Question about T-pod

Chiron

On this subject, I find the max zoom on the TPOD to be borderline useless. I avoid missions that would require use of the TPOD because even at 15,000' directly above a target I can barely make out what it is. This is after going to NARROW view mode and using the zoom axis bind to zoom all the way in. Is there another level of zoom I'm missing? I find it hard to believe that a contemporary TPOD from any nation would have such a poor zoom.

On this subject, I find the max zoom on the TPOD to be borderline useless. I avoid missions that would require use of the TPOD because even at 15,000' directly above a target I can barely make out what it is. This is after going to NARROW view mode and using the zoom axis bind to zoom all the way in. Is there another level of zoom I'm missing? I find it hard to believe that a contemporary TPOD from any nation would have such a poor zoom.

Narrow / Wide + Fov increase / Decrease

but something is not right sometimes even if i zoom all the way in i dont see much details i though its lag or VR issue ( someone correct me if i am wrong ) .. all the time for example in BF i know where is the Farp i am gonna hit and i zoom with T-Pod yet not much details even in 15nm sometimes 10 nm once i got to like 7nm i see all details if i can zoom should it be detailed ?

I think you guys expect too much from a targeting pod. The A-10, F-18, F-16 and AV-8B pods in DCS have unrealistically good picture quality at high zoom.

Consider the facts that: A) FLIR always has lower res than CCD and B) any zoom besides NARO is digital zoom and the picture quality will decrease as you zoom in, even with the image processing that the pod software likely performs.

Of course, I can't know how the WMD-7 performs, but I'm basing my answer on real pilot feedback re: the pod on the F-18 and personal experience with similar equipment.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

I think you guys expect too much from a targeting pod. The A-10, F-18, F-16 and AV-8B pods in DCS have unrealistically good picture quality at high zoom.

Consider the facts that: A) FLIR always has lower res than CCD and B) any zoom besides NARO is digital zoom and the picture quality will decrease as you zoom in, even with the image processing that the pod software likely performs.

Of course, I can't know how the WMD-7 performs, but I'm basing my answer on real pilot feedback re: the pod on the F-18 and personal experience with similar equipment.

no i am not talking about picture quality there is a missing details like from 20nm i see 1 tank in 7nm i see like 8 that is an example of what i am talking about

no i am not talking about picture quality there is a missing details like from 20nm i see 1 tank in 7nm i see like 8 that is an example of what i am talking about

Computer settings and LODs are what you are saying. Only hope is you can crank your settings like visibility and pre load radius I think

Like with C-802AKG, not even terrain or any objects render over 40nm away

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg

hijacking the thread:

does anyone have issues with tpod controls? sometimes i have area track on, it tracks perfectly fine but i need to slightly move it - and it moves in the opposite direction of my tdc input. like, i press tdc right, it moves left. i press tdc left, it moves left but more. if i dont press anything, it tracks the current point. so i cant move right at all. only sometimes however.

anyone else with this issue? it makes using LGBs painful.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600X

GPU: AMD RX 580

hijacking the thread:

does anyone have issues with tpod controls? sometimes i have area track on, it tracks perfectly fine but i need to slightly move it - and it moves in the opposite direction of my tdc input. like, i press tdc right, it moves left. i press tdc left, it moves left but more. if i dont press anything, it tracks the current point. so i cant move right at all. only sometimes however.

anyone else with this issue? it makes using LGBs painful.

go to axis setting and invert them

I don't think this is true as there are many examples of TPOD footage on the internet that are similar to what we can do in DCS with those planes.

Here's footage taken from a pod in 2001 that is better than what we can see with the WMD7 (don't forget that the video quality is degraded, but you can hear the crew describing what they can see):

go to axis setting and invert them

you misunderstood my post

copy-pasting the relevant part here:

i press tdc right, it moves left. i press tdc left, it moves left but more. if i dont press anything, it tracks the current point.

again, this only happens if the target is in certain angle, otherwise not. its dependent on relative position of target and aircraft. its not a mapping issue.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600X

GPU: AMD RX 580

i press tdc right, it moves left. i press tdc left, it moves left but more. if i dont press anything, it tracks the current point.

again, this only happens if the target is in certain angle, otherwise not. its dependent on relative position of target and aircraft. its not a mapping issue.

I am experiencing the same thing. When the pod is facing forward the controls are just fine, but when turning away for lets say 90 degrees the pod controls are inverted.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The pod currently doesnt move relative to the ground, it moves relative to the aircraft.

So if you're turning, you have to fight the turning of the aircraft and if your slew rate is too low, you wont overcome it. you need to zoom out a bit to get a better slew rate, or fly straighter.