That TAD curser..

GazAce

Hey good wingmen. I'm totally enjoying and engrossed in my HOG and discovering new things in regards to its instruments and weapon systems. I want to use as many of it's systems and features as I can. I particularly love using my CDU for plotting coordinates and using my HUD TDC, TGP and even my MAV for searching and scoping out targets. Although I've yet to use the Curser in my TAD and wondering how many of you out there use the curser in your TAD? I would be interested to know how I can utilise this feature. I've tried to find info on this in my flight manual but to no avail. Cheers G

:book::pilotfly:

:: 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900K :: Asus ROG Strix Z790-A mobo :: Asus Tuff Gaming GeForce RTX 3080 Ti :: NZXT Kraken Elite 280 RGB AIO white cooler :: G Skill Trident Z Royals DDR4 4x16GB = 64GB :: WD Black SN 850X NVMe SSD 2TB M.2 (C Drive) :: Samsung 860 Pro 2TB SATA (D Drive) :: Corsair Crystal 680X White Case :: Asus XG349C 34" Curve G-Sync 180Hz 3440x1440 Mon :: Corsair 850W PSU :: Virpil Constellation Alpha-R Stick with VPC WarBRD Base :: Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle :: 3 x CubeSim ext mini screens with TM Cougar MFD Bezels :: Asus ROG Pugio 503 Gaming Mouse & Razer BlackWidow mech kb :: TrackIR 5 Pro & Cap Clip :: Win 11 64 Bit 😉

Hey good wingmen. I'm totally enjoying and engrossed in my HOG and discovering new things in regards to its instruments and weapon systems. I want to use as many of it's systems and features as I can. I particularly love using my CDU for plotting coordinates and using my HUD TDC, TGP and even my MAV for searching and scoping out targets. Although I've yet to use the Curser in my TAD and wondering how many of you out there use the curser in your TAD? I would be interested to know how I can utilise this feature. I've tried to find info on this in my flight manual but to no avail. Cheers G

:book::pilotfly:

I use TAD to send coordinates to wingman :D

Of corse, you can use HOTAS.

Also, you can use TAD to find out offset from one point to another.

Example. StPT_1 and target. You do HOOK at target and you switch between HOOK types using OSB 18, AFAIR.

PC: i9-10850K ~5.2GHz / Asus Rog Strix H490 Gaming, Asus GTX1080 Rog Strix Gaming OC, HyperX Fury RGB 32Gb RAM 3200MHz, SSD 512Gb, HDD 1Tb, Windows 10 x64. 2 x Samsung Curved 32" 

VirpilControls software engineer

I use TAD to send coordinates to wingman :D

Of corse, you can use HOTAS.

Also, you can use TAD to find out offset from one point to another.

Example. StPT_1 and target. You do HOOK at target and you switch between HOOK types using OSB 18, AFAIR.

I use the TAD for various things, especially to create mark points with the cursor. I wonder how you managed to live without it? :huh:

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Hey GazAce, I'm glad you're enjoying the Pig. If you can get past her looks.. she's quite the lady.

As it turns out, the TAD is one of the best resources available to an A-10C pilot. The TAD does an excellent job of enhancing a pilot's situational awareness of the battlespace on the ground. The TAD cursor has many functions, but by far the most common use for me with the TAD cursor is creating markpoints, active hooking, the EXP modes, and sending taskings to other aircraft.

I recommend you spend a few minutes each day sifting through the DCS A-10C manual; choose a different topic each day and read it to completion. After covering a subject, go up in a flight, and practice what you've learned in your reading session. This "small bites" approach works for a lot of guys, I've found. 681 pages of manual is tough to chomp through in one bite. Well, at least it has pretty pictures and is interesting. This is a cakewalk compared to some FAA publications...

Here's the link.

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/downloads/documentation/dcs_a-10c_flight_manual_en/

As for some functions I commonly use... here's active hooking.

I'm going to pull an excerpt from the flight manual about hooking with the TAD.

MIrn8a2.png

dA1uMie.png

You can hook anything on the TAD, really. This includes other aircraft, waypoints, markpoints, etc. And of course, once something is hooked, you can then set the hooked object as your SPI and slave your Mav/TGP to it.

For markpoints, once you have your TAD set as SOI, you can slap a markpoint on your TAD cursor by tapping TMS right short. You can then hook the markpoint and set as SPI to take a look with your sensors.

Also very useful is the TAD EXP (expand) modes. By having the TAD as SOI, you can hit China Hat forward once to enter EXP Mode 1, (EXP 1) and a second time to enter EXP Mode 2. (EXP 2) Your TAD cursor will remain centered, but your entire TAD map will move whichever way you slew the cursor. This comes in handy especially during cruise towards a target area. You can just swap into EXP mode, slew over to the target area, zoom in and explore the target area on your TAD before you get there. Once your done, just blow through China hat forward until you get back to the default mode. Of course, you can slew the cursor anywhere on EXP mode, so you can take a look anywhere on the TAD map you need, whether it be the target area, a city, or an airport. And of course, you can use the EXP mode to create markpoints anywhere you need.

