DCS Warthog HOTAS Profiles by Polaris & Schnix

Thanks for the great compilation!

Installed it together with AutoHotKey and now I ll give it a try.

Just seom questions:

1. Why do some Profiles have to be Mods? These modules also have input-folders in "saved games".

Are there layouts for these too? (I could also use a A10C !C! layout as I am new to the A10 and the Warthog stick)

2. Do you use the pinky lever ON THE LEFT THROTTLE? Is switching commands more easily done with a switch instead of a button?

Pinky forward then stays without command? What is this switch used in the real A10C then in the different positions?

Edited by Atelophobia

Win 10 Pro | Trustmaster Warthog | MFG Rudders | VivePro Wireless Gear Lens modded | 1080ti OC Asus | 32 GB DD4 RAM | i7 9700 | Razer Chroma Orbweaver Keypad | Corsair KB | Derek Switchbox | USB Keypad | Logitech 502 | Jetseat with SimShaker Software | TrackIR5 | Autotkey | Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs | Monstertech Mounts | Saitek Throttle Quadrant

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cowboy 10uk,

I wish I could take credit for your compliment regarding the Shark...but the real genius behind it (and the Huey as well) is SchniX.

His love for helicopters combined with a huge knowledge is almost unprecedented.

Atelophobia,

"Why do some Profiles have to be Mods? These modules also have input-folders in "saved games"."

Because with the current modules programming (in all but in A-10C) each two ways switch can only make an action when it's turned on and not when it's turned off...eg...you can only toggle actions with it and each time you have to move it up and down to prepare it for the next toggle action.

The mods, when usage is advised, make certain switches do two actions: one at the up position and another at the down position.

If it's a 3 way switch the mod enables 3 actions instead of two without it (the middle position is active).

"Are there layouts for these too?"

P-51D and UH-1H, which have mods, have graphical layouts.

The TF-51D is mostly a repetition of the P version and the FW-190D is WIP and is barely done.

"I could also use a A10C !C! layout as I am new to the A10 and the Warthog stick"

I hardly changed anything with the Hog's profile, except for my regular actions which are present in all my modules.

Therefore one can find the Hog's layout in a simple search.

"Do you use the pinky lever ON THE LEFT THROTTLE?"

If you're meaning the switch on the left of the throttle... I take its use from the Hog and use it for external lights, mostly.

I also assigned a shifted layer for it's forward and backward states, which you can check at the layouts.

"Is switching commands more easily done with a switch instead of a button?"

It all depends on the system you are simulating, its complexity and ease of use.

The only questions are: how is it in the real aircraft, is it logical to place it there and how easy is it to use it (alone and in the context of the whole plane).

"Pinky forward then stays without command?"

Seldom.

Usually for landing lights.

In the shifted layer it's for DCS rearming and refuelling window.

"What is this switch used in the real A10C then in the different positions?"

Aft: Lights according to panel.

Forward: Default external lights.

Middle: External lights off.

One advice if I may...the profiles made are nothing more and nothing less than a key to a door.

You can open the magical door of DCS and step in and fly the best modules ever made.

It doesn't, by no means, replace reading, learning and training.

There's so much to learn: flight, aerodynamics, flight rules, avionics, weapons, tactics, manuals, regulations, SOPs and a gazillion other stuff...

So...enjoy these profiles as a starting point...with which you can venture wherever you want...

Edited by POLARIS1

jgVplRQ.png

Thousand thanks Polaris1!

I need to specify my quaestion concerning "using the pinky lever on the left throttle": Id like to know if this is the "lever" you talk about your installation instructions for shifted commands. First I though you use the pinky lever on the stick but you use if for TIR5 control (which I adopted - great one!) and I think you wrote to select the first device in the control options of DCS for setting shift button which would be the throttle according to your instructions acccording to your deviceID.

However, in your comments here in post one you say "b. Lever switch on the joystick always acts as a modifier/ shift key." so it should be the stick. But wont this interfere with your TIR5 control? This way TIR5 should go into pause when pressing a shifting command, shouldnt it?

Win 10 Pro | Trustmaster Warthog | MFG Rudders | VivePro Wireless Gear Lens modded | 1080ti OC Asus | 32 GB DD4 RAM | i7 9700 | Razer Chroma Orbweaver Keypad | Corsair KB | Derek Switchbox | USB Keypad | Logitech 502 | Jetseat with SimShaker Software | TrackIR5 | Autotkey | Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs | Monstertech Mounts | Saitek Throttle Quadrant

Thousand thanks Polaris1!

