How does the future of DCS WW2 look if Matt Wagner is rights about a global map? - Page 4 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 04-27-2018, 08:28 PM   #31
NRG-Vampire
Veteran

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappShot View Post
A Blue Flag campaign starting in Normandy and continuing all the way to Berlin would be epic.
how about a way to Ardennes ? sounds more historical and feasible isn't it ?
Old 05-07-2018, 09:25 PM   #32
Dooyar

Quote:
Originally Posted by philstyle View Post
Wags says that a "whole earth round model" is an aspiration for DCS. Given that the Normandy map is historically bound, and would not merge well with the modern maps (NTTR, Caucasus, Gulf etc..) for geographic, aesthetic and operational reasons, does this mean, effectively that DCS will not be producing any more WW2 maps?
I would expect that everyone can see some significant issues with "flying from . . the Caucasus on to Normandy" etc in such a model . . .
Obviously this "whole earth model" is probably a number of years away (so no need to panic right now), but if that is the long-term goal for DCS, then the question of other WW2 maps appearuing for us warbird customers is possibly answered already, no?
Additionally, does this mean that other historically-basde maps (Vietnam, Korea etc..) are not on the development agenda either, as they would potentially copnflict with the "whole earth model"?
Source: https://youtu.be/HX_AezyGiF4?t=38m58s

I remember this concept from the early days of Oleg Maddox' Cliffs of Dover.
He posted a vid of a global map, zooming in on the local theatre. Very exciting stuff. Can't find the link, for some reason.
Anything is possible I suppose. Its simply a question of return on investment. Lots of money raised and then spent on development.
Witness 'Star Citizen', or better known as the 'Never Ending Story'.
How many people across the globe would spend the amount of money required to purchase a home computer capable of delivering the full experience?
Only a few. And there hangs the tale.....
Dooyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 05:31 PM   #33
Woogey

The Solution to this problem is quite simple. Add a calendar to the mission editor on the user side. On the developer side add a timestamp to all objects with an "Service Entry date" and a "Service End Date". If the object whether a building, Air, Land, or Sea asset has a service date later than the date you choose for your operation, then it will not even show up in the mission editor.

This could even be done for complete airfields. Spitfires and Mustangs Still exist in the modern world, so you could leave the Service end date open. Buildings or airfields that no longer exist, you would use the "Service End Date" to exclude them from modern maps.

-Woog
Woogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 09:39 AM   #34
David OC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooyar View Post
I remember this concept from the early days of Oleg Maddox' Cliffs of Dover.
He posted a vid of a global map, zooming in on the local theatre. Very exciting stuff. Can't find the link, for some reason.
Anything is possible I suppose. Its simply a question of return on investment. Lots of money raised and then spent on development.
Witness 'Star Citizen', or better known as the 'Never Ending Story'.
How many people across the globe would spend the amount of money required to purchase a home computer capable of delivering the full experience?
Only a few. And there hangs the tale.....
That's not entirely true potentially, with ED developing it's own engine with (Vulkan api) that could deliver the possibility of the world in the future with this level of graphics.

DirectX 11/12, OpenGL, VulkanAPI Discussion

DCS Article about Vulkan

-

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS ROG Maximus IX Hero MB | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 3466Mhz | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe
500G SSD | 2 X Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | Fractal Design R5 Case

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library. Awesome PDF guides for getting up to speed with aircraft quickly and great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing.

Last edited by David OC; 05-09-2018 at 09:42 AM.
David OC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 12:35 PM   #35
Silver_Dragon
ED Translator

Send a message via MSN to Silver_Dragon

Little detail talk by wags on a yesterday F/A-18C russian Stream. He has not the producer of WW2, has Racoon.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bJCFCRaR-I

DCS: Roadmap (unofficial):https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=116893
DCS: List of Vacant models: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=104115
21Squad DCS: World News: https://www.facebook.com/21Squad-219508958071000/
Silver_Dragon Youtube
Spanish 4Th Perrus Squadon Member: http://www.4thperrus.com
Silver_Dragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 10:46 AM   #36
Kaned Dragon

I've been hoping DCS go in the World map direction for a long time now.
I understand that it would require a ton of work and a lot of the area wouldn't get used much.

I recon they could do a half and half.
I noticed on the Caucuas map in 2.5 that if you zoom all the way out you can see they applied a sat image to the shore line of the map. When you zoom in or get close it changes to a default texture.
How about a world with some what accurate height / elevation of the land mass, but no buildings, and default textures. Like we see with the Crimean Peninsulain, compared to how it used to look. Or the south area from Batumi. It's the flat land that I would like to see go.

We've got the unit assets, so we could create a target for ourselves. If they can create a temporary landing strip which we can land and take off from which works like the FARP's, then we can at least fly over the area and not pretend the Caucasus has become some where else.

Over time, DCS could create new terrains and theaters which get overlay-ed onto the default world map. Hopefully both modern and historical.

It would be interesting if I could start at Krasnodar and fly all the way to the Persian Gulf area and do a strike and then fly back. Flying high, lot's of clouds, a basic satellite image over the land mass. Or see how long it takes me to fly from Gelendzhik to Cairn in the SU-33 or Harrier.
Kaned Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote