F-15C vs F-15E

hip3rion

I am completely with Harlikwin on this one. If F-15E was and still is operated in a way where the WSO does all the A/G stuff, target acquisition, lasing, weapon profiles, radar and CMS management; I definitely won't buy F-15E without AI WSO and just haul a dead WSO in the back doing all his stuff by myself. For me there is no point in having all the systems modeling and FM made to perfection, but operate the aircraft in a completely different way than it is operated/flown in the real world.

Heatblur and Dekka dont have an entire game engine to support and expand upon. They have the luxuary of only making modules.

They also have smaller teams, and they have to deal with said engine constantly changing and messing with their own products. Being based in different countries they likely also have very different operating costs.

You're both comparing apples to oranges imo.

See I'm probably in the minority here but just having the ability to do multi-crew is enough for me. Having a real person in the back is far superior to an AI, Jester is good but flights with him are actually more work for me, because I feel like I need to baby sit him and constantly tell him how to do his job lol. Don't get me wrong though he adds lots of immersion and is IMHO absolutely essential for that particular platform in this game when your solo or in SP.

However when it comes to the F-15E, sure having a back seat AI would add some more immersion and fidelity but the way I see actual day to day use in game with solo play or SP is going to be something like this; Me bringing up the radial menu and finding the right command and saying "hey WSO do this task for me" or I can save ten seconds and do it myself...So Yeah it'd be cool for sure but I just don't see myself actually using it to the degree you HAVE to in DCS: F-14. I know that's not how it works in the real deal but it is what it is for DCS. If you want to get hyper realism, you should find a buddy and do multi-crew.

Perhaps some refinement is in order for Jester down the road but that's my hot take on back seat AIs

DCS F/A-18C :sorcerer:

Heatblur and Dekka dont have an entire game engine to support and expand upon. They have the luxuary of only making modules.

Yes, they "only" make modules. And they have to deal with broken modules because of changes to the core ED made and doesn't communicate to their 3rd party devs(in advance). Also ED gets it cut from every sold 3rd party module, i have 30% in my head but don't quote me on that. So it's in their own interrest of having many 3rd party devs with "the luxuary" of "only" selling modules.

But what exactly has all this to do with your post i quoted? I only quoted you because you started your post with "Actually Dekka RBM mapping mode is based off ED ground radar API. Its not an in house solution." Which was never claimed by the post you quoted, thats all. False statement/misinterpretation, whatever.

And your comment:

Is this because of the original statement by Harlikwin of

...or Deka with releasing a basically complete 4th gen fighter (again, ED isn't there yet) and giving away a ton of free Chinese units...
?

ED choosed to release 2 EA modules ontop of their core workload and they choosed to do the SC module ontop of that. If 3rd party devs raise the bar in quality/state of content with their modules because they can concentrate on one module it is because ED choosed to go a diferent way(yes keeping the lights on...i know). Thats fine with me but doesn't change the fact that some 3rd party devs are ahead in quality and quantity(features).

No hard feelings here, i was just confused by your post/ i didn't understand your point. Maybe it's a language barrier thing. :beer:

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, CA, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, Bf-109K4, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, SA342 Gazelle, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, F-14, C-101, FW-190A8, F-16C, F-5E, JF-17, SC, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D Apache, Mirage F1

System: Win 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 3800X, 32gb RAM DDR4-3200, PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil ,1 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe, 2 x Samsung SSD 2TB + 1TB SATA, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle - HP Reverg G2, using only the latest Open Beta, DCS settings

:

To curb the misconception that Dekka included thier own A/G radar solution.

They released a nearly complete module at release. Good for them that really isn't raising the bar. . And IMHO the 3d interior cockpit detail is somewhat bland compared to ED and 3rd parties. But maybe that's just me.

HEatblur can be said to have gone above and beyond because they put in the effort to make their own A/G radar for the Viggen, and also the effort put into making Jester AI for the tomcat, allowing single play use. After the tomcat i don't know if HB has any further plans in DCS. I recall something about members of the HB being hired by another company to do work in another software. IF that's true then i suspect DCS will become a sideshow to them after their obligations for tomcat , carrier, and AI A6 Intruder are complete.