I need to specify my quaestion concerning "using the pinky lever on the left throttle": Id like to know if this is the "lever" you talk about your installation instructions for shifted commands. First I though you use the pinky lever on the stick but you use if for TIR5 control (which I adopted - great one!) and I think you wrote to select the first device in the control options of DCS for setting shift button which would be the throttle according to your instructions acccording to your deviceID.

However, in your comments here in post one you say "b. Lever switch on the joystick always acts as a modifier/ shift key." so it should be the stick. But wont this interfere with your TIR5 control? This way TIR5 should go into pause when pressing a shifting command, shouldnt it?

Lever/ shift key is the actual lever just behind your pinky on the stick.

As for the TrackIR...I use a script through AutoHotKey which enables me to use Lever+DMS down short for recenter and Lever+DMS down long for pause.

So...the Lever does nothing when pulled alone and keeps its shift action while DMS down has dual layers with the shifted one being TrackIR.

There's a link I gave a few posts before that explains it all.

jgVplRQ.png

ahhh, now it got it. You dont use the same method like CubPilot - you did modify the script, right? I just did use his script/exe.

Let me see if Im able to modify his script then... :)

Edit: Found your script lines.

However, the script doesnt run yet for me. Looks like I did sth wrong. Should be a simple task to fix it.....

Edit 2:

Didnt run the new exe as admin. Fixed.

Thank you Polaris!

Edited by Atelophobia

- can be deleted -

Edited by Atelophobia

Awesome work, as usual! I really like being able to use the FLAPS switch on the Hog throttle for the three flaps settings in the FW-190.

It would be nice if ED would give us the option to assign a state to the OFF position of a DX button. That would solve a lot of issues for those of us not wanting to mess with TARGET or delve into LUA coding.

My only suggestion is more aimed at other 'Hog users: pick up a CH Throttle Quadrant to mount by your Hog. Adding six sliders is valuable beyond belief, and cheap after what you paid for the Hog. I picked one up off of eBay for $70. The lack of sliders on the Hog throttle is my only complaint about the hardware, and it's an easy one to fix.

Thanks again for the profiles, and most especially the LUA mods!

PC - 3900X - Asus Crosshair Hero VIII - NZXT Kraken 63 - 32 GB RAM - 2080ti - SB X-Fi Titanium PCIe - Alienware UW - Windows 10

Sim hardware - Warthog throttle - VKB Gunfighter III - CH Quadrant - Slaw Device Pedals - Obutto R3volution pit - HP Reverb G2 - 2X AuraSound shakers

Polaris1

These are a terrific set of profiles and since they generally are consistent, learning a new is has become much easier.

However, I do seem to have an issue with the wheel brake (w hold) for BS2. While I may be incorrect, it seems that on the first press, the brake works, but does not release when you release the button. It seems to release on the second press. Could what you wrote above "Because with the current modules programming (in all but in A-10C) each two ways switch can only make an action when it's turned on and not when it's turned off...eg...you can only toggle actions with it and each time you have to move it up and down to prepare it for the next toggle action" be the culprit? I thought that I read something on the forums that solves this issue by adding something in Lua and I will look for it.

Thanks again.

Trackir4 using the latest Trackir 5 software, Win10 Pro [Creator Update] updated from Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel® Core™ i5-2500 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA115 , GigaByte GA-Z68XP-UD4 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 16GB Ram, GTX MSI Gaming 1060 [6 GB] Video Card, Main Monitor 1 on left 1920x1080 Touchscreen Monitor 2 on right 1920x1080 .

DCS Warthog HOTAS Profiles by Polaris & Schnix

I shall have to look into it for it sounds like a profiling issue on my part, if it is an issue.

This module has no mod/ custom controls and therefore the issues do not relate.

jgVplRQ.png

Got my PC sorted out, but I seem to be having trouble with the profiles/mods. I think I followed the instructions to the letter, but for some reason the mapping isn't right.

What I did.

1. Moved original input folder to desktop and replace with the input folder contained in the downloaded archive.

2. Downloaded JSGME followed the instructions for setting it up. In properties I set the shortcut to "start in" c:\program files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\DCS World (not sure if that was the exact path)

3. Copied the individual folders located inside the "Custom Controls" folder to the newly created _MODS folder within the DCS World directory.

4. Loaded up JSGME and activated the UH-1H mod

5. Started up DCS and launched a training mission.

My first clue that something was wrong was that the hat switch was controlling the camera. I tried a few other things while looking at the included graphical layout to see if anything matched up. Nothing was working as it's depicted in the graphical layout. I'm really not sure what I did wrong. The only purchased module I have is the Huey; should I have only dropped that one into input? Any ideas?

