A little May update about MiG-19P

OverStratos

First tests of the gunsights:

ASP-5 Optical gunsight

41498845_1867766653309964_3395613238845505536_o.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=a7886229017ad0a5e6fe23a934c68066&oe=5BF357DE

AR-18 Radar gunsights (at the center of the ASP-5 gunsight).

41501524_1867766966643266_3253702945245495296_o.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=fdcd46775c7d315c3fb74abdbb2a795a&oe=5C25D2E2

This test is to check basic functionality.

Comparison with the real gunsights:

41536623_1867776229975673_2656833350165069824_o.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=860168f4210ec5741aeab35552d1bf2c&oe=5C230103

Edited by Zeus67

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great footage!

Is the radar working or is it WIP?

If the MiG-21's radar not so good, how bad is the MiG-19's? :smilewink:

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Cold War 1947 - 1991                                       Discord
Helicopters Tournaments
Combined Arms Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

Great footage!

Is the radar working or is it WIP?

If the MiG-21's radar not so good, how bad is the MiG-19's? :smilewink:

The MiG-19P's radar is a basic gunnery radar. It has a 12 Km (6.5 nm) detection range and a lock range from 2 to 4 Km (1 to 2.2 nm).

Ground return makes it unusable below 2000 m (6500 feet) AGL. You start getting ground returns at 3500 m (11500 feet) AGL.

Remember that this is a 1st generation radar.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."

ASP-5 Optical gunsight

41498845_1867766653309964_3395613238845505536_o.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=a7886229017ad0a5e6fe23a934c68066&oe=5BF357DE

41501524_1867766966643266_3253702945245495296_o.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=fdcd46775c7d315c3fb74abdbb2a795a&oe=5C25D2E2

41536623_1867776229975673_2656833350165069824_o.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=860168f4210ec5741aeab35552d1bf2c&oe=5C230103

Looks good. Can't wait! Will we have it before Christmas? :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The MiG-19P's radar is a basic gunnery radar. It has a 12 Km (6.5 nm) detection range and a lock range from 2 to 4 Km (1 to 2.2 nm).

Ground return makes it unusable below 2000 m (6500 feet) AGL. You start getting ground returns at 3500 m (11500 feet) AGL.

Remember that this is a 1st generation radar.

Yeah, I thought so.

Don't know why they ever bothered to put the radar there in the first place. Costs money and not really necessary. I mean, WWll pilots managed to score plenty of kills and I don't think they ever complained about being unable to estimate the distance to the bandit, or having a hard time hitting him, etc.

Probably it's something to help the average pilot get some kills. After all, they weren't all aces. So maybe that's how it all started. But again, that's just my guess on why the radar.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

Yeah, I thought so.

Don't know why they ever bothered to put the radar there in the first place. Costs money and not really necessary. I mean, WWll pilots managed to score plenty of kills and I don't think they ever complained about being unable to estimate the distance to the bandit, or having a hard time hitting him, etc.

Probably it's something to help the average pilot get some kills. After all, they weren't all aces. So maybe that's how it all started. But again, that's just my guess on why the radar.

It is a big help. The F-86 Sabre racked a lot of kills thanks to its gunnery radar. Do not dismiss it because it has many failings compared to current ones.

Gunnery radars, when they were introduced, were a big game changer in aerial combat and everybody rushed to put one aboard their aircrafts.

(Snip)

ASP-5 Optical gunsight

(Snip)

(Snip)

That looks GREAT!

Quick question, how do you designate in the 19P? Is it like the Saber where you sight the target and depress a lock button or does it range things automatically in front?

Yeah, I thought so.

I would like to point out: Many early radar implementations were for interceptions. As in intercepting things at altitude that are attempting to avoid detection or breach airspace. So while it may not be particularly helpful at low altitudes in a dogfight; at high altitudes in, for instance, bad weather or at night. That radar would be as good as gold :smilewink:

the radar equipped all weather interceptor is a direct descendant of ww2 night fighters. they are meant to attack targets that are using weather or nighttime -- in other words, exploiting poor visibility conditions to avoid engagements.

such is the mig-19p, which is why it has a secondary reflector displaying a targeting proxy to enable gunnery even in zero visibility conditions.

the mig-19p's primary purpose is to hunt down bombers under poor visibility, not to duke it out with enemy fighters -- that was the job of the lighter, radarless mig-19'S'.

