AV-8B COPY PROTECTION CHANGE

Wags

AV-8B COPY PROTECTION CHANGE  

441 members have voted

1. 1. AV-8B COPY PROTECTION CHANGE

• 1 Calendar Day
    • 3 Calendar Days ( Current System Under Evaluation )
    • 7 Calendar Days
    • 14 Calendar Days
    • 21 Calendar Days
    • 30 Calendar Days ( Once a Month )
    • 60 Calendar Days
    • 90 Calendar Days

• ED Team

ED has been listening to the feedback, so thanks for sharing.

Give ED some time to evaluate that and then update us.

Thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• Replies 731
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I voted '7 days' because the only moments my PC wouldn't be connected for such a long time would be me moving to another house or me changing my internet provider. And I almost never fly alone.

But I understand all of you who doesn't want time restrictions when playing solo and offline. Steam allows this. Why wouldn't DCS?

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

We are a long time beyond a "pirated copy" as games like DCS are updated regularly and bound to a user account/serial Number combination.

The goal is to prevent criminals from stealing your keys or the whole account so you can enjoy the game you bought.

Is there much account stealing going on with DCS World ?

How would Mr Hackerman get the username and password for an account ?

Genuine curiosity on this

METAR weather for DCS World missions

Guide to help out new DCS MOOSE Users -> HERE

Havoc Company Dedicated server info Connect IP: 94.23.215.203

SRS enabled - freqs - Main = 243, A2A = 244, A2G = 245

Please contact me HERE if you have any server feedback or METAR issues/requests

Trojans, backdoors, malicious websites that install keyloggers, using the same password everywhere so they can try it in multiple online services, perfect if they get access to your game account(s) AND the email account to verify password changes...

Not impossible with the new system, but better than finding out the "key" you bought has been used already or simply been generated by a fake shop...

Let's see what ED will do about it.

They already clarified they are in transition to the new DRM and nothing is built in stone yet.

Hopefully we have enough reasonable and well explained feedback here, to get it going in the right direction.

:dunno:

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

• ED Team

You wont get any official numbers from ED

but I know of recent examples that include card fraud and key selling to unapproved 3rd party re-sellers and then claiming they were stolen and also thefts from compromised steam accounts.

So the answer is yes unfortunately it does happen but I couldn't give a figure.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

So someone has written a trojan to grab the login config file from your DCS folder ? damn thats very specific

Or just steal all the logins from your browser and find the DCS one for the web store?

Lols posted at same time Bignewy

Card fraud is a separate issue, outside of DRM. Key selling to unapproved re-sellers? do keys not come from ED / 3rd parties making stuff for DCS?

Edited by Johnny_Rico

METAR weather for DCS World missions

Guide to help out new DCS MOOSE Users -> HERE

Havoc Company Dedicated server info Connect IP: 94.23.215.203

SRS enabled - freqs - Main = 243, A2A = 244, A2G = 245

Please contact me HERE if you have any server feedback or METAR issues/requests

Trojans, backdoors, malicious websites that install keyloggers, using the same password everywhere so they can try it in multiple online services, perfect if they get access to your game account(s) AND the email account to verify password changes...

I think whoever would be targeting you through those means would have other goals than fishing out your login for a flight sim. :D

I voted 90 days by default, but even 90 days is inadequate in my opinion. I won't list the many reasons why 3 days is unacceptable, and 90 could still cause issues, because there are many posts that already explain the different concerns - and I don't understand why ED could not think of those beforehand. I'm disappointed at the way this new DRM was rolled out and hope that there will be a course correction. If you must phone home, surely there are ways to do it that are less potentially disruptive to your paying customers.

Adding my voice here since the official thread was closed. Thanks for reading.

Well for starters, Mr Hackerman can look into user files where the username is displayed. Really bad oversight by ED to be honest... :music_whistling:

I think whoever would be targeting you through those means would have other goals than fishing out your login for a flight sim. :D

I voted 90 days by default, but even 90 days is inadequate in my opinion. I won't list the many reasons why 3 days is unacceptable, and 90 could still cause issues, because there are many posts that already explain the different concerns - and I don't understand why ED could not think of those beforehand. I'm disappointed at the way this new DRM was rolled out and hope that there will be a course correction. If you must phone home, surely there are ways to do it that are less potentially disruptive to your paying customers.

Adding my voice here since the official thread was closed. Thanks for reading.

