Thinking of getting a WH, concerned about problems

Hello guys,

I've been thinking of getting a warthog for some time now, but every time I get to the point, I seem to be held back by posts, videos etc describing some poor quality and problems.

Now, most of these posts are quite old tbh, so I'm here to ask, in the latest serial numbers, have some of the most discussed problems been rectified?

I'm talking about sticktion, but if there are other things please let me know.

Also, which serial numbers should I avoid?

Thanks a lot ;)

• Like 1

Windows 10 - Intel i7 7700K 4.2 Ghz (no OC) - Asus Strix GTX 1080 8Gb - 16GB DDR4 (3000 MHz) - SSD 500GB + WD Black FZEX 1TB 6Gb/s

Have you considered VKB? If quality of components is concern, their gladiator, or future gunfighter model might be the ticket.

• Like 1

| Windows 10 | I7 4790K @ 4.4ghz | Asus PG348Q | Asus Strix 1080TI | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 2400 DDR3 | Asrock Fatal1ty Z97 | Samsung EVO 850 500GB (x2) | SanDisk 240GB Extreme Pro | Coolermaster Vanguard S 650Watt 80+ | Fractal Design R4 | VirPil T-50 | MFG Crosswind Graphite | KW-908 JetSeat Sim Edition | TrackIR 5 |

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yes I had a look at their website, but it looks like everything is out of stock. I am also flying the A-10C and F-16 (BMS) a lot, so I really want all the hats and the dual stage trigger...

Windows 10 - Intel i7 7700K 4.2 Ghz (no OC) - Asus Strix GTX 1080 8Gb - 16GB DDR4 (3000 MHz) - SSD 500GB + WD Black FZEX 1TB 6Gb/s

Even with the know quality issues - and price - Warthog is your best option, that are few:

CH still using 8 bits (256 points) USB controller and lack some "jet" desired features:

dual trigger, pad lever, dual throttle...

Saitek?

VKB "high end" models - Gladiator PRO or Gunfighter with the "next gen" gimbal realistic only will be available by the end of year.

You can solve the "HAT/buttons/triggers" issue buying a Cougar and using their grip in VKB base but this represent additional cost - besides the Cougar need buy the adapter - making Warthog more attractive.

Their jet/spaceship grip can only be expected for next year, as well throttles.

Edited by Sokol1_br

Go for it, the Warthog is great - especially for the A-10C.

One of Sahaj's extensions really helps with the sticktion.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I have owned Logitech 3D pro, then Saitek X-52Pro, then X-55 and now Warthog.

The quality of the WH hotas surpases them by a lot. It's just different league completely. For DCS at least. I would have saved a lot of money if I would go for WH several years ago already and did not bother with anything else. If DCS is your game then go for it. If you are playing other games like space sims too, then you may find hard to map the WH for them. Although the Target software has default map profiles for the most famous recent games.

I have yet to find a reason why would I want to go back to anything else at the moment, but remember one thing, you need to have pedals or simulate them by key presses. WH lacks twist.

The only thing that X-55 did better was the number of axis that could be mapped but WH makes up to that with the quality of the those that are on it. For example the "mouse" pad on X-55 is unusable for anything else than bands detection and key presses. You cannot use it as an slew axix due to the awfull sensitivity. WH is the complete oposite, every axis on it is very precise and usable as intended and the "mouse" pad is by default mapped to slew function in A-10C and it works...

I was never able to map zoom on Saitek joystics to an axix due to the low sensitivity, it would jump all around even when not touched. Im able to do so on WH.

And mainly the ergonomy of the stick is the best of all I had so far. My hand and fingers hurted when I was using X-55 but they are not now with WH.

Edited by Jumbik

Do, or do not, there is no try.

--------------------------------------------------------

Sapphire Nitro+ Rx Vega 64, i7 4790K ... etc. etc.

