Stutter introduced with OB Update 9?

Nealius

Ok I found the problem causing the 100% CPU/GPU useage (on my end). Its not the overclock, but rather the LED system my motherboard runs on. If you have an ASUS board with LED lighting, and you use Asus AURA, this is what is causing me to have 100% CPU useage.

If anyone has an LED system turn it off and give that a shot. Im not sure why, I just know that this is confirmed for me. It is a software conflict, and this is causing DCS to run at 85-90% CPU/GPU load. This is what is causing the stuttering.

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+ AH64D grip + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

Ok I found the problem causing the 100% CPU/GPU useage (on my end). Its not the overclock, but rather the LED system my motherboard runs on. If you have an ASUS board with LED lighting, and you use Asus AURA, this is what is causing me to have 100% CPU useage.

If anyone has an LED system turn it off and give that a shot. Im not sure why, I just know that this is confirmed for me. It is a software conflict, and this is causing DCS to run at 85-90% CPU/GPU load. This is what is causing the stuttering.

Interesting find but my ASUS MOBO LED has always been off and I have stutters so I don’t think this will help everyone. However, your finding could be suggestive that the stutters could be coming from other background processes but I still think it’s really due to DCS issues and not being optimized.

Edited by =BJM=

i5 7600K @4.8GHz | 1080 Ti | 32GB 3200MHz | SSD | DCS SETTINGS | "COCKPIT"

Try this: when you load up DCS, enter a mission whether its a quick start or multiplayer. When your mission finally loads up, alt-tab to desktop and open up task manager. Double check and see if DCS is running at greater than 65% cpu power. If it is, chances are good that something else is running at 10% or greater CPU power too. Kill that task and see if that solves the issue. Mine just happened to be LightingService (32 bit). It "MIGHT" have something to do with the RGB colors on my dimm modules.

Edited by Hammer1-1

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+ AH64D grip + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

I would reinstall aura personally it shouldn't be using that much CPU. I do know at one point when Aura was using higher than normal CPU for me, not 100% on any core but as soon as I set my own color and lighting options it went back to using almost no resources at all. I would also check to see if maybe it's conflicting with any other RGB software if you have any shineys besides Asus stuff.

Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.  

I run ASUS Aura(latest version) for my MoBo and Ram - I like being fickle and changing colors - no issues. I'm on Nvidia 399.24 and Win10 build 1509. I have it stuck in an update loop on a metered connection. I also run 3rd party security software. Definitely recommend process lasso, classify as high performance process and process lasso power management settings.

Minimize background processes! This can't be emphasized enough. I run several controller and sim related utilities in my tray and rarely get "stutters" just frame rate drops over busy areas, trees, etc. at low altitudes, which is normal and can be mitigated by not trying to max every graphic setting. I also keep the frame rate limiter at 60fps in Riva Tuner.

It's usually something simple like power management setting reset during a driver or windows update. Our computers only do what we tell them to do, if they freeze up or stutter it's because they're confused.

I just recently installed some Video editing software and both Avid and Adobe install all kinds of bloatware on your machine. This is typical of most software you install these days. It assumes you want to multitask or be connected to the internet all the time.

The latest "stutter" issue I dealt with was because of an upgrade to Crosswind pedals. Weird stutters with controller inputs. Forgot to clear out the axis settings in the controller spreadsheet. Cleared those and butter smooth at 60fps.

For the most part I've seen improved performance with the latest OB builds and mature modules out of early access. Still can't turn on Msaa at 4k. But I've been able to bump up to 4096 by 2160 with FXAA enabled in the driver.

For the guys having problems getting above 60fps with TrackIR; the only experience I have with high refresh rate monitors is my ASUS 166z Gsync. I prefer big screen 4K at 60hz to the smaller monitor but the image quality is phenomenal. Butter. With my build I can get 90-100fps over complex areas and way over 100+ over ocean, high alt, or desert at 1440p maxed MSAA 2X w/o motion blur or SSAA. Expensive solution but Gsync does work very well.

