AIM-9 uncage/cage and EEGS gun funnel

DaveRindner

Yes, if you do not press UNCAGE

Correct.

There is no 'UNCAGE' functionality in the FC3 F-15C, so what you are seeing is correct (if my interpretation of the -34 is correct) behavior if you do not press the 'UNCAGE' button.

I would not expect this to be added in FC3.

Hello GGTharos,

I didn't explain myself well (english is not my native language).

In the sim, even after pressing uncage (key "6") without Radar lock, the only change in seeker-head operation / beahavor, is that:

- the target acquisition area (before seeker lock on target) gets larger (larger circle);

- but the target tracking area (after seeker lock on target) remains very small inside the HUD - the seeker-head doesn't follow the target through its gimbal limits (well outside the HUD).

• Like 1

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system
i7-4790 K , 16 GB DDR3 , GTX 1660 Ti 6GB , Samsung 860 QVO 1TB

That's right. It is correct functionality when you don't push the 'UNCAGE' button. There is no 'UNCAGE' functionality in FC3, it's only boresight vs scan, and it is mis-labeted as 'UNCAGE'.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

In effect, what is happening is that current DCS functionality accelerates the process- uncage is swapping between no-scan and scan (as illustrated), boresighting the missile to pure depressed from gun cross, or permitting search within the FoV circle (the collapsed circle versus the expanded pair), or remaining slaved to the radar.

When acquisition is made through whatever means, the FoV circle is being removed along with other data (when radar slaved), and immediately showing the seeker position on the target, or decoy/other heat source.

This is what would happen with acquisition plus the uncage press. So the function is correct, minus the press in between.

That's right. It is correct functionality when you don't push the 'UNCAGE' button. There is no 'UNCAGE' functionality in FC3, it's only boresight vs scan, and it is mis-labeted as 'UNCAGE'.

Now i'm starting to understand:

In FC3, only are depicted the boresight and scan modes ;

In reality, in the F-15, besides boresight and scan, there's also the Cage / Uncage mode.

Is this it ?

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system

Yes.

And to clarify things, very specifically in the real jet UNCAGE only works once the seeker is tracking something already if I interpret the -34 correctly. This functionality is missing in FC3.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Uncage/Cage are not *modes*. They are *functions*.

Boresight is boresight- the missile's seeker is pointing dead ahead.

Scan is what you *think* as to being "Uncage"- the missile is looking in the field programmed by the FCS: the FoV.

Uncage is something you do AFTER HAVING A LOCK ON.

The reason this matters is because a *mode* is what the FCS will default back to if the acquisition is lost.

• Like 2

No, it's not even close. And it's derisive.

"the arcade of DCS" obviously you didnt understand me but that seems to happen often. the fact the simplified systems compared to other modules is where this statement comes from it's not HAWX arcade but it is ARCADE compared to the fidelity of other modules.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yes.

And to clarify things, very specifically in the real jet UNCAGE only works once the seeker is tracking something already if I interpret the -34 correctly. This functionality is missing in FC3.

Uncage/Cage are not *modes*. They are *functions*.

Boresight is boresight- the missile's seeker is pointing dead ahead.

Scan is what you *think* as to being "Uncage"- the missile is looking in the field programmed by the FCS: the FoV.

Uncage is something you do AFTER HAVING A LOCK ON.

The reason this matters is because a *mode* is what the FCS will default back to if the acquisition is lost.

Very good - that's the kind of details I want to know.

So, this is my take on the subject for the F-14A, also would appreciate your opinion guys if you could (originally posted in a CombatACE thread) :

( The F-16 / AIM-9L pic is only there for comparison and was based on my experience on Falcon BMS. )

http://combatace.com/topic/88803-to-f-14-fans-would-like-your-enlightment-on-avionics-thank-you/

Do you believe the F-14A AIM-9 modes / functions are more or less correct ?

F-16.jpg.1cd6468a71c6a71a0705ee417eba43ca.jpg

F-14.jpg.9f9fb7a6768b4efcf428d285bb927882.jpg

Hangar
Mi-8 MTV2

system

I don't know, but I think the 'manual lock lock seeker' and 'auto lock seeker' seem to be incorrectly worded and might give the wrong idea.

What I understand is that the 'auto-uncage' will occur when the seeker tone reaches a certain volume, vs having to push the 'uncage' button.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I don't know, but I think the 'manual lock lock seeker' and 'auto lock seeker' seem to be incorrectly worded and might give the wrong idea.

What I understand is that the 'auto-uncage' will occur when the seeker tone reaches a certain volume, vs having to push the 'uncage' button.

(I understand you, there are many words I tried to improvise to explain my poin of view on these systems.)

On the 2nd. paragraph let me assure you, these modes and functions do exist in the Falcon BMS - I've tried them to exaustion.

But on those pics there's info missing relating the F-16 and AIM-9L :

TD - treshold; seeker automatically uncages if heat signature rises above preset value.

BP - bypass; bypass treshold mode, pilot press button to uncage.

Relating the F-14A and earlier AIM-9s :

SEAM - Sidewinder Expanded Acquisition Mode.

Edited by Top Jockey

Hangar
Mi-8 MTV2

system

Very good - that's the kind of details I want to know.

So, this is my take on the subject for the F-14A, also would appreciate your opinion guys if you could (originally posted in a CombatACE thread) :

( The F-16 / AIM-9L pic is only there for comparison and was based on my experience on Falcon BMS. )

http://combatace.com/topic/88803-to-f-14-fans-would-like-your-enlightment-on-avionics-thank-you/

Do you believe the F-14A AIM-9 modes / functions are more or less correct ?

Not really, as far as I can tell. Here's the sequence.

319450730_Section6p3-8copy.thumb.png.e9ab137da809838c4423176e0b0a708d.png

1847705133_Section6p9-12abcopy.thumb.jpg.8e651456998d7b0fbc4a009617262a13.jpg

Not really, as far as I can tell. Here's the sequence.

Man... you've made my day.

Just a portuguese guy from the 80's here, who appreciates jet fighters, their weapons, avionics, etc.

Looked for the kind of info you just posted through all the web, talked to a lot of people just to barely speculate and compose the picture I posted above (and mainly incorrect)... I'm stoned.

Trying to diggest the schemmes...

If you wish, you may edit my F-14 pic and post here - otherways I know I will do it some day.

If you ever come to Portugal, the lunch is on me. Thank you!

Hangar
Mi-8 MTV2

system

I wonder where those YT movies are, given that no funnel was ever implemented in the F-15C in RL.

If you look in the F-15 non nuclear weapons delivery manual, they do say the funnel is an optional backup for the GDS

If you look in the F-15 non nuclear weapons delivery manual, they do say the funnel is an optional backup for the GDS

Which?

TO 1F-15C-34-1-1 1 February 1979 Non-Nuclear Weapon Delivery Manual F-15C/D?

TO 1F-15C-34-1-3 15 January 1995 Non-Nuclear Weapon Delivery Manual F-15A/B/C/D MSIP WITH VHSIC?

F-15 Armament Handbook McDonnell Aircraft Company 1979?

Because I have hardcopies of the latter two on my shelf, and digital of the first, and none of them show it for the air-to-air tasked F-15A/C Eagle.

• 2 years later...

To anyone who could share some light on this:

Is it supposed to the AIM-9L / M to get the audio lock tone, on a target at 26 nm distance (even if slaved to radar) ?

Being the target a Tu-22 flying away, and my aircraft on his tail - image below.

A1.thumb.png.ab15262cdba59a1bea73f95ea57ad499.png

Hangar
Mi-8 MTV2

system

If it's putting out enough of a heat signature, then definitely. Bombers have powerful ECM. And powerful heat signatures. You can probably see the ER/ET combo starting to happen here ...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If it's putting out enough of a heat signature, then definitely. Bombers have powerful ECM. And powerful heat signatures. You can probably see the ER/ET combo starting to happen here ...

Thank you GGTharos, will do more 'testing' !

Hangar
Mi-8 MTV2

system

• 2 years later...