Aimless Assumption: WWII Pacific from Leatherneck is Next

Zakatak

I was having a pretty boring and unproductive day in which I decided to write up this post of aimless assumptions to hoggit (DCS subreddit). I figured that I might as well copy and paste it here.

---

Here is a picture of a banner posted on LN's Facebook, after adding contrast.

Here is a diagram of an F4U cockpit, which looks EXACTLY like the cockpit in the picture.

On the right of the image, you can clearly see the Rising Sun of Imperial Japan, the Unites States nemesis during World War II. The A6M Zero is by far the most well known Japanese aircraft of WWII and would likely have the most available documentation and certainly make the most money. I think A6M5 variant would be plenty of competitive enough to go up against the F4U-1A Corsair.

Now that's pretty obvious, but here some other things to think about. On the Leatherneck website, you can see a few things in the background. You can see the P-38 and F6F show up multiple times, but on the homepage, you can see a noticeable wireframe around the models. The F6F in the background of the contact page looks noticeably less developed, so presumably the one on the homepage is improved upon. This tells me they have actually made models for them, though I suppose it's possible they just loaned them from elsewhere. If you were making a Pacific Theater, you'd want to have AI aircraft, and both of these were very common in Pacific. What's more, the Team page has what I'm almost 100% positive is a Yorktown-class carrier in the background, which were used in the Pacific as well.

That's about all the substantial evidence I have, but I guess there is some other stuff. LN said that their aircraft would be shipping with theaters (these planes pretty much require one) but it would be much easier if A) two of them shared the same theater and B) it was mostly water and islands so there was less area to map out and fill up. Going for something with a bit less work load would make sense from an 8 man team. I think Solomon Islands would be best since a lot of other areas only have a tiny bit of landmass (often with 1 airfield) and only covered a very brief period of time in history. If I go balls deep into the territory of aimless assumptions and pulling at straws: working on the A6M/F4U/Yorktown would give them experience with creating carrier operations which could be applied to the F-14's development.

Evidence against this being the case: LN said they were developing an A-G radar, which has nothing to do with the F-14 or this. Perhaps they're waiting on ED to finish up coding the F/A-18's so they have something to go off of?

Thoughts and opinions? If I'm right, VEAO's P-40F would fit right in and be able to join in the fun as well!

---

After taking a second look, I guess the cockpit doesn't look exactly like it does in the picture, but it's still pretty close. Here is a link to the Leatherneck website if you wanted to check the backgrounds I mentioned yourself.

Edited by Zakatak

You just cant stop feeding the hype machine can you, you need to seek help :P

LOL!

Justificus

System Specs:

i7 4970K @ 4.8, GTX 1080 SC, 32GB G.Skill DDR 2133,Thermaltake Level 10 Full Tower Case, Noctua NH-D15 6 Cooler, Win 10 Pro, Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, CH Throttle Quadrant, Oculus, 1 32" & 2 19" Monitors

Modules Owned: A-10C I+II, Ka-50, FC3, F-86, Mig-15, Mig21, UH-1H, Mi-8, CA, P-51D, BF-109K-4, FW-190 D-9, Hawk, NTTR, M-2000C, SA342, F-5E, Spit Mk. IX, AJS-37, Normandy, WWII A.P., AV-8B, F/A-18C, L-39, Persian Gulf, Mig-19P, I-16, Super Carrier, F-16, Channel, Syria

+1

Development of WW2 aircraft should take much less work and time, so this should explain the comment by Cobra that the other 2 aircraft (besides the F14) are in more advanced stages of development.

The A-G radar is a bit puzzling though.....but could they be developing it for the F-18 in collaboration for DCS??? (another wild speculation)

Scenarios :

1. Hellcat/Corsair + Zeke and late war PTO map (Solomons, Leyte, Philippines)

2. Zeke + Jet and early PTO map (midway, coral sea). This could be combined with VEAO Wildcat due in late 2015

3. Hellcat/Corsair + P38 and late war PTO map (P38 would fit in nicely in Normandy)

Edited by airdoc

The three best things in life are a good landing, a good orgasm, and a good bowel movement. The night carrier landing is one of the few opportunities in life to experience all three at the same time.

As someone on Reddit pointed out, I was wrong about that being an F6F on the Contact page. It's a Wildcat, and the inlet on top identifies it as an F4F-4, which first appeared at Midway, which tells us it won't be before that point. More USN goodies!

+1

Development of WW2 aircraft should take much less work and time, so this should explain the comment by Cobra that the other 2 aircraft (besides the F14) are in more advanced stages of development.

The A-G radar is a bit puzzling though.....but could they be developing it for the F-18 in collaboration for DCS??? (another wild speculation)

Scenarios :

1. Hellcat/Corsair + Zeke and late war PTO map (Solomons, Leyte, Philippines)

2. Zeke + Jet and early PTO map (midway, coral sea). This could be combined with VEAO Wildcat due in late 2015

3. Hellcat/Corsair + P38 and late war PTO map (P38 would fit in nicely in Normandy)

We're getting a Wildcat too? If I'm right, hopefully another IJN plane is made since it looks like we're going to have quite a USN bias. Having a flyable P-40/F4F along with whatever LN plans to make for the USN versus just one Japanese plane which I presume is a Zero. The Ki-84 was popular and excellent overall, I think it would be a great choice.

As someone on Reddit pointed out, I was wrong about that being an F6F on the Contact page. It's a Wildcat, and the inlet on top identifies it as an F4F-4, which first appeared at Midway, which tells us it won't be before that point. More USN goodies!

We're getting a Wildcat too? If I'm right, hopefully another IJN plane is made since it looks like we're going to have quite a USN bias. Having a flyable P-40/F4F along with whatever LN plans to make for the USN versus just one Japanese plane which I presume is a Zero. The Ki-84 was popular and excellent overall, I think it would be a great choice.

VEAO is supposed to be doing the Wildcat although I don't know which version.

It doesn't look like the Wildcat cockpit. It wouldn't really make sense, to have them compete with another 3rd party.

After going through the pictures again, i think that it is almost certainly an F4U cockpit. The distinct difference with the F6F-3 cockpit is the presence of a set of switches above the cockpit curvature and bigger on the left side. If you look at their facebook picture, left of the gunsight above the curvature, you can barely discern it, but the bigger switch is there.

The three best things in life are a good landing, a good orgasm, and a good bowel movement. The night carrier landing is one of the few opportunities in life to experience all three at the same time.

It's an F4U cockpit. In any case, I think what we'll see is F4U first + some AI aircraft (A6M, F6F, P-38 and others) + a carrier (no catapult code required, existing carrier code works) + an island map. It's a relatively simple project compared to something like the MiG-21 or F-14 even if there is a lot more 3d modeling to do. But they did just hire a bunch of new people, not all 3d modelers but I think there was at least one in there.

However, given the A-G radar bit and the fact that they said they were doing something for everyone, I don't think there is any chance at all of a second WW2 fighter in that list of 3 flyable planes. My guess for release order is: F4U, F-14, undetermined jet with A-G radar (Su-24 seems probable).

Oh, for a real world replay like Final Countdown. Who would even need to friggin consider any alternative than to kill them all.

Dogs of War Squadron

Call sign "HeadHunter" P-51D /Spitfire Jockey

Gigabyte EP45T-UD3LR /Q9650 3.6Ghz | 16GB DDR3 1600 RipJaws | EVGA GTX-1060 ACX3 FTW | ThrustMaster 16000m & G13 GamePad w/analog rudder stick | TurtleBeach EarForce PX22 | Track IR5 | Vizio 40" 4K TV monitor (stuck temporarily with an Acer 22" :( )

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR6LNhdX0WswpjusyyHpo157Qc1CRqSuRZTLrRTHa6wllQ7RZuyWMHLmJY1

"Crom, I have never prayed to you before. I have no tongue for it. No one, not even you, will remember if we were good men or bad. Why we fought, or why we died. All that matters is that i want to fly my favorite aircraft. That's what's important!

Flight simulation pleases you, Crom... so grant me one request. Grant me an F4U Corsair ! And if you do not listen, then to HELL with you! "

However, given the A-G radar bit and the fact that they said they were doing something for everyone, I don't think there is any chance at all of a second WW2 fighter in that list of 3 flyable planes. My guess for release order is: F4U, F-14, undetermined jet with A-G radar (Su-24 seems probable).

Maybe that undetermined jet will be an A-6 Intruder.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

On the right of the image, you can clearly see the Rising Sun of Imperial Japan, the Unites States nemesis during World War II. The A6M Zero is by far the most well known Japanese aircraft of WWII and would likely have the most available documentation and certainly make the most money. I think A6M5 variant would be plenty of competitive enough to go up against the F4U-1A Corsair.