I had the same concerns as you, but 8 months ago I bit the bullet and bought one to coincide with a new PC build for DCS 2.0. Yes there is stiction, so I purchased a 10cm extension from wasey100, and it helps eleviate the problem but does not cure it, I suppose in the future I will have to open it up and re-grease if I get brave enough.

It's a fantastic piece of kit, wouldn't be without it now, so many options for binding buttons, switches and dials. No other problems detected yet.

image.thumb.jpeg.4b84d4e90d6fa24f35bf31d4115b1b87.jpeg

• Like 1

Modules NOT currently in my hanger

Yak 52/F-14 Tomcat/CE II/Mig-19/I-16/FW-A-8/JF-17/Supercarrier

My system:

MSI Z97 Gaming 5 mobo

3.5 GHz Intel Core i5 4690k

H100i CPU Cooler

16 GB 1866 MHz DDR3 Hyper X Fury Red

MSI GTX980ti GPU

EVGA 850W PSU

Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD

128gb Plextor M.2 storage (Boot Drive)

Windows 10 X64 Professional

Acer XB281HK G-sync monitor

Trackir 5

MFG Crosswind pedals

T M Warthog Hotas

Thanks for your posts.

Right now I have an X52 Pro and Saitek pedals (I also have the CH pedals but they are too narrow for me).

Even with the know quality issues - and price - Warthog is your best option, that are few:

CH still using 8 bits (256 points) USB controller and lack some "jet" desired features:

dual trigger, pad lever, dual throttle...

Saitek?

VKB "high end" models - Gladiator PRO or Gunfighter with the "next gen" gimbal realistic only will be available by the end of year.

You can solve the "HAT/buttons/triggers" issue buying a Cougar and using their grip in VKB base but this represent additional cost - besides the Cougar need buy the adapter - making Warthog more attractive.

Their jet/spaceship grip can only be expected for next year, as well throttles.

I was thinking to get WH, and then get something from VKB with the WH adapter. I mean, there is a WH adapter right?

With my X52 I've never had problems to be honest, so I'm one of the few people not criticising Saitek, but I'm utterly disappointed by their choices.

The X65 was very interesting, but they pulled it. The X55 was also quite nice, but I can't fathom why they didn't put a dual stage trigger, and also the "CMS" hat is lacking (just a push button).

The new X56 looks like a retarded version of the X55, and again, no dual trigger...

For a modern jet-fighter I find that I need a lot of hats, and only the WH has all of them. The only gripe I have is with the throttle. Perfect for the A-10, but I wish they made a version with a radar elevation rotary for A-A...

I've had mine for about 6 months. Trim button went out, emailed support, and they replied with a "How To Replace Switch" pictorial and sent a new one to me (from France). Swapped it out, issue resolved. Best quality I have had.

• Like 1

I've had my warthog a few weeks now and i can 100% say I haven't spotted any quality issues with the product, (one arrived with a broken switch) but after getting a replacement i think that it had previously been opened, probably damaged and returned so i was just unlucky. Amazon had a replacement out the next day.

I've also got friends that have used the x52 pro and new x56 and they love those to. If you want a heavy (not going to slide around), A10 stick then the WH is for you!

• Like 1

I was thinking to get WH, and then get something from VKB with the WH adapter. I mean, there is a WH adapter right?

Yes, VKB will provide adapter for Warthog/Cougar grips (as well a 20 cm curved extension), you can buy a Warthog now and see VKB Gunfighter - when available (more probable next year) - as gimbal upgrade. ;)

Ok I did it, a bit of an impulse buy this morning, jeez.

Anyways I found it on amazon for 339 Euros including VAT and delivery ;)

• Like 1

Ok I did it, a bit of an impulse buy this morning, jeez.

Anyways I found it on amazon for 339 Euros including VAT and delivery ;)

It took me two years to do the same decision. :)

Do, or do not, there is no try.

--------------------------------------------------------

Sapphire Nitro+ Rx Vega 64, i7 4790K ... etc. etc.

Also, keep in mind that people with problems post. So the "view" is very skewed.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1