You may not agree with ED EA route ( even I am wary of Ed drifting into a habit of a cycle of countless EA products) but it is what it is.

that being said the idea behind the SC module is really nice. IT goes well with this focus on Naval aviation. IT will give greater immersio, will benefit those using 3rd party naval aviation modules like the Tomcat, and very likely inclusion of compatibility future ones like the A7, and not just those who own the Hornet.

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

Thanks for clarification, i agree with most of your statement but not with all, thats life and fine.

....They released a nearly complete module at release. Good for them that really isn't raising the bar...

If i compare that with other 3rd party devs or even ED it's quite some accomplishment considering it's their first full blown DCS module :thumbup:

...And IMHO the 3d interior cockpit detail is somewhat bland compared to ED and 3rd parties. But maybe that's just me....

Their artist was in hospital for some time(months), he/she(?) is updating the interior/exterior step by step now. But the truth is, the JF-17 has a rather "boring" cockpit to begin with

Quick google search:

35e60c1334478a8852047f00d0fbc076.jpg

Oh and sorry for the whole OT thing. :blush: :beer:

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, CA, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, Bf-109K4, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, SA342 Gazelle, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, F-14, C-101, FW-190A8, F-16C, F-5E, JF-17, SC, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D Apache, Mirage F1

System: Win 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 3800X, 32gb RAM DDR4-3200, PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil ,1 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe, 2 x Samsung SSD 2TB + 1TB SATA, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle - HP Reverg G2, using only the latest Open Beta, DCS settings

The game engine that ED charges them 30% or more of their sales to use? The game engine ED constantly changes and breaks their module with? A game engine that is spasmodically broken half the time that does an incredibly poor job of simulating modern combat? That engine? Wow, such luxury. Plus Deka is probably a team of less than 10 part timers, while ED has what 100+ employees... Seriously Kev?

Edited by Harlikwin

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

See I'm probably in the minority here but just having the ability to do multi-crew is enough for me. Having a real person in the back is far superior to an AI, Jester is good but flights with him are actually more work for me, because I feel like I need to baby sit him and constantly tell him how to do his job lol. Don't get me wrong though he adds lots of immersion and is IMHO absolutely essential for that particular platform in this game when your solo or in SP.

However when it comes to the F-15E, sure having a back seat AI would add some more immersion and fidelity but the way I see actual day to day use in game with solo play or SP is going to be something like this; Me bringing up the radial menu and finding the right command and saying "hey WSO do this task for me" or I can save ten seconds and do it myself...So Yeah it'd be cool for sure but I just don't see myself actually using it to the degree you HAVE to in DCS: F-14. I know that's not how it works in the real deal but it is what it is for DCS. If you want to get hyper realism, you should find a buddy and do multi-crew.

Perhaps some refinement is in order for Jester down the road but that's my hot take on back seat AIs

Yeah, if i can find a few reliable human backseaters i might be tempted, cuz youre right jester does kinda suck. But so far wizzos online that fit my schedule are pretty hard to find, though ive enjoyed the f14 10x more with a GIB. Hence my preference for an AI even if it jester.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

The game engine that ED charges them 30% or more of their sales to use? The game engine ED constantly changes and breaks their module with? A game engine that is spasmodically broken half the time that does an incredibly poor job of simulating modern combat? That engine? Wow, such luxury. Plus Deka is probably a team of less than 10 part timers, while ED has what 100+ employees... Seriously Kev?
If it's that poor I don't get why you're still here and not anywhere else bearing in mind the overwhelming competence this game has :music_whistling:. I guess it's so easy to keep a game engine up to date for years and years nobody understands why ED doesn't do it better, and quicker, and cheaper, or even for free.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

Yes It takes time to get places. The game needs to evolve. It can't stay the same forever. Ive been around longer than you i remember the pre DC 2.5 EDGe days.

I have the benefit of perspective of seeing the evolution and appreciating the changes made. There are those who have been around even longer than me. And this game is fundamentally better now than it was back when DCS V1.2 was a thing. Dynamic Campaign and many other features for better "battlespace simulation" is eventually going to be a thing.

IF you think DCS is so poor at everything, why bother playing DCS or using ED products?