What I would like to see is some kind of build that adjusts graphic settings in real time to keep a target frame rate. I can change up settings quite a bit from module to module and map to map. Easier said than done.

I have noticed steadily increasing RAM usage even with older modules even after rebooting and clearing out fxo and metashaders folder. I recently upgraded from 16 to 32 GB ram. So far so good, definitely more stable. RAM usage seems to increase when you have more available. I was typically using 10-12 GB across all modules single player. Now it's more like 14-15GB which is definitely not enough for the OS and everything else when you are pushing settings. A RAM upgrade won't solve stutters, but DCS will use it.

Haha, glad I am not the only one that bitches about Asus Aura, the most useless software in the whole universe since the big bang happened.

It HEAVILY depends what kind of scheme you have selected in Aura, the SMART scheme uses most CPU cycles of them all, in my case it's always #1 in TaskManager for my daily work, it eats mo CPU than any other idling or light tasks. Right now about 2.8% CPU, which is FAR too much for 5GHz and 6/6 cores/ht.

I should deinstall it and set the LED to OFF in Bios.

That's when glimmer & glitter overtake quality and usability.

Thank you Asus for such a bad software.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

I would reinstall aura personally it shouldn't be using that much CPU. I do know at one point when Aura was using higher than normal CPU for me, not 100% on any core but as soon as I set my own color and lighting options it went back to using almost no resources at all. I would also check to see if maybe it's conflicting with any other RGB software if you have any shineys besides Asus stuff.

I read on some forums yesterday that this is causing a few issues. It normally DOES run at 10% cpu power, but since the last DCS update this wasnt an issue. Now its a compatibility issue for some reason or other. I dont use any other RGB software except the one that comes with my video card. And even then I just have it defaulted. Firestorm works great AFAIK.

Edited by Hammer1-1

My wallpaper and skins

Haha, glad I am not the only one that bitches about Asus Aura, the most useless software in the whole universe since the big bang happened.

It HEAVILY depends what kind of scheme you have selected in Aura, the SMART scheme uses most CPU cycles of them all, in my case it's always #1 in TaskManager for my daily work, it eats mo CPU than any other idling or light tasks. Right now about 2.8% CPU, which is FAR too much for 5GHz and 6/6 cores/ht.

I should deinstall it and set the LED to OFF in Bios.

That's when glimmer & glitter overtake quality and usability.

Thank you Asus for such a bad software.

I really havent had a problem with it...up until NOW. Even before the last update I havent had a problem with it. Now only DCS has a problem with it. Ill just uninstall this until further notice I guess...I dont even use the lighting that much.

My wallpaper and skins

Hello all.

I have to say that I think much of these worries about hardware are misplaced. Of course there are occasions when someone's hardware, being old or below the minimum requirement, will be the root of problems like stuttering, but I never believed that was the problem for me nor do I think it is the problem for many of you. I think that there is a problem with updating. Three times now, when using the stable version and not Beta (though I am sure much of what I am saying is pertinent there as well), I have experienced stutters which have been totally removed with a reinstall from scratch. Its a pain to have to do this but the point here is that it suggests very strongly that the issue is a software one. It seems to me that over a certain period and with certain updates, some type of corruption creeps in which can be subsequently illuminated by a reinstall. Mine is once again smooth as silk, but I wouldn't mind betting Ill have stutters again perhaps within a fortnight.

My CPU is an i9 and my card is a GTX1080Ti and I always felt that it could not be inadequate resources that was the problem with many of the set ups that I have seen in other peoples hardware.. Nor could it be the software's inbuilt inability to mesh effectively with hardware. Its been too smooth on other occasions to think that. No, whatever problems there are I am sure now have to do with updates and corruptions creeping in during the updating process.

Hello all.

