AV-8B Harrier Thread

Angelthunder

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice to see the liftoff went as smooth as it did. I was wondering how difficult that was going to be.

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

Yeah that was a pretty steady take off. It seems we will be able to use one throttle on the warthog for nozzle control and the second for throttle thrust. Or maybe people will figure out how to set up a nice profile.

I was impressed with how slow and smooth it was traveling.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

Just bought the Harrier. I don't have time to read all the forum notes and Google has nothing on it: when is it scheduled to be released? I heard somewhere, end of November.

The Hornet is best at killing things on the ground. Now, if we could just get a GAU-8 in the nose next to the AN/APG-65, a titanium tub around the pilot, and a couple of J-58 engines in the tail...

I couldn't help but think, he must not fly helicopters?

From my understanding, heli experience is of limited value, perhaps even counter productive. There appears to be a few gotchas that helis don't suffer from (or at least less than the harrier). Insufficient power for hovering is uncommon for a heli but not for a harrier. Helicopters can fly sideways but IIRC this is dangerous in the harrier; I seem to remember there are control authority issues in some circumstances too.

Basically the harrier is not as forgiving so be careful!

The end of November is true, an exact date has not been announced.

Thanks.

Are we there yet?:)

The Hornet is best at killing things on the ground. Now, if we could just get a GAU-8 in the nose next to the AN/APG-65, a titanium tub around the pilot, and a couple of J-58 engines in the tail...

From my understanding, heli experience is of limited value, perhaps even counter productive. There appears to be a few gotchas that helis don't suffer from (or at least less than the harrier). Insufficient power for hovering is uncommon for a heli but not for a harrier. Helicopters can fly sideways but IIRC this is dangerous in the harrier; I seem to remember there are control authority issues in some circumstances too.

If I wanted something easy to fly, I'd fold myself another paper airplane. I've seen the "Jump Jets" as we called them, fly years ago and KNEW they'd be difficult to control. What I still can't understand (from what little I've read) is how they can turn in a hover. But having this in my hangar is going to be great.

Edit: even paper airplanes have some control issues.

I don't know how marines pilots are train, but RAF pilot had to take a six hours flight training in chopper before transitioning to the harrier. At least in the beginning.

Thanks.

Are we there yet?:)

End of November means that the only possible date is Friday 24'rth. Following week is December already and the previous one is 17'th which is middle of the month.

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

Originally they sourced Harrier pilots from existing Helo pilots, but found they could not reconcile the fast jet portion of the envelope. Certainly in the RAF/RN Harrier pilots they are fast jet pilots just with some helo experience, rather than the inverse of helo pilot with some fast jet experience

"If the MWS didn't see it, it didn't happen"

What I still can't understand (from what little I've read) is how they can turn in a hover.

Same way as spaceships, with RCS nozzles:

Figs_16_Final_reaction_control_system.jpg

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Same way as spaceships, with RCS nozzles:

Figs_16_Final_reaction_control_system.jpg

But none of what your showing could create direction change. Unless those nozzles can be vectors as well

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

i7 4770k @ 4.5, asus z-87 pro, strix GTX 980ti directcu3oc, 32gb Kingston hyperX 2133, philips 40" 4k monitor, hotas cougar\warthog, track ir 5, Oculus Rift

Ok I see now the tail has left right thrust...sorry

i7 4770k @ 4.5, asus z-87 pro, strix GTX 980ti directcu3oc, 32gb Kingston hyperX 2133, philips 40" 4k monitor, hotas cougar\warthog, track ir 5, Oculus Rift

This thing is going to be great!

Anyone know anything about the Moving Map? Can't find it even mentioned in the handbook or any of the screenshots/videos released.

9./JG27

"If you can't hit anything, it's because you suck. If you get shot down, it's because you suck. You and me, we know we suck, and that makes it ok." - Worst person in all of DCS

"In the end, which will never come, we will all be satisifed... we must fight them on forum, we will fight them on reddit..." - Dunravin