As for taskings to other aircraft, which is a really neat feature and is great for group flights, I'll pull another excerpt from the manual.

wuVkVR2.png

Hope this has given you a brief overview of some of the capabilities of the TAD.

:book:

I use the TAD for various things, especially to create mark points with the cursor. I wonder how you managed to live without it? :huh:

I don't create MP's on TAD because I use TGP for that purposes.

In 90% of my flights when I search targets - I use TGP. And when I found the target - i mark it and continue searching.

Also, Mark points at TAD are not so accurate,even if you will use max zoom :)

IMHO

PC: i9-10850K ~5.2GHz / Asus Rog Strix H490 Gaming, Asus GTX1080 Rog Strix Gaming OC, HyperX Fury RGB 32Gb RAM 3200MHz, SSD 512Gb, HDD 1Tb, Windows 10 x64. 2 x Samsung Curved 32" 

Re:TAD Cuser

Hmm, interesting and thanks kindly for your input. Using my Warthog Stick I use HOTAS TMS Short Right for an instant markpoint over the area I'm flying, I don't believe there is a quicker way of dong it than that but creating markpoints was not my issue.

Thanks again. Cheers G

:thumbup:

And wow thanks Kippy that's awesome man, I just saw that reply then, big ups to you and to me she's one hot lady!

P.S I've read and re reading that manual brother. It's that HOOK feature I'm really wanting to learn and use next.

Thanks again, cheers G

:):thumbup:

Edited by GazAce

:: 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900K :: Asus ROG Strix Z790-A mobo :: Asus Tuff Gaming GeForce RTX 3080 Ti :: NZXT Kraken Elite 280 RGB AIO white cooler :: G Skill Trident Z Royals DDR4 4x16GB = 64GB :: WD Black SN 850X NVMe SSD 2TB M.2 (C Drive) :: Samsung 860 Pro 2TB SATA (D Drive) :: Corsair Crystal 680X White Case :: Asus XG349C 34" Curve G-Sync 180Hz 3440x1440 Mon :: Corsair 850W PSU :: Virpil Constellation Alpha-R Stick with VPC WarBRD Base :: Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle :: 3 x CubeSim ext mini screens with TM Cougar MFD Bezels :: Asus ROG Pugio 503 Gaming Mouse & Razer BlackWidow mech kb :: TrackIR 5 Pro & Cap Clip :: Win 11 64 Bit 😉

I don't create MP's on TAD because I use TGP for that purposes.

In 90% of my flights when I search targets - I use TGP. And when I found the target - i mark it and continue searching.

Also, Mark points at TAD are not so accurate,even if you will use max zoom :)

IMHO

Sounds like you're talking about marking units. I too use the TGP for that pretty much exclusivley. I use the TAD to mark other positions that are of interest to me and are often bigger areas.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

Sounds like you're talking about marking units. I too use the TGP for that pretty much exclusivley. I use the TAD to mark other positions that are of interest to me and are often bigger areas.

Yes, for marking areas - it's good to use TAD if you know Map well :music_whistling:

And receiving targets from JTAC. But I don't see any sense to make markpoints instead of using "red triangles" as it is shown on video.

you could have a lot of triangles. But, Mark Points count is limited.

Edited by ICS_Vortex

Yes, for marking areas - it's good to use TAD if you know Map well :music_whistling:

And receiving targets from JTAC. But I don't see any sense to make markpoints instead of using "red triangles" as it is shown on video.

you could have a lot of triangles. But, Mark Points count is limited.

Because triangles can't be used by the CDU ;)

Tornado3 small.jpg

So what? You even don't need to use it via CDU. No sense...

You can hook any TAD object and create a waypoint with it by using the "COPY?" OSB (iirc its osb8). This will automatically create a waypoint in the cdu and send you to the WYPT page in the CDU. Once here you can rename it to whatever you want (highly recommended).

Same for markpoints, it is easy to forget which markpoint corresponds to which target. When you create a Mark Point, the cdu goes directly to the MK page so you can copy that existing markpoint into a waypoint with a custom name.

Believe me, both techniques will make your life easier.

IIRCC then hooking the red triangle and create a waypoint using copy function will give an error since DCS doesn't send elevation data correctly for SADL target. This is an old post from 476th Eddie but IMHO it's still valid; https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1547954&postcount=2704

For high altitude targets this will pose a problem since the red triangle is situated inside the mountain so to speak.

This can be bypassed as Kimmi_uy says making a MARK POINT or using BROADCAST SPI function as the SPI does contain the correct elevation data.

Cheers

Hans