That is a very common misconception of today's cyberthreats. Like any thieve breaking into your home he does not select YOU as a person, neither does the thieve know what he wants to steal specifically.

Say you visited a website with a pdf on it that you download and open, there is a pop up about external blabla that you accept like any average user as there are always these "Do you want this to work than say yes" pop ups. Unfortunately that downloaded plug in is actually a keylogger that from now on records everything you type on the keyboard. If there is something with an @xyz.com that looks like an email address send the next 5000 characters typed in to Mr. Hackerman so he can identify your passwords typed.

If the keylogger wasn't the only tool installed you may got a Trojan, that scans for files including typical user account info e.g. everything following the word "account:", " Username:", "Login:" etc. or looks directly into known locations like your steam client.

Now, if Mr. Hackerman has simply access to your email there will be newsletters, advertising and account communication from your games in the mail. Now, if he changes your email password and sends "forgot my password" request to the gamesite you hopefully have a two factor authentication or at least any other means than your email account to regain access and control over your game accounts.

That is just one example...

Shagrat

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Please Guys and Gals.

I know you are all very intelligent people and want to talk about all kinds of scenarios. We could talk and talk for days about all the technical things we love.

Let us try to stay on "Eagle Dynamics New DRM Expiration Period Limit"

Once again, thank you all for your participation :thumbup:

Happy Simming,

Monnie

Rack Rig: Rosewill RSV-L4000 | Koolance ERM-3K3UC | Xeon E5-1680 v2 @ 4.9ghz w/EK Monoblock | Asus Rampage IV Black Edition | 64GB 2133mhz | SLI TitanXP w/ EK Waterblocks | 2x Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB | Seasonic 1000w Titanium | Windows 10 Pro 64bit | TM Warthog HOTAS w/40cm Extension | MFG Crosswind Rudders | Obutto R3volution | HP Reverb

[...]

That is just one example...

Yes, I can appreciate that. What I'm saying is that if someone compromises my machine to that extent, my DCS account will be the least of my worries, and it would be a sad hacker indeed who would rummage through my emails and think "Digital Combat Simulator... This is where the gold is!". :joystick:

I think ED could offer a 2 tiered solution:

1) A standard low cost version for those who have no issue with the current DRM arrangement. This could use the current model of DCSW free d'load + module purchase with periodic verification of whatever time period is appropriate. This could serve both online and offline players who don't want to invest heavily in the DCSW "sandbox" and have no problem with periodic verification.

2) A significantly higher priced version (~$100?) for those wanting a true stand-alone, non-internet dependent purchase. This option would allow outright purchase of both DCSW and modules for local offline use only. The purchaser would have a stable program that will run indefinitely without requiring future internet connectivity. ED could also charge for DCSW updates as an additional revenue stream. Since DCSW is currently free, they could determine a purchase price that would offset whatever risk they think selling a non DRM product might expose them to.

After discovering this thread yesterday and sleeping on it, I've decided that I'm going back to LOMAC; the whole DRM and periodic online re-verification thing is a deal breaker for me. I'm not going to continue investing serious time and effort into a game I'm essentially only renting; however, I'm going to keep an eye on this and if ED were to make an option available to purchase a truly standalone, offline DCSW and Su33 module, that I'll be first in line, credit card in hand :-)

Edited by WytchCrypt

Alienware Area-51M: i7-9700K, 165Hz 27" ASUS Swift PG279 IPS with G-SYNC, 32GB DDR4 Ram, 1TB M.2 PCie x4 SSD, 1TB SSHD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 8GB GDDR6, Windows 10, CH Eclipse...

Check out my fictional F/A 18-C Hornet and Su33 Flanker skins at: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/?CREATED_BY=WytchCrypt&set_filter=Y

I'm not going to continue investing serious time and effort into a game I'm essentially only renting;

Somewhat OT, but have you read the EULA of any PC games that you 'own'. In almost every case, you only own a license to use it, which, under certain circumstances, can be revoked at any time.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Somewhat OT, but have you read the EULA of any PC games that you 'own'. In almost every case, you only own a license to use it, which, under certain circumstances, can be revoked at any time.

My use of the term "renting" is a metaphor for the fact that I don't control the installation and use of the game on my system or other systems I may later own in future years. Somehow I find it quite unlikely Ubisoft will come knocking to collect their LOMAC CD :smilewink:

Edited by WytchCrypt

Alienware Area-51M: i7-9700K, 165Hz 27" ASUS Swift PG279 IPS with G-SYNC, 32GB DDR4 Ram, 1TB M.2 PCie x4 SSD, 1TB SSHD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 8GB GDDR6, Windows 10, CH Eclipse...

