AV-8B COPY PROTECTION CHANGE

Wags

AV-8B COPY PROTECTION CHANGE  

441 members have voted

1. 1. AV-8B COPY PROTECTION CHANGE

• 1 Calendar Day
    • 3 Calendar Days ( Current System Under Evaluation )
    • 7 Calendar Days
    • 14 Calendar Days
    • 21 Calendar Days
    • 30 Calendar Days ( Once a Month )
    • 60 Calendar Days
    • 90 Calendar Days

:music_whistling:

By request:

To clarify this point: No!

The Harrier was simply gone from the lists, if the ED login servers are down you are not able to play any of the listed modules with new DRM. This is unbelieveable and undefendable, I was initially under the impression I still could play offline but this really bursts my bubble.

Honestly, stick with Starforce, this just doesn't work. To reiterate the point, ED has server issues, not even the user, so playing future DCS modules will simply not be possible under that scenario.

And yes, if I have time to fly some DCS, it is a HUGE issue for me if I can't, even if it's "only" for one or two hours. So please nobody dare bring that up now, it will just further enrage the customer who suffered this problem.

There was the argument when this started "b-b-but you have stable internet, this does not concern you!11", clearly even ED is not above issues in the infrastructure and that line of argument does not hold up.

So please spare us the platitudes, we need a real statement by ED that truly acknowledges & addresses these concerns, not some non committal PR defusal.

I believe the point has been made abundantly clear. Software online dependency is a ridiculous restriction on the consumer.

I don't think anyone would deny, that ED has put out an incredible product. I, like others, have put in countless hours of modifying, studying, training, building, and of course playing, this piece of technological art. It truly is.

People I show this to are blown away by the visuals. I just got my Oculus running last night and my buddies with Oculus are all downloading world today, but I don't think they'll spend any money. Why?

It's inconvenient to the customer!

No one wants to come home to a broken machine. Your fault, my fault, no ones fault. If Ed has an issue at their end, it shouldn't effect the customer at his/her end. That's just asking for needless hate and discontent.

Reasonable restriction on the end users use and ability to copy, configure, and modify the product is acceptable by reasonable people. I believe ED has been very generous in this regard. I would implore ED to continue that generosity in regards to this issue.

Without that generosity, I don't think I will making any future purchases with ED.

p.s.

People have called for ED to make a official comment on this issue. I'm sure their quite busy right now and they see a need to address this issue in a timely manner. I believe they will give this issue the thought required.

So now, I have to figure how to get the keyboard to work in VR. LOL!

Night Ops in the Harrier

IYAOYAS

• Replies 731
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had my first issue with the new DRM today as my internet went down, and I saw a message popup upon opening DCS 2.5 saying that I only had 2 days and 16 hours left to play (and that MP was unavailable).

Just wanted to say that I definitely support the proposed offline mode, and thanks for taking our concerns into account.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

• ED Team
I had my first issue with the new DRM today as my internet went down, and I saw a message popup upon opening DCS 2.5 saying that I only had 2 days and 16 hours left to play (and that MP was unavailable).

Just wanted to say that I definitely support the proposed offline mode, and thanks for taking our concerns into account.

Were you not able to play? And MP is generally not available when you dont have internet.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

Were you not able to play? And MP is generally not available when you dont have internet.

The game launched, though I didn't try to load a mission. I only thought to see what would happen when the game opened since my internet was out by chance. I imagine it would have worked, but I'm still concerned about those worst case scenarios that can pop up every so often where I might be without internet for an extended time.

About the MP part, I was just poking a little fun because I found the message amusing given that MP wouldn't be playable without internet anyway.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

Not having read all pages, but here are my two cents: How about like a 14 day grace period (maybe even 30 days?) everytime you log into DCS it will try to renew the license. If you have internet it will do so and you are "safe" for the next x days. If you dont have internet nothing will happen until those x days have run out. I think the importance here is that it will try every time. This will prevent "bad luck" situations in case you want to play, but have no internet or connection to the ED servers for whatever reason just when the grace perios ended.

A few days ago many received the 502 error which stopped you from using MP.

At the same time the Harrier module was disabled.

Does anyone know why this happened, and how ED plan on stopping this happening again. My understanding is the phone home system is set at a few days, where as this didnt work ?

We were unable to use the Harrier offline for about 45 mins(not the end of the world but a frustration ;)

Water cooled i9-9900K | Maximus Code XI MB | RTX3090  | 64GB | HP Reverb G2 

• ED Team
Does anyone know why this happened, and how ED plan on stopping this happening again. My understanding is the phone home system is set at a few days, where as this didnt work ?

We were unable to use the Harrier offline for about 45 mins(not the end of the world but a frustration ;)

DRM server had failed. And the code missed this case, when login server works and DRM one does not.

Now this is fixed in the internal version and will be out with the first patch.

Also, the offline mode of operation will come; can't give ETA at this moment though.

• Like 1

Dmitry S. Baikov @ Eagle Dynamics

LockOn FC2 Soundtrack Remastered out NOW everywhere - https://band.link/LockOnFC2.

DRM server had failed. And the code missed this case, when login server works and DRM one does not.

Also, the offline mode of operation will come; can't give ETA at this moment though.

Thank you for your speedy reply ;)

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Water cooled i9-9900K | Maximus Code XI MB | RTX3090  | 64GB | HP Reverb G2 

Ya,

If I were to run into on the street I would shake your hand, but this I will buy you beer. You will have to come to Michigan for that. lol

Thank you for all you do.

p.s.

I think you can add the [solved] tag to this post.

Night Ops in the Harrier

IYAOYAS

Thanks, for the quick fix! Really looking forward to the solution for offline mode.

If this is working, we are all happy, I guess.

No more trouble with activations running low, the benefit of being able to install on a Laptop etc. and just Log In with your account, plus having the Option to play offline through Internet problems or when in a remote area for a longer time.

This is really good news. :notworthy:

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

• 1 month later...

As per last update info :

"We are also implementing a new Offline mode to allow you to play DCS World 2.5 without any requirement for an internet connection."

Great, thank you guys. Definitly, that was a mandatory point for me to buy another DCS product and specifically the futur F18 module. So, I will buy it then.

Sounds promising and much appreciated. Still a bit vague though for my taste. But i trust ED has heard us and will make it a proper offline mode. Hoping to see more details soon so my wallet may open again :)

Same here I have to say it was great to hear this news

fingers crossed it will be unveiled soon

METAR weather for DCS World missions

Guide to help out new DCS MOOSE Users -> HERE

Havoc Company Dedicated server info Connect IP: 94.23.215.203

SRS enabled - freqs - Main = 243, A2A = 244, A2G = 245

Please contact me HERE if you have any server feedback or METAR issues/requests

any chance of a thread title change, since this is now for all modules not just the AV-8B?

METAR weather for DCS World missions

Guide to help out new DCS MOOSE Users -> HERE

Havoc Company Dedicated server info Connect IP: 94.23.215.203

SRS enabled - freqs - Main = 243, A2A = 244, A2G = 245

Please contact me HERE if you have any server feedback or METAR issues/requests

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

TLDR; Will I be able transfer the recently purchased NTTR and AV-8B modules from Steam to stand alone DCS, either now or at some point in the future?

A bit of explanation. I tried to read as much of this thread as possible, but it's easy to miss something in 717 posts, and I'm still not clear what's possible now, or what will be possible in the future. I'm wondering about portability of modules to/from Steam and standalone DCS.

Here is a bit of my history. I first played DCS in 2013 with the A-10C. I bought the module on Steam, along with a few other modules I have never put any time into (your welcome ED). That's not ED's fault, at least they were on sale :-). I played with the A-10C for over a year, and really enjoyed it.

Eventually, Falcon BMS drew me in with the F-16 multi role goodness. I played BMS for a few years, then took a break from military flight simulation all together. Then, recently I head about the AV-8B Harrier from RAZBAM, and the upcoming F/A-18C. That caught my interest, I imedeatly bought the AV-8B Harrier and the NTTR map on Steam, and have been enjoying it.