Anyway I was at least able to take off, fly around, and actually land without destroying the chopper. I think I'm really going to like this when I get all the initial headaches out of the way. I almost can't wait to jump into multiplayer, but not quite ready yet.

I think that what happened is that you didn't load the profile (assuming you placed the new input folder in the saved games root).

After you put the input folder in the right place you go to settings>controls>choose a certain module> clear each category completely (joystick, throttle, rudder and TrackIR)>load new profile into each one of the categories from the new folder from within the setting menu and...that's it.

jgVplRQ.png

I think I've got it sorted out now. I briefly tried doing what you described originally, but I kept trying to highlight the column header (Joystick, Throttle, etc..). After I read your reply and clicking on the first binding in the column it all clicked then. I still need to fix a couple things like zoom and throttle is reverse, and the slew control is sending the camera all over the place. I think I can figure that out though. How'd it get to be 3 AM?? It's time to get some rest. If I continue tonight I'll probably screw everything up lol! I appreciate the help.

Polaris1

However, I do seem to have an issue with the wheel brake (w hold) for BS2. While I may be incorrect, it seems that on the first press, the brake works, but does not release when you release the button. It seems to release on the second press.

Sobe,

I checked it and all seems to work just fine.

Just to make sure...there are two assigned commands for brakes:

1. Wheel Brake Parking/ Lever+CMS left: each single one click changes its position from locked to released or vice versa.

It moves the actual joystick lever in the cockpit from the locked position to the open position or vice versa.

2. Wheel Brake/ CMS aft: each continuous pull on the CMS applies brakes which stops the aircraft.

Release of the command releases the brakes.

In short...if you wish to roll you need to first release the parking brake.

Stop when needed with regular wheel brakes.

Hope it helps

Polaris

jgVplRQ.png

Polaris1

Thanks for the reply. I am currently testing putting the wheel brake on my left toe brake pedal and so far it seems to work nicely as I am able to apply variable pressure to the brake.

The BS profile and chart was a great help in getting started in BS.

Trackir4 using the latest Trackir 5 software, Win10 Pro [Creator Update] updated from Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel® Core™ i5-2500 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA115 , GigaByte GA-Z68XP-UD4 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 16GB Ram, GTX MSI Gaming 1060 [6 GB] Video Card, Main Monitor 1 on left 1920x1080 Touchscreen Monitor 2 on right 1920x1080 .

I still need to fix a couple things like zoom and throttle is reverse, and the slew control is sending the camera all over the place.

PimpFinger,

1. Zoom: I did that on purpose after lots of testing.

Use what is good for you.

2. Throttle - indeed I think you are right and it's more logical with China Hat forward being Throttle Down and aft Throttle Up.

It shall be part of the next update.

3. Slew control: Camera Vertical and Horizontal View in the axis section were assigned to the slew control by mistake and should be cleared.

It shall be part of the next update.

Edited by POLARIS1

jgVplRQ.png

We would appreciate any suggestions, advices or new perspectives that would help make the attached even better.

Hi Folks,

Thanks for getting this together... appreciated.

I have been spending some time writing within Target to create a generic profile to be used as a base for any aircraft type before fine customisation. Without commenting on its ease of use, TARGET I found can be randomly problematic with DCS interaction especially if DX codes were assigned to each state of a switch and in another area with consistent pulsing of keyboard characters at times of intense processing.

A few comments:

Your custom control method using the 3 way switches in the F190 were informative and I can use that in other aircraft type if desired and consequently abandon and further TARGET work.

For me I would say that the P51 flaps lever needs revisiting for any realistic use. To cover all 5 static flap positions you could link it to a springed rocker switch using the keyboard character or, as it is also an axis, to the friction slider but I understand this will not fit the ‘generic’ model.

I could not find the 10c input profile folder - there is a 10a and a default?

I like the basic overall theme, it appears sound and will work fine.... thanks.. :)

Kind Regards

Chris

CJS,

First of all thank you for taking the time and giving a feedback, as well as how the profiles assist you !

1. TARGET: there are those who find the TM software to be superior regarding ease of use and capabilities.

I took another route.

2. "For me I would say that the P51 flaps lever needs revisiting for any realistic use. To cover all 5 static flap positions you could link it to a springed rocker switch using the keyboard character or, as it is also an axis, to the friction slider but I understand this will not fit the ‘generic’ model."

A lot of thought and testing revolved around the Mustang's flaps.

More than that...in dogfights flaps are used very often and ease of use is of the maximum importance.

I started with the original flaps switch and found it lacking.

Then I used the friction slider until I moved the zoom view from TrackIR to the slider and had to move flaps control back to the flaps switch. As it is with the current graphical engine DCS uses...zoom view happens to be one of the most important controls in the simulator and especially in dogfights.