Check out my fictional F/A 18-C Hornet and Su33 Flanker skins at: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/?CREATED_BY=WytchCrypt&set_filter=Y

That is if you do not violate the agreement, but in general there is no "we will revoke the license, whenever we want".

And the "change of DRM" is definitely not a valid cause to cancel the agreement.

I own some boxed DVD copies of DCS modules and they explicitly say "internetactivation required", but ONLY "for online or Local Area Network a internet connection is required".

The difference is that I have no issue with the requirement of a connection for Multiplayer, as I need it anyway, but the option to build and test missions, train a bit offline if my connection has troubles is still a requirement in my view.

And the guarantee, that whenever ED decides to move on to a DCS World 3.x or beyond I have the option to keep my setup and continue playing, as long as my setup works (PC, Windows and Periphery).

Shagrat

Hi

I owned all modules but GPS to support ED and third party to have the best simulation software.

Voted 30 days but I'd prefer no limit or a check when a new update is realeased : I understand the developpers have to protect their creations.

In a perfect world, this check should be required only for multiplayer purposes. Single play should be available without any internet connection required.

John

And the guarantee, that whenever ED decides to move on to a DCS World 3.x or beyond I have the option to keep my setup and continue playing, as long as my setup works (PC, Windows and Periphery).

Exactly. One of my concerns is that as DCS grows and evolves that I will be automatically upgraded to a point where my rig no longer runs at the detail level I like had I been able to stay at 1.5.7 or whatever. Also, once I get a configuration and driver setup I like that runs great with the current DCS, I don't want to be forced to reconfigure due to an automatic update I don't really want or need :smilewink:

I like the new system and for me, personally, internet connection is no problem at all.

To be honest I was surprised that it was "only" every 3 days. Other games, if deciding to use such a mechanism, often decide for 100% connection to the internet.

I voted for 30 days since it seems that there are a lot of people that play DCS for weeks without internet (latest community discussion) and I think 30 days would be a good compromise.

However in the end we are only the users. A user will tend to vote for his best option (90 days). So I'm not that sure whether this poll helps that much. But nonetheless thanks for involving us in this process!

But nonetheless thanks for involving us in this process!

It is worth noting that ED did not create this poll.

This is the original opening post.

Hello Everyone,

Please vote what you feel is an acceptable period of time you can be without connectivity and still use DCS World Offline before having to re-verify your account.

Please only vote here so we have only numbers compiled to submit to Eagle Dynamics.

Please post comments, concerns, addtional suggestion in this thread:

IMPORTANT: AV-8B COPY PROTECTION CHANGE!

Happy Simming,

Monnie

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I like the new system and for me, personally, internet connection is no problem at all.

To be honest I was surprised that it was "only" every 3 days. Other games, if deciding to use such a mechanism, often decide for 100% connection to the internet.

I voted for 30 days since it seems that there are a lot of people that play DCS for weeks without internet (latest community discussion) and I think 30 days would be a good compromise.

However in the end we are only the users. A user will tend to vote for his best option (90 days). So I'm not that sure whether this poll helps that much. But nonetheless thanks for involving us in this process!

It may be worth to note that "other games" that decided for a constant internet connection check, didn't survive for long.

The ones where enraged parents stormed the stores after Christmas demanding refunds and compensation for their children's "worsed christmas ever" quickly dropped the always connected check, others backed away from it after heavy shitstorms and very noticeable drops in sales.

Microsoft announced this as a "new standard" for the Xbox One only to cancel it after a lot of negative comments and when Sony said they won't do it for the PS 4 forcing Microsoft to reconsider.

In the last decade a couple of MMPORG got "shut down", aka the companies decided it is no longer profitable and shut down the servers. Each and every shut down, left a great number of users utterly frustrated and mad at the companies as somebody just ripped their precious hobby out of their hands.

I don't know what I would do, if someone shuts down DCS and denies me the option to at least keep on playing in the latest state as long as my hardware supports it.

I played EF2000 long after its supposed end-of-live, and people still keep Falcon 4.0 alive.

I really hope we get a system that will not leave us out in the rain when the time comes. :(

Shagrat

I really hope we get a system that will not leave us out in the rain when the time comes. :(

ED have in the past specifically stated that the DRM requirement will be lifted in the event that they go out of business.

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'