Since then, I learned many modules are available on the standalone DCS World before they are available on Steam. I installed the standalone version, and I could access all my modules from 2013, but not the NTTR map or the AV-8B. Will I ever be able to install the standalone version of DCS World, or will I forever be locked into the Steam version?

Thanks,

David

Hi,

TLDR; Will I be able transfer the recently purchased NTTR and AV-8B modules from Steam to stand alone DCS, either now or at some point in the future?

A bit of explanation. I tried to read as much of this thread as possible, but it's easy to miss something in 717 posts, and I'm still not clear what's possible now, or what will be possible in the future. I'm wondering about portability of modules to/from Steam and standalone DCS.

Here is a bit of my history. I first played DCS in 2013 with the A-10C. I bought the module on Steam, along with a few other modules I have never put any time into (your welcome ED). That's not ED's fault, at least they were on sale :-). I played with the A-10C for over a year, and really enjoyed it.

Eventually, Falcon BMS drew me in with the F-16 multi role goodness. I played BMS for a few years, then took a break from military flight simulation all together. Then, recently I head about the AV-8B Harrier from RAZBAM, and the upcoming F/A-18C. That caught my interest, I imedeatly bought the AV-8B Harrier and the NTTR map on Steam, and have been enjoying it.

Since then, I learned many modules are available on the standalone DCS World before they are available on Steam. I installed the standalone version, and I could access all my modules from 2013, but not the NTTR map or the AV-8B. Will I ever be able to install the standalone version of DCS World, or will I forever be locked into the Steam version?

Thanks,

David

From my personal point of view, I guess that is a question, best asked to Vive (the operators of the Steam Shop and the Steam DRM). I have no idea what the current EULA from Steam is, how they handle DRM, if and how they can/want to transfer assets/or necessary purchase data from their system into a foreign one, etc.

The thing with the old modules (A-10C) is, they use Starforce keys, which can be transfered into the database from ED and bound to your standalone DCS account.

Valve politely closed that door quite a while ago, buy not allowing foreign keys into their Steam database.

I don't know how EDs new DRM system works (well, not more than was posted here), but a guess is, there is a chance they find a way in the future, hopefully.

I am lucky, as I always tried to omit Steam as much as possible, but I know a lot of people come to DCS through the Steam Store and learn about the Standalone later.

So I am very sympathetic to a fix for the mess Valve created.

Shagrat

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

• 1 month later...

I cant get why they cant atleast just provide steam keys for modules one bought on ED as so many other games / shops do. Even if they fear that one would gift his "extra" steam key to someone else they could simply add the Ed-Login to the steam version and check if that steam key belongs to this account.

I only own the Harrier on Steam and expect f18 and persian golf every other module/map on ED, but i would like to move over to steam completly as downloading updates is so much better with steam ( automatic updating, pause downloads, bandwith limiting... )

Edited by tob.s

I cant get why they cant atleast just provide steam keys for modules one bought on ED as so many other games / shops do. Even if they fear that one would gift his "extra" steam key to someone else the could simply add the Ed-Login to the steam version and check if that steam key belongs to this account.

I only own the Harrier on Steam and expect f18 and persian golf every other module/map on ED, but i would like to move over to steam completly as downloading updates is so much better with steam ( pause downloads, bandwith limiting... )

Likely because Valve wants money for the keys.

Btw. you can pause an DCS download/update as well, simply cancel and it will pick up where it stopped at the next start.

Shagrat

Please just make it like every other AAA Title.

Offline, single play - no key check.

Online - key check.

So simple, and it works for everyone else.

Already implemented. If you cancel the Login you are in offline single player.

If you need a longer period, activate "offline mode" with the new offline mode switch in the main menu screen, left of the logout button (what looks like a Wifi Symbol).

Be aware you need to be online(!!!) to deactivate it again!

See here:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=207670

Edited by shagrat

Shagrat