Which eyetracking device - ED Forums

Notices

Old 10-23-2017, 02:31 PM   #1
BlueMax

Default Which eyetracking device

Hello guys, just thinking about an eyetrack.. thinking about tobii eyetracker or track IR5..which one would you recommend ? thanks for your help
BlueMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 05:01 PM   #2
Vatikus

track ir5 is not eyetracker, so it cannot be compared
Vatikus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 05:39 PM   #3
BlueMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatikus View Post
track ir5 is not eyetracker, so it cannot be compared
Ok ok.. in fact it is the question : which one for DCS ? :-)
Old 10-23-2017, 10:04 PM   #4
Vatikus

maybe this will help:
https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=189112
Vatikus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 03:14 AM   #5
Alterscape

TrackIR, hands down. Tobii only provides 3 degrees of freedom -- pitch, roll, and yaw. It can't detect if you move your head up/down, left/right, or forwards/backwards. TrackIR (or the open-source clones, like opentrack, that use a similar IR+markers approach) can read all six axes. In my experience, you'll end up wanting this.
Alterscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 10:06 AM   #6
BlueMax

I guess YES for the ir5.. have seen some vis, and all mentioned the disadvantage of the tobii eye tracker, which, in fact, is done NOT for gaming... only point which disappoints : why is the clip not standart with ir5.. another 40 bucks for a plastic clip seems a little bit too much :-)
Old 10-24-2017, 10:24 AM   #7
QuiGon
Veteran

The clip is standard with TIR. Unless you're talking about the Pro Clip, but the normal one is usally good enough.

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

QuiGon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 11:07 AM   #8
firmek

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuiGon View Post
The clip is standard with TIR. Unless you're talking about the Pro Clip, but the normal one is usally good enough.
Actually it should be looked from a different perspective. Unless you're ok with wearing a hat that is required to attach the reflector clip - go with the Pro Clip.
At least personally I found it totally uncomfortable to use the standard clip as it requires to wear the baseball cap with a headset on top of it. Not even mentioning the necessity to ware the cap at home during a summer time
Another point is that TIR with Pro Clip is much more precise and less jerky.
F/A-18, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all
firmek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 12:22 PM   #9
QuiGon
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by firmek View Post
Actually it should be looked from a different perspective. Unless you're ok with wearing a hat that is required to attach the reflector clip - go with the Pro Clip.
At least personally I found it totally uncomfortable to use the standard clip as it requires to wear the baseball cap with a headset on top of it. Not even mentioning the necessity to ware the cap at home during a summer time
Another point is that TIR with Pro Clip is much more precise and less jerky.
Well, I just taped the Clip onto my headset, so no cap needed.

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

QuiGon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 01:47 PM   #10
firmek

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuiGon View Post
Well, I just taped the Clip onto my headset, so no cap needed.
I also tried but this hasn't been exactly an "elegant" solution and it did make the TIR to be even more jerky especially in a higher head turn angles.
My point is that out of the box, track clip is just a flawn concept. I wouldn't mind if a similar, passive reflector device would be included but designed in a way that would work with and be easielly attached to the headset. Forcing the user to apply a rubber band or duct tape solution is never a good thing.
F/A-18, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all
firmek is offline   Reply With Quote