P-18 radar not able to detect very low flying Mirage at 35 km range?

D4n

What the title says, is P-18 so bad at detecting low flying fighter jets?

DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

Was it in single player or multiplayer?

On which map were you playing?

Was the Mirage a player or an IA?

Did the radar have line of sight?

Do you have a track or a tacview file?

How do you know the radar didn't detect the plane ? F10 map, GCI radio?

If you took a bit of time to put down all these basic informations needed to help you instead of creating 20 topics a day, people would be more inclined to reply :thumbup:

"You don't rise to the occasion, you fall to your level of preparation."

multiplayer,

caucasus,

player,

LOS only blocked by trees our buildings (radar penetrates trees in 2.5 to afaik or?)

yes F10 map, friendly was shot there

DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

At 35km the "very low" Mirage is probably below the radar horizon.

"radar horizon" ?

at 35 km this already has an effect, even when the P-18 is on a 75 meters hilltop? I don't think so.

at 35 km this already has an effect, even when the P-18 is on a 75 meters hilltop? I don't think so.

From Wikipedia:

The radar horizon for the radar at a 1-mile (1.6 km) altitude will be 102-mile (164 km) and the one at 75 feet (23 m) will be 12-mile (19 km).

Daniel, I think you need to sit down and think a little bit about the problem before posting all these threads. Most of them have pretty simple answers.

Lol Caucasus curvature is modeled, holy sh*t ok!

Wasn't the caucasus map flat in DCS ? or has this changed with 2.5 ?

1.5 I think. As I understand it the actual files for the maps it are not built on a spherical world, but the game does the math and adjusts everything as if it were. It caused a bit of a change with Naval units. Before when everything in the game was flat they could see and engage ships well over the horizon. Now they need friendly help in sending anti-ship missiles to far away targets.

• Like 1

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

ED just knows the thruth.

lol

1.5 I think. As I understand it the actual files for the maps it are not built on a spherical world, but the game does the math and adjusts everything as if it were. It caused a bit of a change with Naval units. Before when everything in the game was flat they could see and engage ships well over the horizon. Now they need friendly help in sending anti-ship missiles to far away targets.

I just remember that there was an old discussion about it, why lat/long coordinates were offset in DCS, compared to real life. The map being flat was the reason given.

So what you are saying is, that the map IS flat, but there is an artificial logic put in to treat it like a curved map

Is this the case for 2.5 as well ?

Edited by Shadow KT

'Shadow'

Everybody gotta be offended and take it personally now-a-days

LOS only blocked by trees our buildings (radar penetrates trees in 2.5 to afaik or?)

AFAIK Trees blocks the radar.

That is now what many mission designers needs to compensate, as you can't just throw a AA unit on map and expect it to see targets.

So you need to find a point where your AA unit can spot and offer cover to others.

Placing SAM like Tunguska next to treeline means that you are just cutting its spotting area to 180 degree. But you same time offer a concealment for it against RWR as air targets can fly toward and only get warning when about above such, way inside cannon range.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

So what you are saying is, that the map IS flat, but there is an artificial logic put in to treat it like curved map

That is what I would like to know as well. But I believe the map is still totally flat as engine would need to be able to draw a simulated sphere and get a water surface to curve as well for it.

A curved map would really make everything far more nicer, but at least they are now simulated (was it 1.2.18 or what brought it) by radar curvature. So a SAM on beach is not able to spot a low level flying aircrafts.

AFAIK Trees blocks the radar.

ooooh okay!

"Nur Edge" ?

"Edge" you mean this DCS engine?

I just remember that there was an old discussion about it, why lat/long coordinates were offset in DCS, compared to real life. The map being flat was the reason given.

So what you are saying is, that the map IS flat, but there is an artificial logic put in to treat it like a curved map

Hard to say for sure. On the old version of the map I exported the position of all of the bridges to a kml format that Google Earth can read. Some are really close to where it is in reality, others not as much. The thing is the error involved isn't uniform as one would expect something like that to be if it was an error generated by being offset from map origin. Most likely its just errors during the map making process. I haven't tried exporting it with the updated map, Nevada, or Normandy. I suspect Nevada may be more accurate overall since the map making process might've been more 1 to 1 with the real world as far as roads and major locations go. If you turn on satellite view in the editor and look at the edges of the map, you can easily see that the roads appear to be "traced" off of the satellite imagery. So it'd all be down to the correct positioning of map origin and code on EDs part to make sure the Lat/Long match real world with game world.

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

EDGE is capable to render what is wanted, but the question is that are maps designed to be curve or not?

3D engine capability is not same as 3D model.

--

I usually post from my phone so please excuse any typos, inappropriate punctuation and capitalization, missing words and general lack of cohesion and sense in my posts.....

Of course, but you put in question if the engine is capable of that and i answered to it

"But I believe the map is still totally flat as engine would need to be able to draw a simulated sphere and get a water surface to curve as well for it."

Heres a picture of bunch of Carl Vinsons in Open Beta Caucasus from 10, 16, 23, 30 NM away (left to right). First ship should have the bottom 10 m blocked by horizon, second ship should have bottom 44m blocked ie. probably not visible at all or only portion of mast visible and the two farthest should not be visible at all if world would be spherical.

Screen_180324_094840.thumb.png.c4fc7ad368c92348bba7085dbe8d5a00.png

DCS Finland: Suomalainen DCS yhteisö -- Finnish DCS community

--------------------------------------------------

SF Squadron