VTAI: F-16C Fighting Falcon

We solved a lot of argument numbers of cockpit animations but we couldnt solve how we design a F-16 HUD AA and AG it must be multirole.

If we cant create F-16's MFDs, we thought how we can place F-15's MFDs, TEWS and A-10's camera.. but we couldnt..:huh:

These are our big problems for making a good F-16C..

33325326.jpg

21220788.jpg

29112725.jpg

45678548.jpg

Edited by c@sper

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be nice for them to do that, but I wonder how many will use those tools for evil things. :cry:

I suppose one could submit to ED but they don't have the time or resources so that is out. I guess trust must come in but as you say some may do the wrong things. Unfortunately for us.:cry:

I also adapted LEAVU2 to get the mechanical state of the aircraft and make a little display for arrestor hook state etc for carrier landing (since I often fly with VNAO). So this is entirely possible.

To be fair, this is a totally different animal, and quite simple by comparison. But I hear you on some of the programming/DX API stuff.... it's far from impossible, just similarly far from easy.

LawnDart,

Looking at the TO, the DFLCC will send signals to the command servo to schedule the LEF position depending on mach number, AOA and altitude. With Weight on both gears, wheel speed over 60 knots and throttle at idle or less the LEF will position 2 degrees up (or 1 inch above the strake) The full travel is 1 inch up ( 2 degrees) to 12 1/2 inches down ( 25 degrees)

My point is I think their model is good on that area

Thanks for looking into it. :)

• Like 1

[sigpic]http://www.virtualthunderbirds.com/Signatures/sig_LD.jpg[/sigpic]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Corsair 750D Case | Corsair RM850i PSU | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X CODE | 32GB Corsair DDR4 3200 |

Intel i7-8086K | Corsair Hydro H100i v2 Cooler | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW | Oculus Rift |

X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty | Samsung SSD 970 EVO 1TB NVMe | Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1TB | WD Caviar Black 2 x 1TB |

TM HOTAS Warthog | TM Pendular Rudder | TM MFD Cougar Pack | 40" LG 1080p LED | Win10 |

We solved a lot of argument numbers of cockpit animations but we couldnt solve how we design a F-16 HUD AA and AG it must be multirole.

If we cant create F-16's MFDs, we thought how we can place F-15's MFDs, TEWS and A-10's camera.. but we couldnt..:huh:

These are our big problems for making a good F-16C..

I don't know anything about programing nor modeling ( I'm just a dumb mechanic) but if you model an original A model, the A-10 video screen and the F-15 RADAR screen in FC2 would work. I have no idea how but it would be accurate in terms of the way avionics look like in the pit and you would only have to worry about one screen. Weapons configuration would be simple also. AIM-9, dumb bombs and mavericks.

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

I thought that there are probably argument numbers for MFD screens and HUD. Maybe we can experiment it with adding unknown argument numbers to flat materials in cockpit.

"Let my armies be the rocks, and the trees, and birds in the sky"

I thought that there are probably argument numbers for MFD screens and HUD. Maybe we can experiment it with adding unknown argument numbers to flat materials in cockpit.

It has been done, put your mind to rest. It's not possible without CMD tools, to any of our knowledge.

For someone who's spent a great deal of hours looking at F-16 shapes and versions, I'd have to agree. There's still a fair amount of work needed on this model. It doesn't take much for a shape like the F-16 to be "off" just enough, and a lot of times you can't put your finger on exactly what's wrong - but you know it ain't right.

Keep up the good work!

[sigpic]http://www.virtualthunderbirds.com/Signatures/sig_LD.jpg[/sigpic]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Corsair 750D Case | Corsair RM850i PSU | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X CODE | 32GB Corsair DDR4 3200 |

Intel i7-8086K | Corsair Hydro H100i v2 Cooler | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW | Oculus Rift |

X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty | Samsung SSD 970 EVO 1TB NVMe | Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1TB | WD Caviar Black 2 x 1TB |

TM HOTAS Warthog | TM Pendular Rudder | TM MFD Cougar Pack | 40" LG 1080p LED | Win10 |

But it should be!

100%

i7 7700K | 32GB RAM | GTX 1080Ti | Rift CV1 | TM Warthog | Win 10

"There will always be people with a false sense of entitlement.

You can want it, you can ask for it, but you don't automatically deserve it. "

• 3 weeks later...

Alper22 kindly gave me the mesh for the cockpit (as 3DS and OBJ). It only took a couple of hours to write an OBJ loader and have it project in 3D (I'm using Java with JoGL, so things are pretty easy).

There appears to be some reverse vertex normals in the converted OBJ so I've decided to switch to using 3DS directly. 3DS also allows animations of the cockpit controls (eg. landing gear lever). Unfortunately there isn't a decent stand-alone 3DS loader for Java. I'm looking at Java3D (although I personally prefer the bare-metal JoGL for the extra control) but have started writing my own 3DS loader (it's a bastard of a format). At the moment I have no time for the next week or so (trying to adapt the 104th's pilot stats system to the debrief.log changes in A-10C 1.1.0.8 and work commitments) and then I'll be back into it.

Once the cockpit model is loaded and shaded correctly the things left to do are:

* integrate the view direction with LockOn (easy, thanks to Yoda's work on Leavu2). This means the cockpit will move with TrackIR or whatever you use for pointing in LockOn.

* MFD and HUD texture-mapping. Easy. This gives the live MFD and HUD that the 141st guys wanted.

* 'Picking' this allows you to click on the MFD buttons in-cockpit. This is reasonably easy.

* overlay. There are several approaches for this. I'm gonna try quick n' dirty first and see how that goes.

* Optimization. Profiling everything and seeing where performance can be squeezed.

Anyway there is progress, a few days of solid work to complete, but finding the time at the moment is the hard part.

Edited by Moa
  • Like 1

Hey Moa! Thank you for informing us about your progress. As you know its possible to put HUD and MFD's on custom cockpits finally. So we might want to move upon this if you get tired on experiments.

"Let my armies be the rocks, and the trees, and birds in the sky"