Taming the spitfire with pedals

I have managed to takeoff reasonably often without dying (in full simulation, no assist) using the joystick twist on my x55 for rudder control, but they are pretty ugly takeoffs no matter how much I pulse the rudder inputs and adjust the rudder control curves

Has anyone managed to use the same sort of rudder control (joystick twist) to achieve graceful takeoffs or is it just impossible to do it well without pedals?

Why could they not have increased the toe-in on the undercarriage :)

Has anyone managed to use the same sort of rudder control (joystick twist) to achieve graceful takeoffs or is it just impossible to do it well without pedals?

Like bbrz said, it is next to impossible to land/take off without pedals.

However, I wouldn't say it was necessary to spend a lot. I have been using the Thrustmaster TFRP T-Flight pedals perfectly well on the Spit (and all other modules). They cost around £80 on Amazon UK.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

I have a X52 pro without pedals and curves and I've managed to achieve quite a lot of nice take-offs and landings, mixed with some "meh" ones and ugly ones. Most of them were nice though.

All you need is practice and then, nothing is impossible.

There is no reason at all why you can't do decent TO/landings with a twist stick. I did all my initial training using the X-52, until I could do it consistently, which took a lot of practice. The first 3 successful landings, I posted on this forum. When I bought pedals, the big difference was the sheer satisfaction of doing the same thing in a realistic manner.

Stick, Trackir, pedals.

Edited by Holbeach
Grammar.

I7 2600K @ 3.8, CoolerMaster 212X, EVGA GTX 1070 8gb. RAM 16gb Corsair, 1kw PSU. 2 x WD SSD. 1 x Samsung M2 NVMe. 3 x HDD. Saitek X-52. Saitek Pro Flight pedals. CH Flight Sim yoke. TrackIR 5. Win 10 Pro. IIyama 1080p. MSAA x 2, SSAA x 1.5. Settings High. Harrier/Spitfire/Beaufighter/The Channel, fanboy..

I would highly suggest MFG crosswind pedals. If you are saving for pedals that is.

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

I've used the T16000M twist grip for years but even the high precision/resolution wasn't enough as I found out.

You was deceived, that 65.535 "HEART" precision is only in T.16000M X and Y axes, twist (rudder) and throttle are only 8/10 bits using cheap potentiometer. :D

Because my playing space is limited (live in a caravan) I decided pedals were not practical. So I spent the whole afternoon practising, and after dozens of takeoffs I am happy I have takeoffs to an acceptable level. Not perfectly smooth, but not too bad.

Now all I have to do is get the landing correct :)

I would highly suggest MFG crosswind pedals. If you are saving for pedals that is.
Could you please explain to me the relationship between the brakes on the spitfire and the tail wheel. Exactly how do they interact in regards to directional travel, since the spitfire does not have differential braking? It seems to me that rudder would be the solution, I understand their may not be enough rudder authority initially but at what speed does the rudder become useful? I'm not a engineer or pilot but they must of had a lot of take-off mishaps due to control issue during WWII. This plane is too too sensitive to directional control on the ground, the wing will dip even when moving at a very slow rate of speed. The free casting tail-wheel is to free. TC

Win 10 Pro 64bit | Half X F/T Case | Corsair 1200AT ps | Asus ROG Maximums XIII Extreme | I9 11900K Clocked@4200 | Nepton 240 W/C | 64GB DDR4-3600 Gskill Mem | Asus 3080 gpu/8gb | SB-Z audio | Asus 32" 1440 Monitor | Winwing Super Tauras/Super Libra | Crosswind R/P | Track-ir-5 |

Unless I have it wrong the Spitfire does have differential braking but it's activated by a combo of rudder position and brake lever on the stick

Rudder position controls the magnitude of the differential, in other words if you have full left rudder for example then all brake force will be routed to the left gear wheel only. If you have the rudder somewhere in between then the braking applied to each wheel is proportional to the rudder position.

The lever controls the amount of overall brake force applied.

That's how I think it works and is similar to Russian aircraft in its implementation.

Unless I have it wrong the Spitfire does have differential braking but it's activated by a combo of rudder position and brake lever on the stick

Rudder position controls the magnitude of the differential, in other words if you have full left rudder for example then all brake force will be routed to the left gear wheel only. If you have the rudder somewhere in between then the braking applied to each wheel is proportional to the rudder position.

That's how I think it works and is similar to Russian aircraft in its implementation.

