DCS Vietnam by Leatherneck Sims?

The_Pharoah

Thumbs up for Vietnam. But recently discovered, ED buys complete 3D models and computes animations and flight physics on brought models. That's been done by them.

Nice piece of news man. Where did you read that. Any chance they bought the 21 for further improvments?

• 3 months later...

Could there be options to disable certain aircraft features for mission makers to emulate a particular era? Ie. no RWR for your Mig-21s today.

I think we already have this for loadouts since quite a few are banned on given multiplayer servers.

SA-342 Ka-50 Mi-8 AJS-37 F-18 M2000C AV-8B-N/A Mig-15bis CA --- How to learn DCS

• 7 months later...

Honestly I've thought this could be a contender for the possible candidates for the "new free map" from ED. It was a theatre in WW2 for a hot minute, it was relevant in the 50's and 60's, and you could conjure up hypothetical scenarios today. If you mainly model the coastal areas I "think" the map area could be reasonable for N. Vietnam at least.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Could there be options to disable certain aircraft features for mission makers to emulate a particular era? Ie. no RWR for your Mig-21s today.

I think we already have this for loadouts since quite a few are banned on given multiplayer servers.

I've asked for this specific feature in the wishlist, no real reply on if they would do it.

The mig21 is bad example for this, because the bis model is rather different aerodynamically and it has a bigger/heavier engine than the preceding migs as well as different avionics.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

• ED Team

TBH I'd rather see Central Europe (East and West Germany, Czechoslovakia and Poland) instead of Vietnam. I'm pretty sure the only Vietnam era aircraft we have are MiG-19 and F-5E, though I'm not sure if the variant of F-5E we have is the one flown by South Vietnam. The MiG-21bis has not been used in Vietnam War.

On the other hand Central Europe is where a lot of VVS squadrons were stationed and where hundreds of MiG-21bis izd. 75B would be found by extension. Add a bit of Sweden and we could also have realistic scenarios for the Viggen. It's also where the heaviest fighting would take place in a Red Storm Rising like scenario - which is the most interesting one for this period and the best material for campaign building as well as for realistic, weapons-red cold war scenarios.

TBH I'd rather see Central Europe (East and West Germany, Czechoslovakia and Poland) instead of Vietnam. I'm pretty sure the only Vietnam era aircraft we have are MiG-19 and F-5E, though I'm not sure if the variant of F-5E we have is the one flown by South Vietnam. The MiG-21bis has not been used in Vietnam War.

On the other hand Central Europe is where a lot of VVS squadrons were stationed and where hundreds of MiG-21bis izd. 75B would be found by extension. Add a bit of Sweden and we could also have realistic scenarios for the Viggen. It's also where the heaviest fighting would take place in a Red Storm Rising like scenario - which is the most interesting one for this period and the best material for campaign building as well as for realistic, weapons-red cold war scenarios.

While I agree with you and would love to see a central europe map. The problem with central europe is that DCS map technology can't do it. If you notice the size of the maps they all contain huge amounts of water. Water is very easy to model. Alot of people have actually proposed a baltic map. Since it would also be mostly water. The other issue with anything "cold war going hot" is that there would be a stupid amount of units involved, which again DCS can't really do.

A few other points.

South Vietnam never flew the F5E, they had the A (no radar). And it was developed after the VN war (just like the mig21bis).

The viggen we have is not the Cold war version. Rather a mid/late 90's version. So too modern for the cold war.

If South Vietnam never had the F-5E, how did the Soviet Union get one from Vietnam after the South lost to the North?

Check out this model which includes history information: https://armchairaviator.com.au/shop/hobby-master-ha3327-f-5e-tiger-ii-vpaf/

Their is infact a video of the Russians testing a captured F-5E against a Mig-21, The F-5E won the fight every single time. It's a shame it wasn't adapted as a dogfighter like the F-4

Here's the link...... https://theaviationist.com/2017/06/14/russian-video-of-captured-u-s-f-5a-tiger-jet-dogfighting-against-mig-21-in-tests-raises-question-do-they-still-operate-american-jets/

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Planes: FC3, P-51, F-86, F-5E, Mirage 2000, F/A-18, F-14, F-16, Mig-19P :joystick:

ED pls gib A-4 and F-4 :cry:

This, so much. The F-5E we have, however, was not exported to South Vietnam

A few other points.

South Vietnam never flew the F5E, they had the A (no radar). And it was developed after the VN war (just like the mig21bis).

The viggen we have is not the Cold war version. Rather a mid/late 90's version. So too modern for the cold war.

AKSHULLY

http://www.the-northrop-f-5-enthusiast-page.info/AirForces/VietnamSouthAF.html

http://www.the-northrop-f-5-enthusiast-page.info/Serials/VietnamSouthF-5E.html <- Aircraft serials.

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!

Their is infact a video of the Russians testing a captured F-5E against a Mig-21, The F-5E won the fight every single time. It's a shame it wasn't adapted as a dogfighter like the F-4

Oh but it is

We are Virtual Pilots, a growing International Squad of pilots, we fly Allies in WWII and Red Force in Korea and Modern combat. We are recruiting like minded people of all Nationalities and skill levels.

http://virtual-pilots.com/

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

This, so much. The F-5E we have, however, was not exported to South Vietnam

AKSHULLY

http://www.the-northrop-f-5-enthusiast-page.info/AirForces/VietnamSouthAF.html

http://www.the-northrop-f-5-enthusiast-page.info/Serials/VietnamSouthF-5E.html <- Aircraft serials.

I stand corrected. Looks like they got 20 some right before the end. But it doesn't sound like they were used much in combat.

The Viggen we have can pass as cold war, the plane and avionics are the same, only the weapons were improved.. or Am I wrong?

The Ternav was a mid 90's avionics upgrade. A rather significant one for all weapons delivery/navigation calcs. Other than that the BK90, the RB15, And maybe the later RB24J were 90's upgrades. So I'd say it "sorta" fits, but purists will point out that the INS system is rather important.

• 1 month later...
We do not need again a new map, but a functional, mature Mig. Not always something new, it just annoying!

A fully functional mature MiG would be something new! The MiG-21 is one of my all-time favorite aircraft and this implementation is already the best that I have ever flown on a PC simulation. But it has several obvious flaws. In terms of flight model and systems functionality, I almost like the original release more than later versions. For me, most of the remaining flaws are centered on the gunsight functionality. The patches have sometimes changed the behavior, but never get it right, usually fix or improve one thing but break another. Having a canopy that matches museum examples that have been sitting out in the weather for decades absolutely sucks. Surely, MiG-21bis aircraft flying from the early 1970s to the mid 1980s didn't have severely dirty canopies with sloppy gummed up periscope seals.

As a MiG-21 fan, I would love to see as many versions as possible: MiG-21F-13, MiG-21PF, MiG-21PFMA, MiG-21MF, etc. Each one has unique characteristics as the availability of guns, missiles, gunsight/avionics, fuel, weight, engine power, flaps, canopy, tail/rudder etc. vary over time. Winning a dogfight in an early MiG-21 that has no gun and only two early AA-2/K-13 Atoll missiles with limited visibility out of the cockpit is probably harder than winning with early F-4 variants. The MiG-21bis has all the power, but isn't nearly as agile as early variants, particularly the MiG-21F, which is really an agile day fighter compared to the competition with only range-only radar, but has a gun and a decent view from the cockpit.

Edited by streakeagle

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]