Harrier or F/A-18C - which one offers the best vr experience?

sirrah

Today, after more than a year checking this forum and envying you guys (girls?), today I finally bought all parts for my vr pc build :)

Of course I still have to receive the parts, build it and get it to work properly... but just to keep my positive flow going, which of these modules would you suggest for me to start with?

F/A-18C or AV8B?

Eventually I'll purchase both of them, but I want to fully learn them one by one. Which of these modules would you say is more complete or gives the best allround vr experience? Or are they both equally good? (In which case I could just start with the cheaper AV8B module and wait for the F18 to get a bit cheaper :D)

Maybe good to know, my new system is based on a i7-8700k in combination with a 1080ti

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

Thanks for all the replies!

I didn't know the F-14 was just around the corner! (Or is this one of those "in about 2 weeks" jokes :P)

My vote would be the Harrier as it spends quite a bit of time at low speeds and altitudes much like a helicopter so the VR experience is excellent..

And yes I have them both and tried them both...

I was kinda leaning towards the Harrier for that exact reason.

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

They are both really nice cockpits to be inside of in VR. I think the Hornet is a better simulation overall, but each have their pros and cons.

Trapping in the Hornet in VR is a trip, as in VTOL in the Harrier.

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

So much choice! And, as I read all your replies, it doesn't matter what I choose to start with :thumbup:

I can't wait to step inside the cockpit

(anyone here by any chance want to get rid of their Rift cv1 for a friendly price? Maybe any of the Pimax backers? :D )

System specs:

I have not flown the Harrier yet, but I do know the F/A 18-C over the Persian Gulf is gorgeous in VR.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Just to make sure. Did I understand correctly that, when purchasing a module from steam, I will also be able to use that in the standalone version, whereas purchasing modules from ED website is for standalone only?

If so, why would anyone be purchasing from the ED website while prices in steam all seem to be ~€10 cheaper (at least at this moment) and you'll be limited to the standalone version?

Considering you won't need steam running in the background, will the standalone offer noticable better performance?

System specs:

Just to make sure. Did I understand correctly that, when purchasing a module from steam, I will also be able to use that in the standalone version, whereas purchasing modules from ED website is for standalone only?

If so, why would anyone be purchasing from the ED website while prices in steam all seem to be ~€10 cheaper (at least at this moment) and you'll be limited to the standalone version?

Considering you won't need steam running in the background, will the standalone offer noticable better performance?

I used to buy thru steam only but switched to stand alone for 2 reasons, Steam doesn't allow beta or early releases it has to be a full finish product. And ED gives you extra points for buying modules to use for next purchases. SO since most of the modules come out in beta releases I felt I was missing out!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I used to buy thru steam only but switched to stand alone for 2 reasons, Steam doesn't allow beta or early releases it has to be a full finish product. And ED gives you extra points for buying modules to use for next purchases. SO since most of the modules come out in beta releases I felt I was missing out!

Good point

The answer to both my questions just got answered by mail:

picture.php?albumid=1313&pictureid=10163

:thumbup:

System specs:

While it's not on the list, the UH-1 Huey in VR is a pretty incredible experience w/ DCS. I imagine the same is true w/ the other helicopters. That close-in experience where you tend to hug the ground is a notch above flying the high-performance fixed-wing experience, IMO.

That being said... VR is a blast in ALL of the aircraft. It really doesn't matter which one. I've also found it makes landings *much* easier and more intuitive than playing on the flat screen. You have a much better perception of speed / altitude / descent.

While it's not on the list, the UH-1 Huey in VR is a pretty incredible experience w/ DCS. I imagine the same is true w/ the other helicopters. That close-in experience where you tend to hug the ground is a notch above flying the high-performance fixed-wing experience, IMO.

That being said... VR is a blast in ALL of the aircraft. It really doesn't matter which one. I've also found it makes landings *much* easier and more intuitive than playing on the flat screen. You have a much better perception of speed / altitude / descent.

I do own the Huey module aswell. I kinda stopped playing it as I had way to much struggles to land it (on full realism settings of course). I giess in vr I should once again give that a try :P

(Small heads up, for those that didn't notice: F/A-18C and Persian Gulf are for free only this upcoming weekend)

System specs:

you can't go wrong with either. they're both great modules to fly via VR!

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Steam doesn't allow beta or early releases it has to be a full finish product.

That´s a thing from the past.

Besides, ED money is only valid when buying modules full price.

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

I do own the Huey module aswell. I kinda stopped playing it as I had way to much struggles to land it (on full realism settings of course). I giess in vr I should once again give that a try :P

(Small heads up, for those that didn't notice: F/A-18C and Persian Gulf are for free only this upcoming weekend)

Yeah, give it another try. The Huey is an absolute blast in VR, as is the Gazelle! Fortunately for me, I never had either until after getting my Rift, so landing seems almost too easy. I can put them on any spot I desire, including rooftops with relative ease.

As others have said, ALL of the DCS aircraft are amazing in VR! I don't have the Harrier, but the A-10C,

P-51D, Spitfire and Hornet are incredible. I'm currently having a blast in the Hornet! The Persian gulf map is a real beauty as well. I'm eagerly awaiting the Tomcat. I had the pleasure of recording one perform at the Atlantic City airshow back in 2003. That was just before they were mothballed.

What an impressive performance when he lit the burners over the beach!!! :thumbup:

~Redtail~

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

While in general I agree with all of you (saying all modules are fantastic in vr, you can't go wrong), I think the quality difference between the A-10C and the Hornet is huge! With the Hornet being the winner.

Not quite the surprise of course, considering the Warthog is like 6 or 7 years older. But I just thought it had to be said here ;)

(By the way, I didn't try the Harrier yet)

System specs:

I just found out that Steam modules released after the Mirage 2000 are no longer compatible with the stand alone version..

Just thought I'd share, just in case anyone is interested

System specs: