Which FFB joystick?

Was wondering if any of you guys have experience with FFB joysticks and DCS 1.5 and 2.0? I would like to try it for the Huey and Mi8. I am running windows 10 and need it to work with the OS and DCS. Before I buy an old stick on ebay I want to make sure that it works in this environment :joystick:. Looks like the MS FFB Pro and FFB2 are about the only ones out there and they are pretty old so not sure if they even work in Windows 7 or Windows 10? Thanks!

ROTORCRAFT RULE

GB Aorus Ultra Z390| 8700K @ 4.9GHz | 32 GB DDR4 3000 | MSI GTX 1080ti | Corsair 1000HX | Silverstone FT02-WRI | Nvidia 3D Vision Surround | Windows 10 Professional X64

Volair Sim Cockpit, Rift S, Saitek X-55 HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals, Microsoft FF2, OE-XAM Bell 206 Collective, C-Tek anti-torque pedals

UH-1, SA342, Mi-8, KA50, AV8B, P-51D, A-10C, L39, F86, Yak, NS-430, Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf

The FFB2 should work in Windows 10, but only as a HID controller. I run one in Windows 7. The programming software is Windows XP obsolete. That said, the FFB2 works great as a Huey/Mi-8 cyclic. Just make sure you reverse the FF axes in the DCS Options menu and you'll be fine.

Get only the FFB 2 USB - FFB PRO is gameport that is no longer support in last Windows versions (7/8/10).

The programming software is Windows XP obsolete.

Xpadder, Joy2Key can be used for this "press button to press keys", if needed. ;)

Edited by Sokol1_br

With the old driver, you were able to change force feedback "spring", "dampening" and friction, which you are not able to do on Win10.

AFAIK the default value is 50%, so we cannot increase it to 100% at the moment.

There are no workarrounds there, correct?

Thanks

Intel I9 10900k @5.1GHz | MSI MEG Z490 Unify | Corsair Vengeance 64GB - 3600MHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
VPC T-50 Base /w Viper & Hornet Grip | VPC Rotor TCS Pro w/ Hawk-60 Grip | TM TPR
LG C2 42" | Reverb G2 | TIR 5 | PointCtrl | OpenKneeboard

Looks like the MS FFB Pro and FFB2 are about the only ones out there and they are pretty old so not sure if they even work in Windows 7 or Windows 10? Thanks!

There's also the Logitech G940 which comes with a separate throttle unit and pedals. The latter two suffer from negative hysteresis issue and feel a bit cheap, but are usable. The FFB stick works well in the DCS as far as I can tell. The software is rather poor to be honest, but you can program them in DCS anyway (minus the mode switch which positions are not recognized as DX buttons).

I think it's worth a shot if you find a good deal on it (like I did).

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

I am sorry for my poor English.

I think OP wants to choose a good stick with force feedback, not just one of MS FFB sticks.

In this case there are only two decent options (except some exotic sticks like one with hydraulics and price around 5000$). Either Microsoft FFB2 or Logitech G940.

MS FFB2

Pros:

+ The best implementation of FFB effect on mass-produced stick.

+ Good manufacturing quality.

Cons:

- Very old.

- Outdated drivers.

- Small amount of buttons and axes.

- Analog axes use POTs.

G940

Pros:

+ Much more modern than MS stick.

+ Driver supports Win7/8/10.

+ Large amount of buttons and axes including trimmers, mini-stick and 2-stage trigger.

+ Two main axes uses Hall sensor.

+ Engine control handles and rudder pedals.

+ Easier to buy new or in good condition.

Cons:

- FFB has “spikes” of uneven force when moving handle while effect force set above 75-80%.

- Low quality POTs on all axes except main two.

- Irremovable hysteresis on these axes, designed to offset above-mentioned problem.

- Wiring in engine control handles need replacement even on brand-new devices.

- Low quality rudder pedals.

I have both and prefer Logitech G940 over Microsoft FFB2. Difference in quality of FFB effect not so big, but G940 have much better functionality for high-fidelity sim such as DCS.

Edited by Mordhar

Рожденный ползать летит недолго.

Thanks guys. Leaning towards FFB2 stick if it works in win10 and works for helos in DCS. I already have great collective and rudder pedals and only want the cyclic for force feedback trim functionality in helos. I will go out on a gamble and get one off ebay this week if it works well for that.

ROTORCRAFT RULE

GB Aorus Ultra Z390| 8700K @ 4.9GHz | 32 GB DDR4 3000 | MSI GTX 1080ti | Corsair 1000HX | Silverstone FT02-WRI | Nvidia 3D Vision Surround | Windows 10 Professional X64

Volair Sim Cockpit, Rift S, Saitek X-55 HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals, Microsoft FF2, OE-XAM Bell 206 Collective, C-Tek anti-torque pedals

UH-1, SA342, Mi-8, KA50, AV8B, P-51D, A-10C, L39, F86, Yak, NS-430, Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf

FFB2 works without special drivers on Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and 10, 64bit variants included.

I believe Vista was the only one left out.

Mine hasn't let me down so far, it's perfect for choppers and warbirds.

If you're up for some DIY adventuring the older FFB pro can be made to work on USB using a Teensy microcontroller board.

Check out this project for that https://github.com/tloimu/adapt-ffb-joy

Edited by Nopileus

Bought a used Sidewinder FFB2 in really good shape on ebay. Seller says it is verified to work in win10 and has all cords. Going to strap it to a spare plate in my cockpit so I can interchange it with the X55 stick. Looking forward to using it with my helos in DCS. Thanks all.

• Like 1

ROTORCRAFT RULE

And DIY can use other grips in MS FFB2 to have "many buttons". :)

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=152723&highlight=FLCS+force+feedback

This project took me quite a while but it was absolutely worth it!

The immersion of having the stick where it belongs (for helos and prop-planes at least, plus some jets) and with the proper length, combined with VR is incredible.

Flying helos requires the stick extension - otherwise you're stuck with tweaking curves and even then, it's nowhere near the precision.

• Like 1

PC HW: i5 3770k@4.6GHz | Asus 1080Ti | 16GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO | MSI MPower Z77 Input: MS FFB2 w/ F-16 FLCS grip | CH Pro Throttle | MFG Crosswind | HTC Vive DCS modules: F-14, FW-190, P-51, Bf109, UH1, Mi-8, FC3, CE2

The FFB2 arrived this week and it's ok. It took me a bit to figure out the axes and reversing them etc to make it work. There is no vibration in the stick from ETL transitions and when landing etc which I'm kinda bummed about. I was expecting force feedback but really got trimmer functionality and even then it's kinda weird in that the first trim bumps the stick over further than where I have it and I have to disable trim and then reenable trim and it's fine after that. I was hoping for much more active force feedback than what's programmed in these modules.

I also wish I could exchange the stick for my X-55 stick since the buttons are much more realistic than what's on the FFB2. I do not have the technical skill to do that work like the linked thread above...

I think in the end I'll probably stick with the X-55 stick.

ROTORCRAFT RULE

The FFB2 arrived this week and it's ok. It took me a bit to figure out the axes and reversing them etc to make it work. There is no vibration in the stick from ETL transitions and when landing etc which I'm kinda bummed about. I was expecting force feedback but really got trimmer functionality and even then it's kinda weird in that the first trim bumps the stick over further than where I have it and I have to disable trim and then reenable trim and it's fine after that. I was hoping for much more active force feedback than what's programmed in these modules.

I also wish I could exchange the stick for my X-55 stick since the buttons are much more realistic than what's on the FFB2. I do not have the technical skill to do that work like the linked thread above...

I think in the end I'll probably stick with the X-55 stick.

j0nx, an alternative way to get force feedback effects is the Gametrix Jetseat (vibrating seat cushion) shown in this thread:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=134704

There is a Russian guy, =Andre=, who makes a free software called SimShaker, that makes it work very well with DCS.

http://dreamsimteam.blogspot.se/p/simshaker.html

He also sells the seats in a small e-shop, since they are difficult to purchase from Russia. https://andres-eshop.pswebshop.com/

In helicopters you get feedback, in the form of airframe vibrations, from rotor movement, translational lift, VRS etc., even in some helicopters from guns shooting. :)

I got one, and it completely changed my DCS experience, both in helicopters and in fixed wing aircraft.

Suddenly you very much use the tactile feedback to control your flight, and VRS and stalls are much easier avoided.

Very much recommended. :)

I use it with a Warthog stick, sadly never had a FFB stick in DCS.

System specs:

Gigabyte Aorus Master, i7 9700K@std, GTX 1080TI OC, 32 GB 3000 MHz RAM, NVMe M.2 SSD, Oculus Quest VR (2x1600x1440)

Warthog HOTAS w/150mm extension, Slaw pedals, Gametrix Jetseat, TrackIR for monitor use

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

I'd like to continue the topic which was brought up by j0nx. I'm also disappointed by the FFB in DCS (1 and 2). I expected control-surface-forces but only got centering force, shaking and trimming. Is this really it? In MS Flight Simulator X there are forces from the air acting on the control surfaces. This means that you push the stick around and as soon as you stop pushing, the stick moves around instead of just centering. It just feels more realistic although I can't explain the whole behavoiur. Of course, there are fly-by-wire planes without a physical connection between control surfaces and stick but I like the WWII planes and helicopters and I somehow miss these forces. Reading about so many problems with FFB, I wasn't sure if I just didn't find the right setting or if these forces really aren't simulated. But according to j0nx's posting, it seems not to be simulated.

Could you please confirm that:

- Control surface forces are not implemented for any plane in DCS (2)

- This function is not planned for future updates

As soon as I know about this, I can plan my joystick setup and future module purchasing. ;) Thanks in advance!