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

@Kev2Go

Yeah, it's come a long way. I think my very first forays, 1.2 was still a thing. That was way before I started scorching the forums, of course.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

I am completely with Harlikwin on this one. If F-15E was and still is operated in a way where the WSO does all the A/G stuff, target acquisition, lasing, weapon profiles, radar and CMS management; I definitely won't buy F-15E without AI WSO and just haul a dead WSO in the back doing all his stuff by myself. For me there is no point in having all the systems modeling and FM made to perfection, but operate the aircraft in a completely different way than it is operated/flown in the real world.

The real F-15E can be flown that pilot does everything. It is as well trained such, but it is not operated such.

Like other WSO platforms, the WSO has special controls that pilot doesn't have, as well priority for sensors. The pilot can do all same tasking, but just limited controls and displays, as well training.

Unlike the hornet, WSO has permanent stick and throttle (little limited one) and could fly and fight from rear. But again not trained to be a fighter pilot.

Nothing would deny F-15E to be flown alone as F-15C, you can leave extra tanks to base, pods etc and go just flying like F-15C in better performance. So you get both same time, C and E as one and capability do both.

And again, even today F-15C greatest upgrade is the PAD. That is there mainly for a new sniper TPOD, and to show engine management and RWR display that were in its place.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/21081/the-usaf-has-quietly-added-large-multi-function-cockpit-displays-to-its-f-15c-fleet

The F-15C wouldn't be so amazing as full fidelity module, far from it by its old design, that makes all others look very modern.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/21081/the-usaf-has-quietly-added-large-multi-function-cockpit-displays-to-its-f-15c-fleet

https://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/budget/fy2001/dot-e/airforce/01jhmcs.html

https://books.google.com/books?id=8eqzGv1bqQQC&lpg=PA57&ots=SEw6kAT4TY&dq=f-15C%20jhmcs&pg=PP1#v=onepage&q&f=false

The F-15C would be as full fidelity module not much different from current one, what now just managing more of its systems. And F-15E is major upgrade to its capabilities even as air to air set for the pilot.

And what comes to a WSO, i would take one even to Su-25T in a heartbeat. As it would be so much easier to fly fast attacks with a second performing the systems. As you do not come for a second round to try again after failed strike in first pass.

This is not so on helicopters where you gave more changes and KA-50 works great as solo pilot, but then again it is not for a attack like Mi-24 is.

This is as well reason I hope heatblur gets permission to turn their A-6 to full fidelity module from AI-only, as it would be the real ground pounder with interesting missions.

I will skip F-15E in begin as I hope to experience F-111 and Su-24 first with the A-6.

It is really a boring thing how we now start to demand a second player with us. As even if we could build second VR set easily next to, getting the person fly there is challenge for many.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

The F-15C wouldn't be so amazing as full fidelity module, far from it by its old design, that makes all others look very modern.

The Eagle has a dated cockpit in modern terms for sure, but for its time it was quite advanced. It wouldn't match the F-16/18 in complexity or functionality, but it far exceeds the F-14 for example and the M2000. Being a FC3 module is definitely costing us some features.

The F-15C would be as full fidelity module not much different from current one, what now just managing more of its systems.

This is true, but I think it's also significant. FC3 does an OK job of simulating aircraft, but again that simplicity comes at a cost. Radio is one example. Full modules give you much more control over what you end up hearing. FC3 aircraft just tune in to every channel at once. It can be painful to sort out radio traffic in large missions. The current F-15's radar is also pretty badly handicapped in terms of range and configuration. The one MFD it has is also stuck on the stores page which isn't terrible useful for me (though I admit I don't know the full functionality of this system). But in short one of the strong points of DCS is producing a convincing simulation of an aircraft. I'd definitely consider upgrading from FC3 to full worth it, even if the aircraft is "the same". You can also look at it in reverse. If say the F-16 went from full to FC3, you might end up losing things like EXP mode, SAM mode, datalink display or configurable stores. The DED would likely not be accessible with all of its helpful pages, etc.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

• 6 months later...

i mean sure the F-15C had a dated cockpit, but like, what more do you need? Unless you were using it for ground attack and would want to see for instance datalink and targeting pod information at the same time, one MFD is probably enough. which is probably why USAF has upgraded their pits

what I would look forward to as hinted to above is a hybrid/israeli F-15C with basically F-16 ground attack capability in a jet without ~3500lbs of extra weight