My Virpil VFX Upgrades

Hi guys,

so I own Virpil VFX #33 and i recently decided to do multiple upgrades on my stick. Some are easy DIY fixes i'd say anyone can do with just an allen wrench, others will be more complex and just an expression of my enthusiasm in engineering and mechanics.

I will use this thread as a little diary, adding pictures and descriptions to everything i've done and how the stick has improved since then.

This is what i've got planned:

Replace all buttons with Otto P1 switches (WIP)

Upgrade trim hat (New, more accurate 3D printed hat and a 4-way-gate like on the CM2 throttle hats)

3D printed Aluminium pinky lever, Trigger & DLC mechanism cover plate to add weight and rigidity

Reduce spring noise during trigger actuation (DONE)

Metal threaded inserts in all screw holes instead of self-tapping screws

Reduce gaps between the parts

Improve bearing function on DLC wheel, pinky lever and trigger (overkill adjusted bearing assembly with improved axles, bearings and sleeves)

What i've already done:

Replacing all Switches with Otto P1:

Otto switches have a much better feel and are much higher quality than any switches used on any consumer-joysticks. I currently have some Otto P1-11121 (heavy spring, red button) and P1-11112 (light spring, black button) test-fitted into the pickle-button and NWS/AP-Ref button holes with electrical tape. Since the P1-7 series of buttons is larger and has a flange, i suppose they will fit much better but mine wont arrive for another 6 weeks, so i'll have to wait.

Apart from soldering new connectors, the upgrade didnt require any modification so far.

Heres a picture of the much neater weapon release button:

picture.php?albumid=1882&pictureid=12104

For now, i have not done anything to the DLC button because installing a new button there requires a new DLC plate, drilling into the PCB (:eek:), getting a lower profile button and depending on the thickness of the Otto casing, i might have to offset it to the bottom because it'd interfere with the sensor for the DLC wheel.

Upgrade trim hat:

When my trim hat arrived, it sadly was crooked, is not gated and the shape is not very accurate. After i got my CM2 throttle, i realised they added 4 way gates to the hat base, which i will try too, and i also designed a new button that a buddy will 3D-print for me.

picture.php?albumid=1882&pictureid=12095 picture.php?albumid=1882&pictureid=12098

3D printed pinky lever, Trigger & DLC cover plate

Another flaw with my stick was the pinky lever. It being out of plastic is not that much of a problem, but the geometry on the inside seems slightly off, it doenst fully cover the microswitch, pressing on it at an angle and sometimes sliding off. So i designed a new one in CAD, which will pe printed as a prototype out of PLA, and if it fits, i'll get it 3D printed in an aluminium alloy.

picture.php?albumid=1882&pictureid=12094 picture.php?albumid=1882&pictureid=12097

When it comes to the trigger, the original one is made from nice plastic and has good feedback. But it isnt very accurate to the real thing (wrong width, curvature and no cutouts) so i tried to improve the curvature and added cutouts on the sides. I also corrected some of the internal geometry (it presses on the switches at an angle and i dont like the hinge mechanism which is basically plastic rotating on a screw).

I am still not completely sure wether i would want to throw away the money to get it done in metal, but i've got it in the back of my head, since i like the idea of the cold trigger feel of the warthog and think it might improve sound & response.

picture.php?albumid=1882&pictureid=12105

The DLC cover plate is nicely done but in order to improve the already great thumbwheel and to be able to offset the button, it will also be printed from aluminium after the prototype stage.

picture.php?albumid=1882&pictureid=12096

Reduce spring noise during trigger actuation:

Some of you might have noticed that the springs in the trigger tend to vibrate when you press and release the trigger.

With a very easy modification, you can get rid of it entirely:

Find any kind of loose foam that is used in packaging (i took mine from my headset box), cut it into pieces that are slightly thicker and longer than the springs and push those peaces inside the springs. They will act as a dampener and i havent heard of my springs since then.

That is all so far, i'll keep you updated!

Edited by Shaemus O'Donnelly

• 10 months later...
  • 2 years later...