Need help regarding varied triple monitors setup.

Hey guys! Long time dcs fan here, and I'm in a little predicament that I hope some of you more experienced simmers can shed some light on.

I'm usually working and gaming on a PG279Q 27 inch monitor. While the high refresh rate and gsync is awesome in other games, I don't feel like it all that matters in DCS. I'm thinking about improving my dcs experience with a more panoramic view but these options have been eliminated:

Rift CV1- Tried with a friend's rift and resolution is way way too low for my tastes.

Selling the PG279Q and buying a 34 inch curved ulttra wide Losing a lot of features that are good for other titles, ultra wide resolution often unsupported.

So here I was thinking of buying either two cheap 27 inch 1440p monitors for a surround setup, or using an oportunity to get two 24 inch 1080p IPS monitors for free!

Now here are the things I have no idea about:

Can DCS use a 27 inch 1440p main monitor and render the sides on 24 1080p monitors while keeping it all at same scale?

Will in this setup Gsync be maintained on the central monitor?

The PG279Q has exremley thin bezels, so I'll be able to hide the side panel's bezels pretty well. Still, does Nvidia or DCS do some besel compensation in rendering?

Assuming I get two 26 1440p monitors: will 7680x1440 drive my 980ti to the ground? Its at 1550mhz and liquid cooled, but im affraid it might be way more than it can chew.

Edited by Ferrum Intra
  • Like 1

Hey guys! Long time dcs fan here, and I'm in a little predicament that I hope some of you more experienced simmers can shed some light on.

I'm usually working and gaming on a PG279Q 27 inch monitor. While the high refresh rate and gsync is awesome in other games, I don't feel like it all that matters in DCS. I'm thinking about improving my dcs experience with a more panoramic view but these options have been eliminated:

Rift CV1- Tried with a friend's rift and resolution is way way too low for my tastes.

Selling the PG279Q and buying a 34 inch curved ulttra wide Losing a lot of features that are good for other titles, ultra wide resolution often unsupported.

So here I was thinking of buying either two cheap 27 inch 1440p monitors for a surround setup, or using an oportunity to get two 24 inch 1080p IPS monitors for free!

Can DCS use a 27 inch 1440p main monitor and render the sides on 24 1080p monitors while keeping it all at same scale?

The PG279Q has exremley thin bezels, so I'll be able to hide the side panel's bezels pretty well. Still, does Nvidia or DCS do some besel compensation in rendering?

Assuming I get two 26 1440p monitors: will 7680x1440 drive my 980ti to the ground? Its at 1550mhz and liquid cooled, but im affraid it might be way more than it can chew.

Yes, you can use multiple monitors with different resolutions. I had 3X 1920X1200 monitors with 2 MFDs that I ditched in favor of Rift. Immersion trumped eye candy for me. See THIS post for example.

Not sure about GSYNC, but if you use three monitor setup (that comes with DCS), I'm thinking it's doable.

There's no compensation on the bezel, but it seamlessly crosses monitor boundaries. You'll just have bezel in between.

When I had all three and to 8" Lilliput monitors, my 980 (non-TI) handled it very well. I had very high frame rates, so I wouldn't think you'd be hurting.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Yes, you can use multiple monitors with different resolutions. I had 3X 1920X1200 monitors with 2 MFDs that I ditched in favor of Rift. Immersion trumped eye candy for me. See THIS post for example.

Not sure about GSYNC, but if you use three monitor setup (that comes with DCS), I'm thinking it's doable.

There's no compensation on the bezel, but it seamlessly crosses monitor boundaries. You'll just have bezel in between.

When I had all three and to 8" Lilliput monitors, my 980 (non-TI) handled it very well. I had very high frame rates, so I wouldn't think you'd be hurting.

Thanks for some of the info! I was thinking about something along the lines of

http://www.matrox.com/graphics/surroundgaming/en/product/bezel/

see how the rendering is aligned to wapr it all into a coherent image? :joystick:

Hmm, I guess it requires flash as I can't seen it. But native DCS does show one coherent image (just with the bezels in between).

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

the 980Ti might struggle occasionally but lot depends on your FOV and tweaking the settings.

You can compensate for the bezels within DCS really well by selecting the "3 screen" in settings and editing the config file for that particular view in "Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Config\MonitorSetup" "viewDx = -1.01;" (you might need to tweak the value)

Thanks guys! It seems that nvidia was lazy with it's surround implementation, so gotta use sofTH to make it happen. Gsync on the middle screen seems no go either. :/

Does SoftTH work with DCS 1.5?

i5-9600K@4.8GHz 32Gb DDR4 Asus TUF rtx3080 OC Quest Pro Warthog on Virpil base

You don't need Surround or SoftTH for multi-monitor support in DCS.

Intel 9600K@4.9GHz, Asus Z390, 32GB DDR4, EVGA RTX 3070, Custom Water Cooling, 970 EVO 1TB NVMe

34" UltraWide 3440x1440 Curved Monitor, 21" Touch Screen MFD monitor, TIR5

My Pit Build, VKB Gunfighter Pro w/WH Grip, TMWH Throttle, MFG Crosswinds W/Combat Pedals, Cougar MFDs, Custom A-10C panels, Custom Helo Collective, SimShaker with Transducer

You don't need Surround or SoftTH for multi-monitor support in DCS.

How would you compensate for bezels then? Using viewDx/viewDy? But then you have to have monitors of the same size/res.

i5-9600K@4.8GHz 32Gb DDR4 Asus TUF rtx3080 OC Quest Pro Warthog on Virpil base

How would you compensate for bezels then? Using viewDx/viewDy? But then you have to have monitors of the same size/res.

I don't even notice it, granted my monitors have very thin bezels and I place the side ones behind the center one so I'm only looking at one 1/2" bezel between them.

No big deal.

g9feVP0.jpg

Edited by Deezle

Intel 9600K@4.9GHz, Asus Z390, 32GB DDR4, EVGA RTX 3070, Custom Water Cooling, 970 EVO 1TB NVMe

34" UltraWide 3440x1440 Curved Monitor, 21" Touch Screen MFD monitor, TIR5

My Pit Build, VKB Gunfighter Pro w/WH Grip, TMWH Throttle, MFG Crosswinds W/Combat Pedals, Cougar MFDs, Custom A-10C panels, Custom Helo Collective, SimShaker with Transducer