If that's so then explain to me how you are able to correct a wing drag if one wheel is off the ground, if there is not enough airflow to effect the rudder then how is there enough to effect the ailerons. Maybe I'm thinking to hard but I'm just trying to understand how this works so as to help me understand how to operate this plane.. Thanks for your response. TC

Win 10 Pro 64bit | Half X F/T Case | Corsair 1200AT ps | Asus ROG Maximums XIII Extreme | I9 11900K Clocked@4200 | Nepton 240 W/C | 64GB DDR4-3600 Gskill Mem | Asus 3080 gpu/8gb | SB-Z audio | Asus 32" 1440 Monitor | Winwing Super Tauras/Super Libra | Crosswind R/P | Track-ir-5 |

The plane dips a wing only if it yaws too much, just like remainig DCS warbirds, the only difference is the narrow gear making the margin of error much narrower (though with vastly superior rudder authority it's still easier to keep in line than 109 with unlocked tailwheel, and sometimes with locked one too).

Indeed, If the speed is not enough for sufficient airflow on the rudder, it's not enough for ailerons either. If controls can't help, you can try to catch and straighten the dip using differential brakes. Left dip is a result of plane groundlooping to the right - apply the left brake then, it will "pull" the plane back to the left. Conversely, right dip is a result of left yaw - apply right brake to pull back to the right. You do it intuitively anyway, as these are directions you've already pushed the rudder to save the plane.

• Like 1

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

The plane dips a wing only if it yaws too much, just like remainig DCS warbirds, the only difference is the narrow gear making the margin of error much narrower (though with vastly superior rudder authority it's still easier to keep in line than 109 with unlocked tailwheel, and sometimes with locked one too).

Indeed, If the speed is not enough for sufficient airflow on the rudder, it's not enough for ailerons either. If controls can't help, you can try to catch and straighten the dip using differential brakes. Left dip is a result of plane groundlooping to the right - apply the left brake then, it will "pull" the plane back to the left. Conversely, right dip is a result of left yaw - apply right brake to pull back to the right. You do it intuitively anyway, as these are directions you've already pushed the rudder to save the plane.

What I would like to know, how can left braking do anything if the left wheel is completely off the ground? TC

What I would like to know, how can left braking do anything if the left wheel is completely off the ground? TC

What Art-J is saying, TC, is that when your right wing has dropped and your left wheel is off the ground, you need to apply right rudder and brake, to bring things back to an even keel. Try it, it works, just don't overdo it.

• 4 months later...
Buzzles....From my limited experience on the IX I found that take-off and landing is possible without rudder pedals, but ground handling and taxi-ing is impossible without them. I have ordered mine.

What?!? No pedals on landing/takeoff? I’d love to see that!

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Sorry....I mean actual pedals. I have rudder bound to two buttons on the stick. Thats ok for takeoff, flight and landing. But they are useless while taxy-ing. You cannot taxy without pedals.

Phew, that's a relief! Now I understand. I don't feel so inadequate now!

• ED Team

I struggled with the rudder on the spitfire for a while, I found using toe brakes very difficult, but after I made a custom brake lever on my hotas and stopped using toe brakes on my pedals things became easier.

Edited by BIGNEWY

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

I struggled with the rudder on the spitfire for a while, I found using toe breaks very difficult, but after I made a custom brake lever on my hotas and stopped using toe brakes on my pedals things became easier.

Yes, I agree. I've always used the NWS button on the Warthog HOTAS for brakes on the Spit.

I struggled with the rudder on the spitfire for a while, I found using toe breaks very difficult, but after I made a custom brake lever on my hotas and stopped using toe brakes on my pedals things became easier.

This ^^

The Spitfire does not have toe brakes, so binding the spit brakes to rudder pedals will mean you are doing something that makes no sense, ergonomoically, for the aircraft.

A lever/ paddle mimics the actual control setup much more closely, and will feel more natural.

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/philstylenz

Storm of War WW2 server website: https://stormofwar.net/

In the Russian planes what the 'differential valve' (pic 3 and 5) linked to rudder bar do is vent for atmosphere the air pressure in the wheel that will be not braked anymore, so the brake force there is ALL (valve closed) or NOTHING (valve open).

The 'differential valve' don't determine the amount of pressure that goes for this wheel.

The pressure in the other wheel remain the same determined by brake lever (in control column), without influence of rudder bar position.

Rudder bar just open of close the vent valve for one wheel at time.

Yak-1_brakes2123.jpg

No clue how the valve linked to Spitfire rudder bar work. But the "hisss" sound suggest the same operation. :)

Spitfire_brakes.jpg

Edited by Sokol1_br

Sokol1_br...excellent research and good info. I would like to go back to 1936 to Vickers Supermarine and tell them : "Please don't go with rudder and "stick handle" braking. Talk to North American first and you will save simulator operators in the future a lot of blood sweat and tears!" TF 51 is a "gentleman" on the deck.