How to stow the emergency AV cool intake?

bkthunder

As part of the startup checks you "pop" open the AV cool emergency air inlet.

This is modeled in game and if you check the F2 view, you can see it is open, however, there is no option for the ground crew to stow it back, so you have to fly with it open.

Am I missing something or there is actually no way to put it back in, after the check?

If not, this should be implemented via ground crew menu at least.

Windows 10 - Intel i7 7700K 4.2 Ghz (no OC) - Asus Strix GTX 1080 8Gb - 16GB DDR4 (3000 MHz) - SSD 500GB + WD Black FZEX 1TB 6Gb/s

The ram air scoop is open on a cold & dark aircraft and will close as you cycle the bleed air on ground by going full turn around on the rotary selector.

I don't think there should be anything on the normal procedures that would make you to use AV COOL or ECS MODE switches to manually pop any scoop open.

He's is not talking about the ram next to the nose gear drag brace he is talking about the beer can that pops out just above door 10R and in front of 13R. Which does have to be pushed back in by the plane captain or final checker.

Edited by mongo52
grammer

He's is not talking about the ram next to the nose gear drag brace he is talking about the beer can that pops out just above doors10 and 13L. Which does have to be pushed back in by the plane captain or final checker.

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about.

Windows 10 - Intel i7 7700K 4.2 Ghz (no OC) - Asus Strix GTX 1080 8Gb - 16GB DDR4 (3000 MHz) - SSD 500GB + WD Black FZEX 1TB 6Gb/s

He's is not talking about the ram next to the nose gear drag brace he is talking about the beer can that pops out just above doors10 and 13L. Which does have to be pushed back in by the plane captain or final checker.

Yes, but popping that out would mean putting the avionics cooling into emergency configuration. I don't think that's part of normal startup, at least it wasn't of one I used to be involved with...

Yes, but popping that out would mean putting the avionics cooling into emergency configuration.

It's part of the before taxi checklist, but only in the 2008 manuals. In the 2000 manuals this check isn't there.

i7-7700K 4.2GHz, 16GB, GTX 1070 

I wonder what is the reason for adding this.

Probably to verify that an emergency device is in working order in case it is actually needed in an emergency?

In that case it would have been included right from the beginning.

Since it was only added a few decades after the Hornet ops started, there have been most likely a few incidents where this function hasn't worked as it should and hence it has been added.

i7-7700K 4.2GHz, 16GB, GTX 1070 

In that case it would have been included right from the beginning.

Since it was only added a few decades after the Hornet ops started, there have been most likely a few incidents where this function hasn't worked as it should and hence it has been added.

Yes, indeed. This is a very specific functional check to include into the startup flow, and generally speaking one wants to get rid of them, not to add them. There could be some quite specific reasons, perhaps maintenance findings or flight incidents, to add such a check.

Context:

... at your home airfield, where these checklist are typically designed to be executed, all start-ups thus most ground checklists are executed with ground crew. If the av air door were pooped to ensure its operation, the ground crew would be waiting to immediately close it.

You have encountered another game-ism where context is lost making this real world procedure incompatible.

Find us on Discord. https://discord.gg/td9qeqg

If i remember the message right something a combination of over painting and weak spring was making it so some were not popping out.

I can totally see this, we didn't do this when I was a plane captain in the 90's.

VMFA-232 Lot 11 C's

i7-8700K Z370 AORUS 5 ASUS ROG GTX 1080 8GB SAMSUNG 970 EVO NVMe 1TB 32 GB DDR4 TM Hog Track IR5

If i remember the message right something a combination of over painting and weak spring was making it so some were not popping out.

Yea, probably something like that could be behind this. A better way to deal with such an issue would be to confirm there is no obstructive painting and to check the spring force in appropriate maintenance event, and repetitively if necessary. Could be why at least some services appear to not have included this into the start-up stuff, at least back in time.

He's is not talking about the ram next to the nose gear drag brace he is talking about the beer can that pops out just above door 10R and in front of 13R. Which does have to be pushed back in by the plane captain or final checker.

Ha Ha I bet there's a bunch of people now wondering what and where 10R and 13R are.

On Aussie Hornets the only time I've seen the AV cool emergency air inlet popped during start-up was during the post deep level maintenance test flight.

Neither do I know where this inlet is nor do I know how to pop it open from inside the cockpit - but I am amazed it is modelled while the wing folding beer cans are not. And IMHO those would be way more important...

Also haven't seen the ram air scoop yet rdlaugh.png

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

Yea, totally. Spent nearly half an hour in looking for this scoop. Didn't even know it is a thing... Adorable ED devs...

i9-9900K, G.Skill 3200 32GB RAM, AORUS Z390 Pro Wifi, Gigabyte Windforce RTX 2080 Ti, Samsung 960 Pro NVMe 512G + 860 Pro 1T, TM Warthog HOTAS, VKB T-Rudder, Samsung O+

F/A-18C, F-16C, A-10C, UH-1, AV-8B, F-14, JF-17, FC3, SA342 Gazelle, L-39, KA-50, CEII, Supercarrier Preordered. (Almost abandoned: CA - VR support please?)

PG, NTTR

• 2 weeks later...

My suggestion is to have the AV COOL switch display a radio option upon setting the switch to EMER

F1. Stow.
This radio option only displays when the emergency cooling scoop is deployed (only WOW 0 knots ground speed), and pressing it removes the radio option and stows the scoop (switch must be in NORM, WOW, 0 knots ground speed).

:)

Edited by randomTOTEN

• 9 months later...

Hello,

Are there news on how to close this scoop?

I'm editing a "by the book" CV Cold Start training mission, and on the "4 down" test, the scoop does open, but I can't get to close it :(

h13bWRn.jpg

Thanks for any help you may give me :thumbup:

Edited by Rudel_chw

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Hello,

Are there news on how to close this scoop?

I'm editing a "by the book" CV Cold Start training mission, and on the "4 down" test, the scoop does open, but I can't get to close it :(

h13bWRn.jpg

Thanks for any help you may give me :thumbup:

It´s the ground crew who close it. But in DCS we are stucked. Maybe one day we will have that option for ground crew.

Cheers,

F.

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

It´s the ground crew who close it. But in DCS we are stucked. Maybe one day we will have that option for ground crew.

Yes, I find it curious that ED added the animation to open the scoop, but didn't provide any means to close it :(

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB