Damage model?

Urg!!! I can't take this anymore. What's the freakin hold up with the new Damage model? It's insane! One bullet to a B17 and he goes down. One bullet to a P51 his govern blows. One or two bullets to a Spit and the wing comes off. 200 bullets to a K4 and he'll billow black and white smoke remain full combat effective have a mid air with your plane and still circle around to land. It's absolutely insane! How does one miss this? Good lord If his engine is smoking then his engine should burn up! Period!!! Make the spit engine smoke and you get about 20sec and boom it stops! Urg!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Edited by BIGNEWY
TITLE more descriptive
  • Like 1

• ED Team

This is not going to happen over night, it is a massive amount of work.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Damage model?

Yea I know it's a WIP it's just very frustrating! I'm trying to enjoy the sim but those are big things that are missing. It's really killing the immersion factor for me. I really do hope the new DM is worth the wait!

Edited by Campbell

Yea I know it's a WIP it's just very frustrating! I'm trying to enjoy the sim but those are big things that are missing. It's really killing the emersion factor for me. I really do hope the new DM is worth the wait!

Couldn’t agree more. It’s difficult to understand how the current DM has been tolerated for so long! WIP, yes, but how long?

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

What?? All of us are waiting for things that take ages to be implemented, thats the way DCS works. It is no news that we have to wait years for a new thing to be coded.

No need to be frustrated just now, we know how DCS is. :)

Edited by JohnnyQ
typing error

Intel Core i5-8600k + Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | Gigabyte GTX 1070 Aorus 8G | 32GB DDR4 Corsair Vengance LPX Black 3200MHz | Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 3 | WD Black SN750 NVMe 500GB | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Green 240GB | WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA 3 | WD Caviar Blue 500GB SATA 3 | EVGA 650 GQ 80+ Gold | Samsung CF391 Curved 32" | Corsair 400C | Steelseries Arctis 5 --- Razer Kraken X Lite | Logitech G305 | Redragon Dyaus 2 K509 | Xbox 360 | Saitek X-52 Pro | Thrustmaster TWCS | TrackIR 5

Couldn’t agree more. It’s difficult to understand how the current DM has been tolerated for so long! WIP, yes, but how long?

I think ED said that the DM had to come out after the Normandy map for some reason, and that all planes would receive the rework at once. So, it appears they have a lot to chew on.

I'm hoping the promised lighter P-51, with better fuel, is included in this.

Dogs of War Squadron

Call sign "HeadHunter" P-51D /Spitfire Jockey

Gigabyte EP45T-UD3LR /Q9650 3.6Ghz | 16GB DDR3 1600 RipJaws | EVGA GTX-1060 ACX3 FTW | ThrustMaster 16000m & G13 GamePad w/analog rudder stick | TurtleBeach EarForce PX22 | Track IR5 | Vizio 40" 4K TV monitor (stuck temporarily with an Acer 22" :( )

I think ED said that the DM had to come out after the Normandy map for some reason, and that all planes would receive the rework at once. So, it appears they have a lot to chew on.

I'm hoping the promised lighter P-51, with better fuel, is included in this.

Agreed! An update to the P51 would be awesome. I will let ED slide on the current P51 because it came first and was way before the WW2 concept. Hopefully they will make it into a real P51!

Don't get your hopes up too soon. ED have a lot on their plate. One other thing to consider, the new damage model will apply equally to all planes. So the 109K and the Dora will become even more deadly with their nose mounted armament.

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

why is that actually, just curious!

The reason why the 109 and the Dora are so deadly at the moment, apart from their HE cannon armament, is because their weapons are centrally placed. There is no gun convergence like for wing placed armament, which means that they are deadly at pretty much every range, as long as the pilot has good gunnery skills and accounts for shell drop, he can hit targets accurately at short and long ranges.

When the new damage model gets implemented, the .50 cal machine guns will become more powerful, however the Axis weapons with their superior rate of fire and accuracy will become even more deadly.

All Im saying is that it will even out in the end. I don't want to make generalizations but we will still get cases where planes will kill each other with one shot. The cases of planes surviving a lot of damage will probably decrease.

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

Going back to the OP .... I can but only agree with the points made in it.

ED, this is a critically important topic for many in the community.

It clearly effects all air frames and the experience lacks significantly in a WW2 Warbird environment as a result.

In fairness, perhaps on a DF environment, it may be less critical ... but take a "Storm of War' esque scenario or a similar campaign settings and it's a bigger deal.

That the specific air frame happens to be 109 that billows smoke yet continues to fly perfectly is irrelevant.

That the human pilot continues to fly and stay in the fight even after being badly hit is even not the critical point. (albeit, surely, if badly hit and on fire, his time would be limited)

It's the variability in the effect of damage from air frame to air frame that is the focus here and it's good to learn that this is a WIP project.

I am looking forward to learning more.

The reason why the 109 and the Dora are so deadly at the moment, apart from their HE cannon armament, is because their weapons are centrally placed. There is no gun convergence like for wing placed armament, which means that they are deadly at pretty much every range, as long as the pilot has good gunnery skills and accounts for shell drop, he can hit targets accurately at short and long ranges.

When the new damage model gets implemented, the .50 cal machine guns will become more powerful, however the Axis weapons with their superior rate of fire and accuracy will become even more deadly.

