SAM skill setting effect

twistking

Hello,

does anyone know how the skill settings affect SAM AI behaviour?

I noticed that f.e. the SA-2 starts tracking targets at the same distance regardless of skill setting, but fires at greater ranges if skill is set higher.

What is the reasoning behind this? Do higher skill settings translate to more aggressive behaviour, or do they increase missile performance (which would be strange and unrealistic)?

Also what are your preferred skill settings for long range sams? I alwas had them on "avergae" before, simply because i did not realize skill would affect range...

ok. thanks for the answer.

and does anyone know which unit's skills etting of a radar sam site affects the engagement profile of said site?

i would guess, that the tracking-radar is the important part and that skill settings of launcher units does not matter.

can anyone shed some light on this?

those things are very time-consuming to test...

I don't think there is one. Unless the fire control system is based on an optical tracker, there's very little skill involved in a particular SAM engagement, since most processes are automated.

The human part of the equation is the decision-making process:

1. Does this contact meet the engagability standard set by my ROE?

2. If the answer to #1 is 'yes', when do I shoot?

Everything else is about how the system is designed and how well it's being maintained.

Very Respectfully,

Kurt "Yoda" Kalbfleisch

London

"In my private manual I firmly believed the only time there was too much fuel aboard any aircraft was if it was fire." --Ernest K. Gann

You mean the radar lock you at the same distance? O just in search mode?

my impression was, that radar lock was at similar distance, but actual engagement (shooting) was later / at shorter distance with lower skill.