I have to say that I think much of these worries about hardware are misplaced. Of course there are occasions when someone's hardware, being old or below the minimum requirement, will be the root of problems like stuttering, but I never believed that was the problem for me nor do I think it is the problem for many of you. I think that there is a problem with updating. Three times now, when using the stable version and not Beta (though I am sure much of what I am saying is pertinent there as well), I have experienced stutters which have been totally removed with a reinstall from scratch. Its a pain to have to do this but the point here is that it suggests very strongly that the issue is a software one. It seems to me that over a certain period and with certain updates, some type of corruption creeps in which can be subsequently illuminated by a reinstall. Mine is once again smooth as silk, but I wouldn't mind betting Ill have stutters again perhaps within a fortnight.

My CPU is an i9 and my card is a GTX1080Ti and I always felt that it could not be inadequate resources that was the problem with many of the set ups that I have seen in other peoples hardware.. Nor could it be the software's inbuilt inability to mesh effectively with hardware. Its been too smooth on other occasions to think that. No, whatever problems there are I am sure now have to do with updates and corruptions creeping in during the updating process.

i concur... while there are hardware issues and config issues, time and time again i have watched performance degrade over time to ultimately be remedied by a install repair or a clean install...

Ryzen R7 1800x|EVGA FTW3 1080Ti|32gb Corsair Dominator Platinum@2666mhz|Samsung 750 EVO|LG 4k 50" Main Display|ASUS PB278Q Reference Display|

Is this correct..?? My CPU is running at 13%, GPU 75%, RAM 50% and Windows Lighting (Aura) at 2.5%? CPU seems low and that's the free flight in the Hornet...

i7 8700k @ 5.0ghz. Strix GTX1080Ti. 32GB RAM @ 3600. 2x Hyper X SSD’s with DCS on one. Oculus Rift S. Asus PG278-QR. Liquid Series PC with liquid CPU and GPU cooling.

Is this correct..?? My CPU is running at 13%, GPU 75%, RAM 50% and Windows Lighting (Aura) at 2.5%? CPU seems low and that's the free flight in the Hornet...

You didn't mention what utility you used for your figures , but some require you to multiply usage by # of physical cores to arrive at a true DCS single-core value . In any event , free flight doesn't tax the cpu much . Add objects , weapon effects , aircraft and it's a different story . Try Ready on the ramp , at heavily-populated Kholki and you'll see what i mean .

Edited by Svsmokey

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

You didn't mention what utility you used for your figures , but some require you to multiply usage by # of physical cores to arrive at a true DCS single-core value . In any event , free flight doesn't tax the cpu much . Add objects , weapon effects , aircraft and it's a different story . Try Ready on the ramp , at heavily-populated Kholki and you'll see what i mean .

Ah sorry, I just used Windows Task Manager. I'll try the loaded up mission like you suggested. Still getting a few micro stutters after the latest update. Before that, glass smooth locked at 60 FPS.

i7 8700k @ 5.0ghz. Strix GTX1080Ti. 32GB RAM @ 3600. 2x Hyper X SSD’s with DCS on one. Oculus Rift S. Asus PG278-QR. Liquid Series PC with liquid CPU and GPU cooling.

Ah sorry, I just used Windows Task Manager. I'll try the loaded up mission like you suggested. Still getting a few micro stutters after the latest update. Before that, glass smooth locked at 60 FPS.

Turn off windows lighting.

My wallpaper and skins

Turn off windows lighting.

Yep, done that and I think it’s made a difference. Turned it off in Task Manager but my case lights are still on, just not changing colour. I’m assuming that’s right?

yes that is approximately correct.. cpu seems low, but it is heavily saturating one core while doing mostly nothing with the others.. this will likely be the cause of most of your stutters... either that one core getting overly saturated, or your GPU running at its limits.. both can be mitigated with a bit of work though.

Ryzen R7 1800x|EVGA FTW3 1080Ti|32gb Corsair Dominator Platinum@2666mhz|Samsung 750 EVO|LG 4k 50" Main Display|ASUS PB278Q Reference Display|

yes that is approximately correct.. cpu seems low, but it is heavily saturating one core while doing mostly nothing with the others.. this will likely be the cause of most of your stutters... either that one core getting overly saturated, or your GPU running at its limits.. both can be mitigated with a bit of work though.

Ok thanks...any ideas how to fix that if it is saturating 1 core?

