Open Beta vs Stable version?

Beta ...... but it is very unstable

wow. i wasn't aware of that, as i don't play public (!) mp.

i feel that there is something wrong with the concept of a beta branch, when most servers actually run beta instead of stable.

i always find it surprising when veteran players recommend newcomers to install the beta, as if it was the obvious version to pick.

sometimes, i even feel as if ED wants the beta to be seen as the default version, because of how they handle module launches, early access and general communication concerning releases.

also since the release of 2.5 the stable branch is lacking important updates, which results in heaving a stable version that is lacking (night lighting most importantly) and a beta version, which is "unstable".

i really wish ED would focus on the stable version to be the definite dcs version with the open beta being, what the name implies: a development branch for those who don't mind problems and want to aid in bugfixing etc.

Most people play on the beta in MP. Well, at least the most important servers run on the beta (104th, Blue Flag, ...).

The reason for that is, that the beta is more up to date and contains fixes/improvements that the stable doesn't have.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Most people play on the beta in MP. Well, at least the most important servers run on the beta (104th, Blue Flag, ...).

The reason for that is, that the beta is more up to date and contains fixes/improvements that the stable doesn't have.

and did it occur to noone, that this is not an ideal situation?

it is to be expected that the beta has more features and potential improvments, but when it comes to bug fixes and essential features (f.e. every minor improvment to 2.5 night lighting), these should drip down to stable as fast as possible, otherwise the beta will become the definite version, with ED risking their reputation to deliver a bug-free feature complete software.

which they did indeed deliver on the stable branch prior to 2.5 (1.4x, 1.5x). since 2.5 maybe not that much anymore. here's hoping that stable will rise again with 2.5.2...

Edited by twistking

and did it occur to noone, that this is not an ideal situation?

it is to be expected that the beta has more features and potential improvments, but when it comes to bug fixes and essential features (f.e. every minor improvment to 2.5 night lighting), these should drip down to stable as fast as possible, otherwise the beta will become the definite version, with ED risking their reputation to deliver a bug-free feature complete software.

which they did indeed deliver on the stable branch prior to 2.5 (1.4x, 1.5x). since 2.5 maybe not that much anymore. here's hoping that stable will rise again with 2.5.2...

I totaly agree with you that its a problem that the MP population is devided on 2 separate builds.

They really need to adress this somehow. Not sure how thou..

Cause its always more fun if there are alot of people playing on the servers..

2.5 beta is working quite well with much improved night time graphics. Not seeing any glitches. Really enjoying the Persian Gulf. Looking forward to the F-18 coming out this week!

Our group doesn't use BETA because the MP for us is so unstable. We tried a few times and had so many issues we set a policy of staying with the Stable version which is not ideal but better than having connection issues, freezing and boots in the middle of missions.