quoestion about Mini Update

TomCatMucDe

Sorry, this information is classified.

Just kidding, I was curious too and still don't understand. Google searched and found this info (Maybe someone can dumb it down for us enthusiasts:

"The Launch & Steering Target (L&S) is the primary pilot-designated A/A track. With a HAFU displayed on the Attack or Az/El formats, a track can be designated as the L&S via the Undesignate SHFT+DEL switch, or via manual TDC cursor designation ENT with the cursor positioned over a trackfile. The L&S is also created any time a trackfile has been acquired into STT. This can be done from either the Attack format or the Az/El format. A trackfile can only be made the L&S if it is within the attack region (70° cone about the boresight of the aircraft).

Once designated as the L&S, any of the A/A missiles can be launched against that MSI trackfile. Targeting information for L&S and DT2 is also displayed on the HUD. The TD box, range, range rate, zones, steering and sensor contributor cuing all apply to the L&S trackfile. A small "X" cue is also displayed in the HUD to indicate the line-of-sight to the DT2 trackfile. The designated L&S can be also utilized for sensor control. For example, an L&S SLAVE option is available on the A/A FLIR format and Az/El FLIR format to control the FLIR line-of-sight such that it can be slaved to the L&S LOS.

The L&S target may be cycled/stepped to another trackfile (if one exists) by pressing the Undesignate switch SHFT+DEL from the Attack or Az/El formats. This will rapidly cycle through all visible trackfiles stepping the L&S to each trackfile in turn. The L&S can be removed completely (if not in STT, or with an AIM-120 in flight) via the RESET option at [PB14]. There is no HOTAS control for removing the L&S once it is created.

If the L&S is dropped for any reason other than RESET, (gimbal limit exceeded, aged out, etc.) and a DT2 exists, the DT2 is declared the L&S."

This is from some sort of Virtual Reality Simulations program for the F-18E I think. But still didn't help me understand. Hopefully someone answers your question as I saw 130 views but no response.

Edited by Kazius

My understanding is that L&S is part of track-while-scan functionality - it's essentially the first priority track, either manually designated by the pilot or by entering single target track.

i7-4770k | EVGA GTX 980 SC | 16GB DDR3 | TrackIR 5, TM Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals

DCS: F-16C, F/A-18C, F-14A/B, AV-8B, FC3, A-10C, Black Shark II, UH-1H, F-86F, MiG-21bis, Mirage 2000C, AJS-37, F-5E :pilotfly: