Hover stability in AV-8B

franx

I've read and reread the manual and watched training videos, but no matter what I do I can't seem to keep stable control of my Harrier below 100 in knots -- the rocking starts, the machine seems to drop too fast, etc. At 60 knots and below, forget it. Crash city. How the heck do you keep a steady flight orientation as you enter such slow speeds? Is there some stabilizing system I'm forgetting to turn on?

aka MadMonk; Windows 10, 64 bit, Radeon 6800XT gpu, Ryzen 5 5600 cpu, 32 gig ram; Samsung 2TB EVO SSD, Thrustmaster Warthog throttle and stick, Saitek combat rudder pedals; Oculus Rift.

Use ruder kicks to help stabilize. Make sure you arent overweight, make sure water is on same for flaps. Make sure you arent behind the power curve.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Make sure you are in VSTOL model and LEARN what the HUD display is telling you.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

Don’t worry it is easy and you need to practice nothing more, I can show you. I sent you a PM.

Dream Commodore 64C, 1530 datasette, 1541 floppy disk drive, DCS cartridge, competition pro joystick, 14” Tv with VCR.

Arturo "Chaco" Gonzalez Thomas

It is not that easy, but you can learn it.

IIRC, real world Harrier pilots have a two year training only for hovering...

Take a clean one, set the fuel to 50% and try to hover it (take off) in VSTOL mode (HUD) with water turned off and nozzles at 85°.

It just a game and is easy to learn technique, only one well explained session.

Dream Commodore 64C, 1530 datasette, 1541 floppy disk drive, DCS cartridge, competition pro joystick, 14” Tv with VCR.

Find me on the 59th server 1, I can show how to master the "Capture attitude technique" in only one lesson.

If I can give you some advise, keep weight low, (below 23k pounds) load the airplane with no stores and practice just vertical take offs and vertical landings on airfields... than try to land on a FARP. And lastly, land on the LHA. After a while it's easy.

Thanks to all above. I'm not having trouble with vertical take offs; it's the loss of reliable control in the final stages of a landing that's the issue. I seem to be doing everything suggested above. But obviously I'm missing something. Will doublecheck tonight and respond.

aka MadMonk; Windows 10, 64 bit, Radeon 6800XT gpu, Ryzen 5 5600 cpu, 32 gig ram; Samsung 2TB EVO SSD, Thrustmaster Warthog throttle and stick, Saitek combat rudder pedals; Oculus Rift.

The training mission text is hard to read on my screen. But I’ll give it another go.

Wow! Thanks!

Amen brother! ;)