Now that's pretty obvious, but here some other things to think about. On the Leatherneck website, you can see a few things in the background. You can see the P-38 and F6F show up multiple times, but on the homepage, you can see a noticeable wireframe around the models. The F6F in the background of the contact page looks noticeably less developed, so presumably the one on the homepage is improved upon. This tells me they have actually made models for them, though I suppose it's possible they just loaned them from elsewhere. If you were making a Pacific Theater, you'd want to have AI aircraft, and both of these were very common in Pacific. What's more, the Team page has what I'm almost 100% positive is a Yorktown-class carrier in the background, which were used in the Pacific as well.

That's about all the substantial evidence I have, but I guess there is some other stuff. LN said that their aircraft would be shipping with theaters (these planes pretty much require one) but it would be much easier if A) two of them shared the same theater and B) it was mostly water and islands so there was less area to map out and fill up. Going for something with a bit less work load would make sense from an 8 man team. I think Solomon Islands would be best since a lot of other areas only have a tiny bit of landmass (often with 1 airfield) and only covered a very brief period of time in history. If I go balls deep into the territory of aimless assumptions and pulling at straws: working on the A6M/F4U/Yorktown would give them experience with creating carrier operations which could be applied to the F-14's development.

Evidence against this being the case: LN said they were developing an A-G radar, which has nothing to do with the F-14 or this. Perhaps they're waiting on ED to finish up coding the F/A-18's so they have something to go off of?

Thoughts and opinions? If I'm right, VEAO's P-40F would fit right in and be able to join in the fun as well!

---

After taking a second look, I guess the cockpit doesn't look exactly like it does in the picture, but it's still pretty close. Here is a link to the Leatherneck website if you wanted to check the backgrounds I mentioned yourself.

Here is another bit of supporting evidence for your theory (which I fully agree with):

11004563_899084223475979_995277072550452663_o.jpg

That P-40F scheme is from Guadalcanal 1943. The P-40F is homeless without a new theater since they only really operated in North Africa and the Pacific (with the USAAF). I'm sure the different development studios are coordinating. Developing the Solomon Island theater would allow for prototypical operations of both the F4F and P-40F. North Africa would also work, but the hint about "Flying Leathernecks" doesn't match North Africa while perfectly matching Guadalcanal/Solomons.

Would LOVE a Solomon Islands theater with the F4U (really seems likely), P-40F, and F4F. Could fly the P-40 and F4F when you want to be the underdog. Then fly the F4U when you don't!

-Nick

Here is another bit of supporting evidence for your theory (which I fully agree with):

That P-40F scheme is from Guadalcanal 1943. The P-40F is homeless without a new theater since they only really operated in North Africa and the Pacific (with the USAAF). I'm sure the different development studios are coordinating. Developing the Solomon Island theater would allow for prototypical operations of both the F4F and P-40F. North Africa would also work, but the hint about "Flying Leathernecks" doesn't match North Africa while perfectly matching Guadalcanal/Solomons.

Would LOVE a Solomon Islands theater with the F4U (really seems likely), P-40F, and F4F. Could fly the P-40 and F4F when you want to be the underdog. Then fly the F4U when you don't!

-Nick

Although Nick, VEAO is doing North Africa (Tubruq) to go along with their P-40F. Being Libya, The North Africa part ties the Tomcat Back into the Picture as well. Any way you look at it. DCS will be in really good shape by the end 2016. :)

P.S. I really think you are on to something with the Solomon's theory. IF LNS were able to do a map as large as NTTR, it still would not be much for land mass. What is there, would be mostly elevation mesh and Trees. Not much for structures at all. -Woog

1412451615_DCSPacific.thumb.jpg.6cf13025584aa3dc0094b0ac7aa9b371.jpg

Edited by Woogey

Although Nick, VEAO is doing North Africa (Tubruq) to go along with their P-40F. Being Libya, The North Africa part ties the Tomcat Back into the Picture as well. Any way you look at it. DCS will be in really good shape by the end 2016. :)

P.S. I really think you are on to something with the Solomon's theory. IF LNS were able to do a map as large as NTTR, it still would not be much for land mass. What is there, would be mostly elevation mesh and Trees. Not much for structures at all. -Woog

[ATTACH]115074[/ATTACH]

That's great, it would add a lot to the P-40F experience. Hopefully there is at least one airbase on that map that could launch MiG-23s for some "line of death" confrontations! All of that stuff happened over water, so 1940s era structures, etc would not bother me much. A worthy trade-off!

Best,

Nick