The Ultimate DCS World JSGME Guide - If you use mods, you need this. - Page 10 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 05-16-2013, 02:38 PM   #91
tietze

Send a message via MSN to tietze

JSGME is able to recognize symbolic links. So one way could (I have not tested this yet) be to use mklink /d to create a symbolic link (requires NTFS filesystem).

There is at least two ways of dealing with this:
  • Having JSGME manage ...\Saved Games\DCS and have a symbolic link to the DCS World inside that folder.
  • Having JSGME manage ...\DCS World and have a symbolic link to Saved Games\DCS inside that folder.

Black Shark: Controller profile & setup, TrackIR profile, pit.
Warthog HOTAS: Lubing the stick and extending the stick.
Posts on howto customize switches in DCS & youtube clip.
Must-have mods for DCS World and KA-50 (mostly JSGME).
Casual couch pilot, watching capped.tv...
tietze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 02:42 PM   #92
Mastiff
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Direwolf View Post
I have a doubt:
Some of the files I use for modding are now inside Saved Games folder, because the changes ED did on the files structure. How do I recreate the structure to redirect JGSME to that folder?
E.g I have my Export.lua and Tarsexport.lua inside c:/Users/User/Saved Games/DCS/Scripts folder. How do I create a structure inside _MOD folder (that´s inside c:/Program Files/Eagle Dynamics/DCS World)?
open JGSME\ look in the middle of the UI for TASK, open up look for regenerate game files...
Asus z370 MX||i7x8700k||ddr4-32gb PC3200||RTX 2080-8gb||AX1200 Corsair||turtle beach elite pro 7.1||Win10x64||TrackIr 4/ir||VKB,MCG\ViRpiL,T50cm|MFG CrossWinds||X55 Throttle||G15 Keyboard/Mouse|| Rift VR
32 Samsung|| 1x9inc||
Mastiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 03:58 PM   #93
Blaze
Veteran

Symbolic links are the way to go.

"Just when you think you’ve idiot-proofed something,
they come out with a newer, more inept level of idiot."
Blaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 04:32 PM   #94
Direwolf

No problem. I don´t think I´m gonna use symbolic links (I am not familiar with the procedure), but I´m gonna keep a Backup folder with the files I have inside Saved Games. And for the mods that are inside DCS WORLD, I´ll use JGSME.
But I noticed ED is migrating to this new files structure (Saved Games), and in a future release JGMSE should think about it.
Direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:39 PM   #95
Ebs

Using JSGME was always just a 'stop gap' until ED move completely into the Saved Games folder for mods and I'm glad they've made some progress on this.

I doubt JSGME will see another update. It hasn't been updated in a while and it's 'generic' meaning if there was an update I doubt they'd add specific features for DCS.

There's nothing stopping you from running a second copy of JSGME and pointing it to your saved games though. That'll work.
Ebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:45 PM   #96
cichlidfan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebs View Post
Using JSGME was always just a 'stop gap' until ED move completely into the Saved Games folder for mods and I'm glad they've made some progress on this.
If they intend to go that route completely, then they also need an in game method for specifying/altering the path to the DCS saved games folder. Mods can be quite large and cluttering the C drive with them should be avoidable without the user having to create a symbolic link in Windows.
ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1
cichlidfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:21 PM   #97
Direwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebs View Post
There's nothing stopping you from running a second copy of JSGME and pointing it to your saved games though. That'll work.
That´s an interesting statement!
Direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:02 PM   #98
tietze

Send a message via MSN to tietze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Direwolf View Post
That´s an interesting statement!
But still - if you're serious about it, it would be easier to just create a symbolic link inside the DCS World folder, than managing the two folders separately with two jsgme-mod directories.

Black Shark: Controller profile & setup, TrackIR profile, pit.
Warthog HOTAS: Lubing the stick and extending the stick.
Posts on howto customize switches in DCS & youtube clip.
Must-have mods for DCS World and KA-50 (mostly JSGME).
Casual couch pilot, watching capped.tv...
tietze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:13 PM   #99
Milli

I've never come across this symbolic link concept before. It looks interesting. Gonna try it out.

Regards,
Milli
Milli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:16 PM   #100
Blaze
Veteran

I use symbolic links a lot. They come in handy for development.

Here's my symbolic link if anyone's interested.

EDIT: Had it backwards. You'll want the main Scripts folder to reside in your DCS directory, not Saved Games, otherwise JSGME will overwrite the linked folder and you'll get nothing in Saved Games. Take two!

mklink /d "C:\Users\Anthony\Saved Games\DCS\Scripts" "C:\MyGames\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Config\Scripts"

1. Create a Scripts folder in your DCS World directory. I recommend "Config\Scripts" so it doesn't interfere with the main Scripts folder in the main directory. This will be the main folder than you can paste files into that will then be sent to the linked Scripts folder in your Saved Games directory.

2. Next, open up a command prompt (Start Menu, type cmd in search and hit enter). Copy the code, and right click in the cmd window and hit paste then enter. If you did it right it should say symbolic link created at blah blah blah... The way to check if it works is to go into your "Saved Games\DCS" directory and open the new Scripts folder that appeared in there, if it works it'll open, if not you'll get an error. If that's the case check your paths in the script and try again, also making sure that there is no Scripts folder in the Saved Games directory before the link is created, only in the DCS directory.

3. When you know the link works, all you have to do to get JSGME to paste your custom export script to Saved Games is to include a "Config\Scripts" folder with the file in your mod, and when JSGME activates it the symbolic link will send the file to the "Saved Games\DCS\Scripts" folder where it belongs.

Hope this helps.

"Just when you think you’ve idiot-proofed something,
they come out with a newer, more inept level of idiot."

Last edited by Blaze; 05-16-2013 at 09:34 PM.
Blaze is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jsgme, mods