F-14 Tomcat Sound Mod

Mrjollyroger103

Calling all Modders....

Its been brought to my attention that the sound for the tomcat wont sound like one at all. This is coming from a Youtuber that got an early access to the might cat and said this when I made a comment about the outside sounds.

"Unfortunately it's very difficult to source and license sound effects for an aircraft like the Tomcat, modder's have a little more freedom to use anything as there's no money involved :)"

For a jet that is so widely known and one that has a sound like no other, I am curious if someone is going to work on this or has realized that the sounds are way off on the external, especially at a idle.

I like how it’s not even released yet and you want a mod for it... y’all are crazy haha.

Jokes aside I’ll see how close it actually comes to it - I overhauled a Cat for ArmA 3, so a lot of my samples should already be pretty close to finished. We’ll see how good she actually sounds! Cobra from HB on Reddit mentioned the limitations they had, and will be tweaking audio as they go.

- - - - - - - -

Tyler "Shadow"

All things sound @ Echo 19 Audio

linktr.ee/echo19audio

Calling all Modders....

Its been brought to my attention that the sound for the tomcat wont sound like one at all. This is coming from a Youtuber that got an early access to the might cat and said this when I made a comment about the outside sounds.

"Unfortunately it's very difficult to source and license sound effects for an aircraft like the Tomcat, modder's have a little more freedom to use anything as there's no money involved :)"

For a jet that is so widely known and one that has a sound like no other, I am curious if someone is going to work on this or has realized that the sounds are way off on the external, especially at a idle.

I read those comments and I did not get the impression that he was agreeing with you at all. All he did was mention the difficulties about getting sounds for an aircraft like the Tomcat and a fact about modders have the freedom to create mods.

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

Calling all Modders....

Hahaha what youtuber?

From what I've heard on Youtube so far the Tomcat sound is great in general but there are a couple minor things that annoy me.

For example when the canopy gets shut, it sounds like you're slamming your kitchen's door or something...

Also when you light up the afterburner, you get a roar inside the cockpit (just like in the Viggen by the way) and this is a sound you should be getting only when hearing the plane from the outside, not from the inside.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

From what I've heard on Youtube so far the Tomcat sound is great in general but there are a couple minor things that annoy me.

For example when the canopy gets shut, it sounds like you're slamming your kitchen's door or something...

Also when you light up the afterburner, you get a roar inside the cockpit (just like in the Viggen by the way) and this is a sound you should be getting only when hearing the plane from the outside, not from the inside.

... i´m an engine mechanic (former Mig-29 and now Typhoon) and did/do a lot engine runs - you hear the afterburner in the Cockpit! for sure the difference outside of the Cockpit is much much louder from max dry to reheat but you can hear it and also the pilot can hear it when flying - its not that much louder, you´re right, but the Tomcats AB inside the cockpit is, in my opinion, well done !

Edited by hocician

To be completely honest; the sound on the F-14 is good, but not good enough for me. I dug around SDEF files and most of the exterior samples' files make no sense. For instance; a typical inner/outer radius on other modules is around 400(m) and 1600 respectively. However, for most of the external samples - these values are in the thousands. I've only just begun digging into the sound on the cat, and it's not structured as nicely as the Hornet is, unfortunately - which means getting this thing to sound more accurate is going to be a relatively difficult task to accomplish with what we have available to us.

Regardless; HB did a great job with the resources they have available to them - so props for that! Looking forward to what lies ahead, both for the Cat and beyond.

- - - - - - - -

Tyler "Shadow"

All things sound @ Echo 19 Audio

linktr.ee/echo19audio

I think they nailed the inside sounds for sure but the outside ones are def lacking.

Here is the start up sounds of a GE F-110 on a F-16, they had the same engines and the tomcats sounded exactly like this when starting up and also at idle.

Here is the tomcat actually starting up as a comparison. If you compare this to the Heatblur outside sounds, it sounds nothing like this at all. Like I said i think they have done a great job with things and I think we all can agree we just wanna make it even better! =)

there is nothing wrong with the sound - trust me

I've learned that when someone says "trust me"...

I think they nailed the inside sounds for sure but the outside ones are def lacking.

By HB's own admission they intentionally did not nail the inside sounds. They took some artistic license to make the switches, dials , buttons, and slidey bits much louder than they would be irl. IIRC their reason was to compensate with audio for the lack of feedback from not having your butt in the real seat.

Electronics cooling fans, the Environmental Control System, various canopy and airframe wind noises...that's what you hear in tactical aircraft cockpits I've sat in. Switches and buttons are not totally drowned out but very much in the background. ED's Hornet actually gets very close to what it sounds like irl. I came here specifically looking for a mod to tone down all the clickety-clack business in the Tomcat.

Edited by SonofEil

i7 7700K @5.0, 1080Ti, 32GB DDR4, HMD Odyssey, TM WH, Crosswind Rudder...

I just feel a need to chime in and provide my 1/3 of a cents worth. I LOVE being able to hear the burner, because I don't have a way to physically feel the extra thrust, we need some kind of cue! And it sounds mean.

Sorry, no cool signature here.

The only thing I found somewhat weird is that with engines off your don't hear absolutely no air sound, actually, you hear absolutely nothing at all (I may or may not have gotten a little too excited on my first flight and forgot my burners on the whole flight till I ran her out of fuel at 40k feet at Mach 2 :p ).

Edited by ShalashakaDS

Wow , thats pretty awful , she sounds like shes doing 350 knots while taxing to the runway and then when in the air the sound saturates the whole dcs environment for miles around so that its hard to hear other aircraft , for an expensive purchase that is soposed to be all singing and dancing from the get go this is a very poor effort.

Cheers

Jafa

[sIGPIC]picture.php?albumid=1526&pictureid=9861[/sIGPIC]

My only gripes with the Tomcat's sounds so far are the way that any Tomcat on the field with its engines running is absolutely deafening to everyone else, and the inability (at least that I have found) to be able to lower the sound of the ECS. Having never flown a Tomcat I can not vouch for any authenticity of the sounds but I would think I would be able to turn down the air conditioning to a quieter level.

i7-7700K @ 5.2Ghz

SLI 1080Ti

64GB GSkill Trident Z RGB 4133

Asus Maximus IX Extreme

Custom Water Cooling Loop

TM Warthog/ MFG Crosswind

I agree. The idle sounds outside and behind the aircraft give one the impression that the engines are in cruise. And it is much too loud to boot. This is the same, although at different volume levels, for the other aircraft as well. No aircraft sounds like this IRL while taxiing. ED needs to update the sound engine completely for this game, as this has been a limitation of the current sound engine for quite some time.

Bananimal's DCS Mods and Skins