As for a spring rocker switch...since those in the throttle section have springs only one way one would need to use two switches...

In short...I agree that the current flaps location is a compromise, but it is the best compromise I could find.

As for 'generic' location of switches...it's important for moving from one module to another with the utmost ease...but...it by no means takes precedence over logic, human engineering and operation of individual aircrafts.

Did I find the most logical solution?

I think I found the best logical solution my logic could find ;)

If you could find another solution I would be more than glad to try it.

3. "I could not find the 10c input profile folder - there is a 10a and a default?"

I just tried downloading the file myself and the A-10C folder is present in the Input folder.

Do you mind checking again?

Again...thank you!

Polaris

jgVplRQ.png

Hi,

.....there are those who find the TM software to be superior regarding ease of use and capabilities....

Polaris

Certainly some actions are easier such as controlling three way switches, multiple commands on ´push´ and multiple sequenced actions on a button are just a few examples and full scripting is another area completely - However, with me suffice to say I found reliability issues..

.....Mustang's flaps........ for 'generic' location of switches...it's important for moving from one module to another with the utmost ease...but...it by no means takes precedence over logic, human engineering and operation of individual aircrafts.

Polaris

Absolutely..

....If you could find another solution I would be more than glad to try it.

Polaris

Having only 10 degrees of flaps available per click with repeated cycles of on and off of the flap switch to go full range I found very un-natural in operation and of course little visual clue of flap position.

Personally I found to use the flaps switch for this function would only be to keep in synch with the other aircraft profiles. I made the same initial choice as well by the way, did not like it and then changed it....

I totally agree with the ZOOM control to be on the slider for consistency across all profiles.

Personally for the P51 I need good control of the flaps. I have settled on using the Flaps as an AXIS on the left throttle. This gives me full range together with a visual indicator as to position.

I find that having engine RPM on the speedbrake control works well but in your profile the chinahat is free and could be used but the speedbrake falls more naturally to hand.

...I just tried downloading the file myself and the A-10C folder is present in the Input folder. Do you mind checking again?

Polaris

You are correct...

I had unzipped the file and had a look and came back to install it but my input folder had no 10C.... On further examination it was inside another subfolder.... My bad - probably an errant mouse stoke slid it across into a differrent folder.... Doah!:doh:

On another thought, people use DCS aircraft in many different roles - learning to fly, pleasure flying, combat in all the different guises to formation flying.

Perhaps offer 2 levels of profile.... One a flight, basic instrument controls and DCS functions such as zoom kneeboard etc all married to function - and then another level geared towards say combat with all the additional controls and sights.

The included instruction text could be more informative. :book:

A generic blank pdf layout for written amendments may be useful for those who do not have PS.

Just a thought..... And of course if you want a hand in any of those just shout.

Thanks again..

Kind Regards

Chris.

Welp, this might officially be the most useful thing I've ever used for DCS. I don't use your actual profiles but I do use the modified buttons (3 way switches) from this mod. I have to say, not only can I understand very easily how to make more of my own custom "switch" buttons, but your default ones are incredibly useful and have been exactly what I'd like to use the Warthog for.

So, thank you both so much for your effort, and if you take donations I would be happy to donate for your time spent.

Intel i5-2500k @ 4.4GHz w/ H70 liquid cooler, ASRock PRO3-M Z68 Mobo, 32G 1600Mhz Mushkin RAM, EVGA GTX970 4GB , OCZ Agility 3 128g SSD, SanDisk 240g SSD, Win7 64-bit

--Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/livingfood --

CJS,

1. "Perhaps offer 2 levels of profile.... One a flight, basic instrument controls and DCS functions such as zoom kneeboard etc all married to function - and then another level geared towards say combat with all the additional controls and sights." - sounds interesting.

2. "The included instruction text could be more informative" - what exactly do you find lacking?

3. "A generic blank pdf layout for written amendments may be useful for those who do not have PS" - a very good suggestion!

It shall be added to the next update.

Thank you for your continued review, thoughts and offer of help!

KaspeR32,

My biggest surprise from this thread is that while it is aimed at new players veterans find it useful.

Thank you for your kind words and I'm glad it helps you.

As for your offer of donation I can only say I deeply appreciate your thoughtful offer !!!

As it is I'm giving back to the community what has been given to me since I first ventured into these pages.

Starting from flight advices, tactics, armament, SOP, graphical alterations and so many mods...so many who have been giving and making our DCS flying so much better and without asking anything in return.

In short...your appreciation is a better currency for me :)

jgVplRQ.png