Modding an old X45 into a switch box?

Hi everyone,

I finally picked up a Warthog and it's fab. But my old X45 now resides alone in the closet with little to do but dream of being more useful. I'm hoping to modify my X45 into something that resembles the Warthog throttle -- a working throttle with additional switches taken from the stick input in one convenient box.

After seeing some of the really nice controller mods, I have a few basic questions:

1. Can the hats be modified into 4/8 independent switches? I assume hats are wired similar to an on/off/on but with four independent on directions and a central off position, is that correct? Or are they analogue?

2. Would it be more efficient to use the onboard Saitek board or switch to a one of the Bodnar boards? I am assuming the Saitek as it would allow it to still read and function as a Saitek device and would limit construction to just rewiring switches.

3. Does this have any unforseen consequences with DCS/Windows/etc as far as number of devices or controllers? I believe I recall most games cap at 1-2 inputs, but DCS reads all detected inputs. Is this correct?

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

DCS reads all input devices that Windows does. I imagine you will have a problem on a really old PC with an ancient windows version. I have 4 USB input devices apart from my wireless mouse/keyboard, TrackIR (and headset) I use Windows 10. Win7 will be fine as well. I dunno about earlier windows incarnations. But I don't think DCS will run on earlier windows at all.

Rewiring switches may not as easy as it sounds. I think it is too fiddly. But it is defenitly do-able. And HAT swtiches can be repurposed to 4 or 8 independant switches. I dunno what the Siatek software will do when it 'misses' switches.

Happy Flying! :pilotfly:

You can hack up a stick all you want, I did it. I got some on/off/on switches and wired them into the hat switch circuit. The only think you need to do is make the circuit, and interrupt it with a switch just like the hat was already doing. You'll probably only get away with using that hat as 4 switches unless you're real clever with the pixie wrangling. However keep an eye out for diodes on your main board or switch board. They matter, not all sticks have them, Logitech Extreme 3D's do. Dunno about Saitek's. And you can use as many joysticks as you please. I use 4, plus a mouse and a keyboard, cooling pad, home brew head tracker. All tolled I have 9 USB's on my computer no issue.

Light the tires kick the fires!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

1. Can the hats be modified into 4/8 independent switches? I assume hats are wired similar to an on/off/on but with four independent on directions and a central off position, is that correct? Or are they analogue?

HAT's are only four tactile micro-switches around the "hat" pole.

So, you can wire then in 4 individual ON/OFF switches (toggle/latch) or momentary (press).

Even in 8, but in this case this will require some wire working with diodes, because what make 45, 135, 225, 315 degrees positions in HAT is press 2 switches, e.g. N and NE at same time, the controller firmware interpret this dual press as other position.

2. Would it be more efficient to use the onboard Saitek board or switch to a one of the Bodnar boards? I am assuming the Saitek as it would allow it to still read and function as a Saitek device and would limit construction to just rewiring switches.

In the end both will work in the same way, but with a Bodnar board will be more easy to make wire connections.

In Saitek you need "decipher" the connections, and work with fragile wires and solders, but if X-45 has 5 axis and 20 buttons, you can use all.

Example of "button box" that someone did with X-45 (from "RiP" Forum Sukhoi):

x45.jpg

When L.Bodnar and similar controller boards are not available this re-usage of X-45 was common, today with Bodnar, DSD... cards available and cheap DIY Arduino solutions (e.g. MMJoy2) the work involved for re-wire became less attractive. Your DIY skill decide the question. ;)

3. Does this have any unforseen consequences with DCS/Windows/etc as far as number of devices or controllers? I believe I recall most games cap at 1-2 inputs, but DCS reads all detected inputs. Is this correct?

As posted above actual "flight games" can use several controllers, some up 4, some up to 9, some more - think is case of DCS. The new "button box" continues a Saitek joystick for Windows and games.

Older flight games (90's) and some FPS games with flying"things" (e.g. Battlefields) see only one controller (not sure if BF's do in this way, but used as example of FPS games with flying "things"). :D

BTW - This is a different case, using X-45 parts but with new USB Controller (MJoy16, that can handle 100+ buttons ), was created this "Mega Throttle". :)

X_45_Mega_Throttle.jpg

The possibilities depends on DIY skill and imagination. ;)

Edited by Sokol1_br

Those are all really exciting to see. They give me hope that this is a great deal more realistic than I first imagined.

I'd like to keep the throttle, but I just can't see me wanting to swap the wide range of options the Warthog offers for a kitbashed F16 throttle. It seems easier to just lock the Warthog and roll.

I think instead I'll use the throttle pot as a trim wheel (as that's the least intrusive replacement) and build a somewhat complete set of A-10 switches and have a semicomplete A-10 pit.

I think I might also find a way to add covers to it so I can instantly have switches labeled for a different aircraft.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Here's a look at what I did.

Hi. What are the name of those switches? 3-way Toggle Momentarily Spring or what?

I'll order those, but I couldn't be sure what their name are.

Thank you.

i7-2600 @3.4GHz | Corsair 16GB @1600MHz. | MSI GTX1660Ti Gaming X | Samsung 256GB SSD (Win10HPx64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5
>>MY MODS<< | Discord: Devrim#1068

They are commonly know as "toggle switch", but have some sub-types, with 2, 3 or more positions:

ON-OFF

ON-OFF-ON

ON-OFF-(ON)

(ON)-OFF-(ON) this ( ) mean that close the circuit momentarily, when hold the lever in position.

The others lock the lever in position and the circuit is permanent connected.

Example:

Warthog throttle use ON-OFF and ON-OFF-ON.

Saitek X-55 throttle use (ON)-OFF-(ON).

Are other variations, but the above are the most common.

And you can get then in "double pole" that is 2 switch electric circuit controlled by one lever, useful in some cases, depends on planed usage.

http://www.littelfuse.com/technical-resources/technical-centers/commercial-vehicle-technical-center/poles-and-throws.aspx

Edited by Sokol1_br
  • Like 1

I'm trying to get toggle switch just like the one on X-55 throttle.

Thank you so so much for detailed info mate. :)

i7-2600 @3.4GHz | Corsair 16GB @1600MHz. | MSI GTX1660Ti Gaming X | Samsung 256GB SSD (Win10HPx64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5
>>MY MODS<< | Discord: Devrim#1068