All Im saying is that it will even out in the end. I don't want to make generalizations but we will still get cases where planes will kill each other with one shot. The cases of planes surviving a lot of damage will probably decrease.

I think we will see a big decreese in MG131 effectiveness but an increase for MG151 and Mk108, although this won't suprise allies in any shape or form as it is usually one hit from those weapons currently that disables most of our systems or destroyes the plane completely or kills the pilot.

I think you also underestimate American planes when it comes to durability. Spitfire might feel squimish but P-51D and P-47D will be able to take some hits. Even the 30mm will not be 100% 1 shot 1 kill although most likely will be crippling.

109 will see the biggest durability loss. Its wing has only one spar. The plane is small and hard to hit but when you do hit, you almost always hit something vital.

We will definitely see an increase in survivability from the Fw190D9. Sure it is not A8 with a radial, but it still has quite a lot of armour and its structure will allow it to take some pounding from direct 6 o'clock.

At least it will be closer to reality which I am looking forward to. And I think it will make B&Z approach with good tactics and gunnery even more important than just simple stick to the gut approach most players now choose.

I wonder what happened to these guys :P :

b55c32581a221fe726f0fdc8f6c9dd00.jpg

89313a544fde708684b574f2ab2593e3.jpg

Edited by Solty

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]In 21st century there is only war and ponies.

My experience: Jane's attack squadron, IL2 for couple of years, War Thunder and DCS.

My channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyAXX9rAX_Sqdc0IKJuv6dA

You cant get more deadly really, 7 out of 10 times I'm put down is because of my engine seized to operate due to hits (fuel pump damage, manifold pressure controller damage, prop pitch damage, generator damage) or my pilot is getting killed (which surprises me how 13 mms so easily go through armored plate behind my back).

There is no feeling whatsoever of Allied (or at least in regard to P-51) construction ruggedness. There were a few times ( one yesterday ) when I take a lot of damage and can keep flying for a couple of minutes but those I can count on my fingers. Else, I go down after first few hits.

On the contrary amount of times I saw 109 going down as easily is rare, every time I engage one I'm prepared for the fact that I will have to chase one, damaged it a couple of times yet it will maintain full combat potential, eventually get it smoking which will only result in view obstruction and until I wont detach its wing or tail it will just keep flying.

D-9 is easier to bring down, but its possibly due to the fact that its engine recently appears to be more delicate.

AMD Ryzen 5900X @ 4.95 Ghz / Asus Crosshair VII X470 / 32 GB DDR4 3600 Mhz Cl16 / Radeon 6800XT / Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD / Creative SoundBlaster AE-9 / HP Reverb G2 / VIRPIL T-50CM /
Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Audio Technica ATH-MSR7

I think we will see a big decreese in MG131 effectiveness but an increase for MG151 and Mk108, although this won't suprise allies in any shape or form as it is usually one hit from those weapons currently that disables most of our systems or destroyes the plane completely or kills the pilot.

I think you also underestimate American planes when it comes to durability. Spitfire might feel squimish but P-51D and P-47D will be able to take some hits. Even the 30mm will not be 100% 1 shot 1 kill although most likely will be crippling.

109 will see the biggest durability loss. Its wing has only one spar. The plane is small and hard to hit but when you do hit, you almost always hit something vital.

We will definitely see an increase in survivability from the Fw190D9. Sure it is not A8 with a radial, but it still has quite a lot of armour and its structure will allow it to take some pounding from direct 6 o'clock.

At least it will be closer to reality which I am looking forward to. And I think it will make B&Z approach with good tactics and gunnery even more important than just simple stick to the gut approach most players now choose.

I wonder what happened to these guys :P :

b55c32581a221fe726f0fdc8f6c9dd00.jpg

89313a544fde708684b574f2ab2593e3.jpg

In the first picture, I think a Dora tried to mount a Mustang. :)

TWC_SLAG

Win 10 64 bit, 2T Hard Drive, 1T SSD, 500GB SSD, ASUS Prime Z390 MB, Intel i9 9900 Coffee Lake 3.1mhz CPU, ASUS 2070 Super GPU, 32gb DDR4 Ram, Track IR5, 32” Gigabyte curved monitor, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Pedals, Voice Attack, hp Reverb G2.

Lol.

The fist one does not look like battle damage.

A prop has churned through the P51. I'd suggest it happened on the ground.

No doubt.

:thumbup:

Do not spoil a good argument with fake news

:D

Yep, didn't think of it. It really looks like another prop hit it.

But the second one looks like a hit. 37mm from a mig? Or AAA?

Another two I found:

p-51findamage_zpsc5acfb9b.jpg

0_0_4588_3619.jpg

Edited by Solty
  • Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]In 21st century there is only war and ponies.

My experience: Jane's attack squadron, IL2 for couple of years, War Thunder and DCS.

My channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyAXX9rAX_Sqdc0IKJuv6dA

Yea I know it's a WIP it's just very frustrating! I'm trying to enjoy the sim but those are big things that are missing. It's really killing the emersion factor for me. I really do hope the new DM is worth the wait!

At least it isn't affecting your immersion. That would be no fun at all. No idea what emersion is though!