[REPORTED] IFF possible with L&S designation within NCTR range - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-16-2019, 12:45 AM   #11
Jak525

Edit -- I've just done another test with NCTR off. After ensuring I was within range for NCTR (and aspect), the moment I turned NCTR on it ident'd hostile (again, no NCTR result on SA page and had LTWS L&S designation the entire time). Track attached
Attached Files
File Type: trk LTWS NCTR off.miz.trk (137.7 KB, 4 views)
Old 04-16-2019, 12:59 AM   #12
Hornetmadd

I think ED knows about this bug, not sure, but that maybe the reason why this hasnt been tagged yet.
Old 04-16-2019, 02:00 AM   #13
Jak525

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornetmadd View Post
I think ED knows about this bug, not sure, but that maybe the reason why this hasnt been tagged yet.
Yeah re-reading the bug report I linked it actually says more of the same things I have said than I thought lol -- and that bug was marked as reported. Although, it would still be nice to see a clarification as to whether or not LTWS L&S NCTR is intentional, and it's just not showing on SA, or it's completely unintentional. I'm definitely less concerned about my own post being recognized than the bug being sorted out though haha

Last edited by Jak525; 04-16-2019 at 02:04 AM.
Old 04-16-2019, 02:36 AM   #14
Hornetmadd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jak525 View Post
Yeah re-reading the bug report I linked it actually says more of the same things I have said than I thought lol -- and that bug was marked as reported. Although, it would still be nice to see a clarification as to whether or not LTWS L&S NCTR is intentional, and it's just not showing on SA, or it's completely unintentional. I'm definitely less concerned about my own post being recognized than the bug being sorted out though haha
Yes your're right, we still dont know if the bug is the lack of nctr print on sa page during that situation or the fact that the l&s provides nctr.
Old 04-16-2019, 06:34 AM   #15
Harker

Yes, it's one of the two.
Either NCTR is indeed possible through L&S but the SA page doesn't show the NCTR result,
or
NCTR requires STT right now and the L&S designation is erroneously taken as enough to IFF through NCTR.
Which raises the questions:
*If NCTR is possible through on the L&S, why not the DT2?
*Unless I'm mistaken, LTWS is simply a mode that allows the pilot to view trackfile information that is already present and simply not visible on the bricks.
*So, does marking a contact as L&S change the radar wave in any way, for that particular contact, so as to enable an NCTR print?
*If so, what's the difference in radar wave characteristics between L&S and DT2?
*On the other hand, if LTWS indeed does not involve any wave differences between bricks and marked contacts, shouldn't all contacts be NCTR'd by the RWS sweep anyway (no they shouldn't, but I'm just pointing the logic)

Unless I'm mistaken regarding the LTWS simply showing existing information, which makes the above points irrelevant.
Z370 Aorus Gaming 7, i7-8700k @4.9GHz, EVGA GTX1080Ti KINGPIN, Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4 @3000CL15, Samsung 960 Pro, 970 Evo Plus, WD Gold 6TB, Seasonic Prime Platinum 1300W, Acer Predator XB271HK|TM Warthog w/extension, TM TPR pedals, 3 TM Cougar MFDs, MT desk mounts, TrackIR w/Pro clip, Win10 x64 Home|
F/A-18C, F-14, AV8B, A-10C, M2000C, P-51D, Sptifire, BS2, FC3, Caucasus, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf
Old 04-16-2019, 07:56 AM   #16
GrEaSeLiTeNiN

Does NCTR printing affect and change HAFU symbols or is it an independent and alternate type of IFF assessment (with the results - plane's type - being shown on the SA page)? I thought only Mode 4 (SSS depress) is what changes HAFU symbols, apart from donors. Still learning!

Also, I noticed once a target is NCTR printed, the SA page never forgets the target's ID. Regardless of my position with that target and even with NCTR turned off, if I bring the cursor over that target again in SA, the target's ID will always show up. I suppose this is correct?
Old 04-16-2019, 08:37 AM   #17
Jak525

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrEaSeLiTeNiN View Post
Does NCTR printing affect and change HAFU symbols or is it an independent and alternate type of IFF assessment (with the results - plane's type - being shown on the SA page)? I thought only Mode 4 (SSS depress) is what changes HAFU symbols, apart from donors. Still learning!

Also, I noticed once a target is NCTR printed, the SA page never forgets the target's ID. Regardless of my position with that target and even with NCTR turned off, if I bring the cursor over that target again in SA, the target's ID will always show up. I suppose this is correct?
It does indeed. You need a) Mode 4 + NCTR or b) Mode 4 + SURV or F/F donor. And yes, this is correct, the airplane stores trackfile information about the contact.
Old 04-16-2019, 08:56 AM   #18
GrEaSeLiTeNiN

I might be confusing terms/concepts here but:

When IFF is ON in the UFC, what does it mean/do exactly? I know NCTR won't work automatically unless it is ON in RDR but SSS depress will work.

I understand Mode 4 as a "standard of interrogation" using radio signals. But what does Mode 4 mean in terms of what the pilot has to do? Does "get a Mode 4 on the target" mean the pilot performs an SSS depress over the target in the RDR page to get an updated HAFU reading?

Thanks!
Old 04-16-2019, 09:12 AM   #19
Jak525

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrEaSeLiTeNiN View Post
I might be confusing terms/concepts here but:

When IFF is ON in the UFC, what does it mean/do exactly? I know NCTR won't work automatically unless it is ON in RDR but SSS depress will work.

I understand Mode 4 as a "standard of interrogation" using radio signals. But what does Mode 4 mean in terms of what the pilot has to do? Does "get a Mode 4 on the target" mean the pilot performs an SSS depress over the target in the RDR page to get an updated HAFU reading?

Thanks!
IFF on has to do with the IFF transponder in the plane. It turns that on.

Yes, it means SCS depress over the target on the RDRA TTK / SA format.
Closed Thread

Tags
iff bug, ltws, nctr, radar bug, sa page