little activity on the official ones, if they even exist. In the DCS environ there are only a few thousand people who even play online at all, and of them only a few hundred are super active. Running the server isn't expensive per say, but hiring someone to make missions and monitor them would be. Without a dynamic engine, it requires somebody be there creating and changing missions frequently.

After dynamic campaigns come around, if population increases, it might be worth it, but right now... people would just use the community servers anyway.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

I think it boils down to two main reasons.

1. Maintaining a server and creating that content is time consuming.

2. Most MP content provided by ED/3rd parties in modules is overshadowed by community content.

Simple as that. Maintaining a server, especially a populated one, requires someone on hand to keep tabs of things by handling restarts if issues occur, moderating over any disputes, and anything else that constitutes keeping things running smoothly. Making the content and trying to keep it popular is also part of it.

There are a few instances of PvP missions being included in a few of the modules and they are rarely if ever played. Coop missions have a higher likely hood of being played but its usually in the form of private sessions among friends. I can't think of any "server co-op" missions included in any of the modules that would work well on a public server being left up for potentially hours.

Maybe someday in the future they might have a server, but even then it is difficult to say where it'd fit in with the likes of BlueFlag, GAW, DDCS, etc.

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum