MK20 Issue

Revelation

Hi Sandman, tried your track file yesterday and to me all your settings are correct and I see what you are meaning and it`s the same I observed on the last flights. All vehicles have to stay very very close to each other, like in Wags and NineLines videos. And if the impact point is a bit outside the target the bomb have no effect.

Dispersion seems to small for me to but I´m not an weapon expert.

From my research it looks like the CBUs (Mk20 and CBU99) open only at a specific altitude ( about 300-500 ft IIRC) no matter what the setting. Thus the pattern isn't changed.

I thought this is simply WIP, so didn't bother with it. :huh:

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

From my research it looks like the CBUs (Mk20 and CBU99) open only at a specific altitude ( about 300-500 ft IIRC) no matter what the setting. Thus the pattern isn't changed.

I thought this is simply WIP, so didn't bother with it. :huh:

The bomb always opens at 1500 right now, Wags said they'll introduce different opening heights later - because it always opens at 1500, for an effective drop you have to set the HT setting on the stores page to 1500 to get an accurate drop and you need a certain drop profile to get it to spread properly (from Wags' video, it's from a 20 deg dive, pickling at 2500-3000ft). If you come in too steep or too shallow, it won't spread properly.

The bomb always opens at 1500 right now, Wags said they'll introduce different opening heights later - because it always opens at 1500, for an effective drop you have to set the HT setting on the stores page to 1500 to get an accurate drop and you need a certain drop profile to get it to spread properly (from Wags' video, it's from a 20 deg dive, pickling at 2500-3000ft). If you come in too steep or too shallow, it won't spread properly.
Did you check the opening height in the Sim? Does it really open at 1500 ft, now?

Last time I checked it in the F6 external view it still bursted at about 500 ft IIRC.

The pattern impact got better, but against a 300 ft * 900 ft carpet of Infantry the damage is still minimal.

Shagrat

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Did you check the opening height in the Sim? Does it really open at 1500 ft, now?

Last time I checked it in the F6 external view it still bursted at about 500 ft IIRC.

The pattern impact got better, but against a 300 ft * 900 ft carpet of Infantry the damage is still minimal.

I'm just going off of Wags' instructions, I haven't measured it in-game - the bombs are set to 1500, so you have to match that with the HT setting in the Hornet, otherwise you'll miss and the drop profile will be wrong. The Rockeyes have anti-tank bomblets, I wouldn't expect much fragmentation damage against infantry (since they got improved they do seem better, I can score kills on multiple Abrams if they're in a tight formation.

Check the description of this video where Wags explains what I've summarised:

I'm just going off of Wags' instructions, I haven't measured it in-game - the bombs are set to 1500, so you have to match that with the HT setting in the Hornet, otherwise you'll miss and the drop profile will be wrong. The Rockeyes have anti-tank bomblets, I wouldn't expect much fragmentation damage against infantry (since they got improved they do seem better, I can score kills on multiple Abrams if they're in a tight formation.

Check the description of this video where Wags explains what I've summarised:

I did exactly that and matched parameters in game.

As I said, burst height did not change. Still some 500 ft(?).

There is a noticable damage increase, 2 to 3 dead infantry soldiers vs. 0 to 1 before.

Light vehicles now get considerable damage.

I will verify in the internal version, til the weekend. Last test was in Open beta 3 weeks ago, after Wags post.

Edited by shagrat

Shagrat

According to tacview (if the info is correct), they are bursting at 300ft.

I believe the damage caused by the bomblets is now realistic, it’s more the dispersal pattern I feel is off. I think it is way too small for a CBU, to the point that it almost defeats the purpose of a CBU, which is to have a large area of effect from one bomb. Current dispersal damages or destroys vehicles to about the same radius as if I just drop a MK83 onto the same spot.

Edited by Sandman1330

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

• ED Team

One thing to consider as well is that these are unguided shaped charges if they don't hit, they generally won't do much damage. I think this will be improved in the future with different explosion effects they are working on, such as shrapnel tracking and burst pressure. But even with that said, if you use the above parameters, and drop an appropriate amount, you can do very good damage.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

One thing to consider as well is that these are unguided shaped charges if they don't hit, they generally won't do much damage. I think this will be improved in the future with different explosion effects they are working on, such as shrapnel tracking and burst pressure. But even with that said, if you use the above parameters, and drop an appropriate amount, you can do very good damage.
Still the container should open at 1500 ft-ish and not 300ft or am I missing something?

I am happy with the shaped charges.

Very effective against trucks and light armor, but the dispersal pattern is too small for my liking, due to the low HOF.

Shagrat

Still the container should open at 1500 ft-ish and not 300ft or am I missing something?

I am happy with the shaped charges.

Very effective against trucks and light armor, but the dispersal pattern is too small for my liking, due to the low HOF.

Precisely - this is where I'm finding the greatest trouble.

My typical release preferences are to drop in pairs with a higher HOF(1500). The higher HOF should mean a larger dispersal, with less bomblet density. This is why I drop in pairs, so I should get a decent sized pattern, and with 2 of them, decent density. However, with such a small pattern, one has to drop one at a time in a line or using interval, which also works but I think is harder to get hits in combat conditions where you can't always be perfectly on the release parameters due to enemy fire, etc.

Interestingly, I just did a bit of a test. In my track above, I released 2 pairs of rockeyes (total 4) over the formation of enemy BTRs, with 2-3 being destroyed. I did the exact same release with MK83s, and destroyed almost all of the vehicles. This begs the question, why use MK20 at all if a greater effect can be achieved with conventional bombs (and I can carry just as many of those, weight notwithstanding)?

I think with better modelling of the dispersion, the MK20 will really become the deadly anti-armour weapon it's designed to be.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2