Ok thanks...any ideas how to fix that if it is saturating 1 core?

Yes. No guarantee (I still don't have PG map) but you should fix this only 1 core (logical core…) stressed by turning OFF hyperthreading, or using free "process lasso" and when DCS is running setting it with "single core perf" (that will stick DCS to only physical cores and do the same job than Hyperthreading off).

To me, with caucasus fore exemple, it really dispach the load accross my 4 physical cores (HT off).

I can't tell if your perf / gpu usage will be higher, it has to be tested.

Yes. No guarantee (I still don't have PG map) but you should fix this only 1 core (logical core…) stressed by turning OFF hyperthreading, or using free "process lasso" and when DCS is running setting it with "single core perf" (that will stick DCS to only physical cores and do the same job than Hyperthreading off).

To me, with caucasus fore exemple, it really dispach the load accross my 4 physical cores (HT off).

I can't tell if your perf / gpu usage will be higher, it has to be tested.

Ok great, thanks. I’ll give it a go with HT off and see what happens.

Have to +1 Process Lasso. It's options have changed recently between updates, and the way to do this now when is right click dcs.exe in process lasso main window, CPU Affinity -> Always -> Disable SMT, which will set the cpu affinity to 0, 2, 4, 6, 8, and 10 which are your physical cores on the 8700k for DCS everytime you launch it. This has helped with certain other titles in my library as well. I decided to go ahead and pay the $36 + tax for the program tonight. But the "free" version should be capable of this even after the trial period i think. This seems to have gotten rid of an issue with a steamVR loading screen I was having, if not recent steamvr beta updates.

Also I tend to run a DCS repair after every update to be on the safe side. Forgot to do this today when i downloaded latest OB update and was still getting some kind of hitch on weapon use but not what I described above, but ran a repair and it seems to be resolved.

Edited by Headwarp
Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.  

I've turned HT off in the BIOS but I can't see any noticeable difference. CPU is still quite low although I did see it go up to 25%. Seems to be back glass smooth locked at 60 FPS now and that's with settings quite high and SSAA at 2x and MSAA at 2x also. If I turn MSAA up to 4x then over heavily tree'd areas etc my frames drop to low 50's. Shame, but it still looks good as it is....

Have to +1 Process Lasso. It's options have changed recently between updates, and the way to do this now when is right click dcs.exe in process lasso main window, CPU Affinity -> Always -> Disable SMT, which will set the cpu affinity to 0, 2, 4, 6, 8, and 10 which are your physical cores on the 8700k for DCS everytime you launch it. This has helped with certain other titles in my library as well. I decided to go ahead and pay the $36 + tax for the program tonight. But the "free" version should be capable of this even after the trial period i think. This seems to have gotten rid of an issue with a steamVR loading screen I was having, if not recent steamvr beta updates.

Also I tend to run a DCS repair after every update to be on the safe side. Forgot to do this today when i downloaded latest OB update and was still getting some kind of hitch on weapon use but not what I described above, but ran a repair and it seems to be resolved.

:thumbup:

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Disable SMT is ghosted out on mine? Odd...

Yep, done that and I think it’s made a difference. Turned it off in Task Manager but my case lights are still on, just not changing colour. I’m assuming that’s right?

It made a huge difference with me night and day. Your case lights should remain on unless you deactivate them in BIOS. They just wont have the animation when you turn them off.

With that service turned on, my cpu would run at 75% load in DCS and my GPU would run at 100% in DCS. With that service turned off my cpu runs at 25% and gpu runs at 50%. Dont ask me why, but its only DCS that causes this.

My wallpaper and skins

It made a huge difference with me night and day. Your case lights should remain on unless you deactivate them in BIOS. They just wont have the animation when you turn them off.

With that service turned on, my cpu would run at 75% load in DCS and my GPU would run at 100% in DCS. With that service turned off my cpu runs at 25% and gpu runs at 50%. Dont ask me why, but its only DCS that causes this.

Spot on, thanks for the tip. Would never had thought about turning off the Aura Lighting!