Edited by probad

The argument about the benefit of the radar being helpful at night or in bad weather conditions makes a lot of sense.

Thanks for the input.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

the radar equipped all weather interceptor is a direct descendant of ww2 night fighters. they are meant to attack targets that are using weather or nighttime -- in other words, exploiting poor visibility conditions to avoid engagements.

such is the mig-19p, which is why it has a secondary reflector displaying a targeting proxy to enable gunnery even in zero visibility conditions.

the mig-19p's primary purpose is to hunt down bombers under poor visibility, not to duke it out with enemy fighters -- that was the job of the lighter, radarless mig-19'S'.

:thumbup:

On western side it was the Sabre Dog

https://fr.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_F-86D_Sabre

North_American_F-86D-1s_USAF_in_flight.jpg

1280px-Cockpit_view_F86D.jpg

Night/ bad weather interceptions were probably challenging in these days :music_whistling:

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

As some have mentioned, the main purpose is to be able to intercept and destroy air assets at night or bad weather, where a day fighter would struggle.

The radar is able to search for targets from 12-9km distance and will automatically lock any aircraft within a 7 degrees cone at the distance of 4 to 3.5 km forward of the MiG-19. The RP-5 is able to lock while still searching (because it uses two radars), so it is kind of an old TWS system.

As some have mentioned, the main purpose is to be able to intercept and destroy air assets at night or bad weather, where a day fighter would struggle.

The radar is able to search for targets from 12-9km distance and will automatically lock any aircraft within a 7 degrees cone at the distance of 4 to 3.5 km forward of the MiG-19. The RP-5 is able to lock while still searching (because it uses two radars), so it is kind of an old TWS system.

So old and so capable in a way. Veeery interesting.

Can't wait for the manual. As always, I read the manuals of my modules first and memorise what is necessary. So gather as much details as possibe, please :thumbup:

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

That's neat. So it could track and intercept multiple targets at once.

Is this the same radar that could later guide beam-riding RS-1 missiles on later 19PM variants?

Interesting read about Flying and Fighting in the MiG-19 (in this case the chinese built F6)

https://hushkit.net/2017/10/30/flying-and-fighting-in-the-mig-19-in-conversation-with-wg-cdr-irfan-masum-part-1/

mIEiC3c.jpg

Hope we will get a PAK AF skin (even If not correct variant, and a PAF base in the Afghanistan map, that would be useful for the Sabre and a possible Mirage III too).

Edited by Stratos

I don't understand anything in russian except Davai Davai!

Interesting read about Flying and Fighting in the MiG-19 (in this case the chinese built F6)

https://hushkit.net/2017/10/30/flying-and-fighting-in-the-mig-19-in-conversation-with-wg-cdr-irfan-masum-part-1/

mIEiC3c.jpg

Hope we will get a PAK AF skin (even If not correct variant, and a PAF base in the Afghanistan map, that would be useful for the Sabre and a possible Mirage III too).

In case you did not know, Pakistan later rewired the F-6 so they could use the AIM-9B.

Already been asked and the answer was:

While fun, that option is completely unrealistic for operational aicraft. The SM-30 tests only involved a few S airframes and were totally cancelled thereafter.

Related to that there's Firmek's post:

It wasn't incorporated at all as the whole basic concept behind it was flown. The original goal was to launch fighters from mobile platforms that could be towed by trucks and set up pretty much in any place, in event of destruction of the runways. The problem is as far launching was possible (though dangerous) the planes wouldn’t had a place to land afterwards. This would be an expensive way to get the planes in the air. The program was cancel and didn't go further than the prototype stage.

Much more practical and actually implemented was to use road sections.

Here's the original thread: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=183372&page=19

Edited by Akatsuki